Scout Shop Restrictions

1 hour ago, 5thGenTexan said:

When I was in Cubs we had a two burner version of that stove.  We LOVED it.

Perfect for feeding a larger group and pretty well built.  Worth every cent at retail.  Nice that you got it at such a discount.

11 hours ago, mashmaster said:

How do you backpack with that?

:(  I can barely even get folks to consider a camping location without a toilet and running water.  Even one with a toilet, but only a lake for water nearly got shot down because "OMG what if the boys need water to drink and there isn't any?"  

Telling them, "There is a lake 500' away and we have filters, tablets and stoves" apparently wasn't enough reassurance for some of them.

11 hours ago, ParkMan said:

When I was in Cubs we had a two burner version of that stove.  We LOVED it.

Perfect for feeding a larger group and pretty well built.  Worth every cent at retail.  Nice that you got it at such a discount.

For summer camp, our troop adults bought a two burner version for the adult patrol.  We love it, but it's a beast.  A three burner version scares me.

Just now, fred8033 said:

For summer camp, our troop adults bought a two burner version for the adult patrol.  We love it, but it's a beast.  A three burner version scares me.

Hah!

We also had one of the higher output one burner versions too - for large pots of water, soups, etc...  That thing sounded like a jet engine.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

Imagine if you will there is no Covid and we can cook normal.  30 Cub Scouts + at least a parent...   Using two burners to cook and one to have water going is not out of the question.  

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, elitts said:

:(  I can barely even get folks to consider a camping location without a toilet and running water.  Even one with a toilet, but only a lake for water nearly got shot down because "OMG what if the boys need water to drink and there isn't any?"  

Telling them, "There is a lake 500' away and we have filters, tablets and stoves" apparently wasn't enough reassurance for some of them.

We just got back from weekend backpacking.  

The camping area was on a bend in a river.  River is up due to rains, so we had to have the boys figure a way to get to the river, step on to a downed tree to float the intake for the water filter.  Good times to get water, but on the plus side, sort of an unlimited supply

Just now, Jameson76 said:

We just got back from weekend backpacking.  

The camping area was on a bend in a river.  River is up due to rains, so we had to have the boys figure a way to get to the river, step on to a downed tree to float the intake for the water filter.  Good times to get water, but on the plus side, sort of an unlimited supply

Ugh.  Get yourself one of the gravity bag filter systems.  I remember when I was a scout and we had to use those cursed hand pumps whose manufactures apparently all thought, "An 8" intake hose is long enough right?".  Now all they have to do is scoop out some water with a bucket or bag, (in your situation you could hook a bag to a rope and just toss it out and pull it in) then let it hang off a tree or something for 10 minutes for 10L of clean water. 

Though personally, I prefer using a cloth pre-filter just to keep sediment out of the filter.

1 hour ago, elitts said:

Ugh.  Get yourself one of the gravity bag filter systems.  I remember when I was a scout and we had to use those cursed hand pumps whose manufactures apparently all thought, "An 8" intake hose is long enough right?".  Now all they have to do is scoop out some water with a bucket or bag, (in your situation you could hook a bag to a rope and just toss it out and pull it in) then let it hang off a tree or something for 10 minutes for 10L of clean water. 

Though personally, I prefer using a cloth pre-filter just to keep sediment out of the filter.

Agreed, the Platypus system rocks.  It works great.

I get you on the getting people to camp at cub level.  The key is to start getting the kids used to camping in their own tents, but this is a hard issue with COVID restrictions now.