The basis of Democracy

25 minutes ago, SSScout said:

It is Monday afternoon.  I visited my dentist(I go back Wednesday morning to do the fillings, plural) , did a little attic cleaning, preparative to installing some more insulation,  Communicated and commiserated with lovely wife, and will soon depart for several more exo-home chores.  The last of which will be attending a pre election meeting for Election Judges.

All of those things (dentist, home repairs, chores, etc.) sound preferable to being an election judge.

1 hour ago, SSScout said:

Smile and wave as you stand in line, waiting to take your turn 

I smiled to myself. I voted last week. Yet there are still polling places to drop off the ballots. They smiled. It was like passing someone on a trail. They don't get nearly the rush of voters of having them all in 12 hours. 

Well, it turned out I was not needed in a "transport" mode, so tuesday night I first spent my time before 8pm helping to direct voters to the right table,  I then spent most of  tuesday evening folding up and stacking tables, chairs, pulling blue tape arrows off the floor, and re-packing a supply cart   the size of a small walk-in closet on wheels:::  (Boxes of pencils (eraser end used for tapping screens), hundreds of pens (used and unused), Boxes of PPE, extension cords, signs, paper clips, markers, zipper bags empty and refilled,  cardboard and plastic privacy screens,  various official forms,  blank note pads, magnifying screens (pretty nifty, I thought), clip boards, mylar face shields,   everything a small government office might use EXCEPT the computer stations...

TETRIS practice is a useful skill. I must remember to mention it on my next resume..... 

The ePollbooks were packed up and stacked THERE....   the Ballot Scanners were packed in their rolling vaults THERE . . .  the Ballot Marking Devices went over HERE.... Ballot collection boxes sealed and clipped shut.  Security forms vouched for and signed off on.  Security seals on the locks and those numbers vouched for and signed off on. The BoE truck will arrive later, the Chief Judges and Closing Judges must stay until all is accounted for and the Evidence Trail noted.  The rest of us were thanked and excused. 

Our CJs had nothing but praise for the crew.  It was noted that about half of them had also worked the Early Voting Sites the previous week. Long hours, not much monetary pay, but still.... We applauded our Chiefs, bid goodnight to our fellow workers, and departed.

I got home just before 10pm. 

• Upvote 4