Cyber Chip waiver

In the requirements for Tiger, one of them is Cyber Chip.  It says it can be waived if you don't have access to the internet.  It's the "you" that is the sticky part.  My kids don't have access to the internet beyond stuff on the TV.  None of the things mentioned are something they can relate to.  To me, it's something I should waiver until they are old enough to use the internet.  Their only access to cmputers are at home and school.  Both places are severely restricted and supervised.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 9:01 PM, Armymutt said:

Their only access to cmputers are at home and school.  Both places are severely restricted and supervised.  

That is true for most cubs. But they do access it, no? The skills are useful, if a little clunky. 

I do agree Protect Yourself is a better program, but a different topic. 

I have not been involved with Cubs in many years - before the Cyber Chip was added - so take this from an almost-outsider.  It seems to me this discussion is missing an opportunity and possibly missing the point.  What I read is that your kids do have access to the internet - it is restricted and supervised - but they do have access.  I read the intent of the waiver option as being for kids (families) who truly have no access - or no practical access. 

The requirement does not say for them to do the Cyber Chip on their own, or by themselves and I don't think that is the intent.  The whole Cub program, and especially the Tiger program, is intended to be done with a parent/guardian/family.  So - isn't the solution as simple as spending the time to do the Cyber Chip together with your Scout(s)?

Edited by jjlash
  • Upvote 3