Totin' Chip for Adults?

If you are in suburban Maryland in the near future, you can try your skill at.... wait for it....  Target Axe Throwing 

The first time (the ONLY time)  I tried this,  I bulls eyed, much to everyone's amazement ("awe, he's a Boy Scout leader, I forgot !") .  

This place is a "destination" for private parties, weddings, receptions,  biz meetings, and the like, but they have been much less busy of late, for obvious reasons. Group size limiting, masks and Covid distancing is encouraged and enforced,( to a degree). 

You sign a release,  get a SHORT instruction session from the "guard", and given three axes and your own target.  You can throw more than once, they are strict about walking to the target to retrieve your "implements"  and except for the occasional bounced off the target axe,  kind of interesting.   These are REAL hand axes, sharp, not  BSA  "trade"  hatchets.  

NOT a Scout campground .

Yes, adult beverages are available. AND they have an organic farm with fresh eggs and veggies for sale....

https://bellavitafarm.com/event/sister-axe-throwing-is-open/ 

Note the dates in the webpage.... 

I thought about doing axe throwing once at a birthday party held at an entertainment center.   We decided to race the go carts instead.   Right after that I saw a video of where the axe bounced back and about hit a lady in the head.  Luckily she ducked in time.  Yeah no thanks.  I will pass on that activity.  :eek:

Our troop does  knife throwing on a regular basis.  Have a mobile target, ribbon off space, use the smaller knives to throw.  Here's a pro-tip, make sure your knives have bright orange on them, or they will in fact get lost in the leaves or ground cover.

We have some throwing hatchets, but have not come up with a decent target that can be mobile.

• Upvote 1

Slightly tangential: our new PLC had its first meeting. The concluded that Totin' Chip will be one of the activities to cover in an upcoming meeting.

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 11/2/2020 at 8:46 PM, Jameson76 said:

Our troop does  knife throwing on a regular basis.  Have a mobile target, ribbon off space, use the smaller knives to throw.  Here's a pro-tip, make sure your knives have bright orange on them, or they will in fact get lost in the leaves or ground cover.

We have some throwing hatchets, but have not come up with a decent target that can be mobile.

Try taking some scrap 2x4s and gluing them together "butcher block" style to about 24" wide then cut them to 24"-30" long.  Then glue one 2x4 flat against the length of the back and extend it down about 3'-4'.  Then drill a hole through the top of the 2x4 backing strip and attach a 2x2 on each side of the 2x4 using a threaded bolt to make it stand like a tripod.