Info on National Meritorious Action Award

My son has been nominated for National Meritorious Action award. I have recently learned about the existence of this award (and a bit more from the form itself) but unable to find details on profiles of past winners from recent history, stats on how many scouts were awarded this honor by year, by council or state etc. I also would like to know how the National Court of Honor works. Some references on this forum for the award are from several years back so not sure where to look for what I described above. Thanks for any  help you can provide.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

There was a recent discussion related to the Boys' Life Scouts in Action strip archive which may help.

https://boyslife.org/scouts-in-action/

https://boyslife.org/more-scouts-in-action/

This is very helpful and some of the stories I was able to read quickly are very inspiring. They all seem to be for Lifesaving awards though which is different from Meritorious Action award which doesn't necessarily involve the act of lifesaving and putting themselves at risk. I am also looking for information on how the national court of honor works and stats on (average number or specific per year) how many winners are selected each year across the nation, state etc.

Edited by Scouter20
1 hour ago, Scouter20 said:

This is very helpful and some of the stories I was able to read quickly are very inspiring. They all seem to be for Lifesaving awards though which is different from Meritorious Action award which doesn't necessarily involve the act of lifesaving and putting themselves at risk. I am also looking for information on how the national court of honor works and stats on (average number or specific per year) how many winners are selected each year across the nation, state etc.

I’m not sure about the stats. I don’t think there’s limit on the number of scouts who can earn the award. But it involves a substantial amount of paperwork. So, you have a diligent adult leader to thank for doing that.

National Courts of Honor are hosted by council and each council does it differently.

17 hours ago, qwazse said:

I’m not sure about the stats. I don’t think there’s limit on the number of scouts who can earn the award. But it involves a substantial amount of paperwork. So, you have a diligent adult leader to thank for doing that.

National Courts of Honor are hosted by council and each council does it differently.

Thank you. I was trying to see how exclusive this award winner group is. From all accounts including the criteria, it appears that this award is a really rare one but just didn't know how rare. As for national court of honor, some references suggest that award decision from council is forwarded to National Court and that is where I got confused as to who sits on that. I get that the celebration which is the special version of court of honor for national award like this is held at the council or unit level with senior most council representation desired.

Congrats to your scout for what they did.  Hopefully you let us know soon.  As far as the rarity of the award, my oldest scout received the National Heroism with crossed palms in 2013.  At that time, he was the 278 scout to ever receive it.  They are very rare.  There used to be list on the scouting.org website, but that list has since disappeared.

Edited by TWCub
  • 5 months later...

A quick update - It took a while (about 5+ months from nomination form submission to the council) but we recently learned that my son was selected to receive Medal of Merit. Sharing here so anyone else looking for similar information is aware that it can take a long time for the decision on these nominations.

• Like 1