Girl Scouts Tweet Congratulation to Justice Barrett, then DELETE

7 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Rubbish. Showing girls that they have the potential to adjudicate on the highest court of the land is no more political than having boys hear from the siting POTUS.

For you, yes. For a (vocal) minority, the inclusion of a post that included a photo of Amy Coney Barrett was looked upon as some kind of endorsement or statement of support.

I'm not sure this really comes under the political heading. I know politics exposes the issue, but the very people that threatened the GSUSA for their congratulatory tweet are likely the same people who support women's equality. This comes more under "All people are equal! But some people are more equal than others". All kinds of irony.

Barry

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, BAJ said:

Though I don’t tend to come to a scouting board for the politics, if this is the discussion of the hour, I would submit for balance that there were apparently calls to boycott the Girl Scouts because Alexandria-Ocasio Cortez had been a past member.  Let’s at least appreciate that we have diversity in rage stoking mobs, even just in the niche market of “rage aimed at scouting organizations.” 

https://www.newsweek.com/ocasio-cortez-ridicules-writer-girl-scout-cookie-boycott-1355802

The same people would ban air because their political opponents breath it. 😄

1 hour ago, CynicalScouter said:

For you, yes. For a (vocal) minority, the inclusion of a post that included a photo of Amy Coney Barrett was looked upon as some kind of endorsement or statement of support.

A minority who don't understand plain English. One who also doesn't understand that the next POTUS could pack the court with a woman who they favor. What would they want the marketers at GS/USA do then?

One just can't cow-tow to mobs. Even when they don't see themselves as mobs.

There was a similar minority (including one of my scout moms) who were up in arms about what their sons were hearing live from POTUS last jamboree. Online, I defended a practice that, frankly, I am quite ambivalent about. I debriefed a scout upon his return. His mom had called him that evening afterword. He assured her that he wasn't expecting flashing red lights to suddenly appear the day he would first go to the poll. (I think he's eligible to vote this year.) This past couple of years, my faith in the youth of America has only grown.

But you do bring up an important point. Twitter is the worst place for an organization to reside. A group should rely on their own website to produce, and defend, their content. On social media leaders of an organization should post under their own names e.g. Miss Firstname Lastname, VP of x GS/USA. That's the sheer genius of Bryan on Scouting, it's official, but personal too. So when he or another writer spouts off an opinion, I know it's him. When it's in Scouting Magazine proper, I know it's more official and impersonal. I don' have to like it, but I know darn well if I want to complain about it, the letter to the editor should begin with "Dear Sir/Madame, ...." (Okay, not really. But anything disrespectful will be deleted.)

• Upvote 2
On 10/29/2020 at 11:19 AM, qwazse said:

Meanwhile, if you have a buddy who is replacing his classic Farah Fawcett poster with a full-size ACB, you call the helpline. I don't know which one, but he's gonna need it.

"you call the helpline?" ... That's 911 and the cops.  Sort of an contradiction.

ACB ?  Australian Cricket Board ?  Yep.  I'd call for help.  

• Haha 1