Inaugural Eagle class

Can someone explain to me why this is really such a big deal?  I am not downplaying the girls that are and have been working hard on earning their Eagle, I commend them.  But is there a specific benefit a girl gets from being part of the innagural class of Eagle and someone the gets in a month later?  Isn't the point of earning the Eagle rank to be that they are basically equivalent in rank forever?  And Eagle scout is always and Eagle scout.  Maybe I am missing something.

https://www.scouting.org/programs/scouts-bsa/program-updates/?utm_source=scoutingwire&utm_campaign=swvolunteer9232020&utm_medium=email&utm_content=B

12 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

Can someone explain to me why this is really such a big deal?  I am not downplaying the girls that are and have been working hard on earning their Eagle, I commend them.  But is there a specific benefit a girl gets from being part of the innagural class of Eagle and someone the gets in a month later?  Isn't the point of earning the Eagle rank to be that they are basically equivalent in rank forever?  And Eagle scout is always and Eagle scout.  Maybe I am missing something.

https://www.scouting.org/programs/scouts-bsa/program-updates/?utm_source=scoutingwire&utm_campaign=swvolunteer9232020&utm_medium=email&utm_content=B

Because they are the first.

On 9/24/2020 at 8:30 PM, BAJ said:

I actually thought the Inaugural Class concept was an elegant way to defuse the potential for a subset of the new female scouts (of which my daughter was one [Edit: though she was advancement focused she isn’t going to be in the inaugural class]) racing against one another to be the Eagle with the earliest BOR date and therefore the recognized as the very first female Eagle Scout.  There are not that many opportunities in life to be the first of something, and for some people that possibility would be very.... motivating.  As has been discussed in other posts, possibly for some parents who really really wanted their daughter to be that trailblazer... that high stakes motivation could create some very non-scoutlike incentives.  The class concept took away the possibility of a single “winner” of that race by having a range of dates where everyone would be treated as part of that “group of trailblazers.”  Personally, I thought it was a pretty deft way to actually reduce a pressure that could have reinforced some of the very things folks here on the forum lament about how there is too great a focus on accumulation of badges and less on the rest of what makes the program beneficial to the youth.

Nationally yes, but the "first female Eagle Scout" acknowledgment appears in smaller circles - state, county, town ...which IMHO is only natural. Don't many of us find a "first" angle in our  own or our children's accomplishments. My SECOND son was my FIRST son to earn Eagle.  :)

A handful of women in other states have already become Eagle Scouts, but on Wednesday evening, in the parish hall of St. Andrew’s Anglican Church, the local Eagle Review Board voted to make Taylor the first female Eagle Scout in Wyoming.

The Doña Ana County Commission declared Aug. 25 Valerie del Plain Day in recognition of her becoming the first female Eagle Scout in Las Cruces, media and public communications manager Catherine Zaharko said.

But back to nationally,  how many Eagles will be in this Inaugural Class of Female Eagle Scouts? I guess we will have to wait until Feb, 2021 award ceremony? Will the venue be the Super Bowl? 

My $0.02,

• 4 months later...

Late to the game here but my observation in my Scouting District is that the female Eagle Candidates have an incredible, committed support network of Scouters available to help them earn their Eagle on this short timeline.  Do I agree with the short timeline?  Not at all.  What I find truly upsetting is that the male candidates do not have this support.  They don't have the Unit and District Scouters cheering them on and making them a priority.  Many can't even get an email returned.  One of my Scouts has been waiting to hear from his District Eagle Coach for two months, despite following up twice.  In the younger Scouts, many haven't earned any advancement since 2019.  Where is the support network for them?  COVID has caused many volunteers to 'check out' and fast tracking these ladies when many boys are floundering has already caused resentment, particularly when the boys know that Council level volunteers are laying out the red carpet for their daughters...

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, FaithfulScouter said:

Late to the game here but my observation in my Scouting District is that the female Eagle Candidates have an incredible, committed support network of Scouters available to help them earn their Eagle on this short timeline.  Do I agree with the short timeline?  Not at all.  What I find truly upsetting is that the male candidates do not have this support.  They don't have the Unit and District Scouters cheering them on and making them a priority.  Many can't even get an email returned.  One of my Scouts has been waiting to hear from his District Eagle Coach for two months, despite following up twice.  In the younger Scouts, many haven't earned any advancement since 2019.  Where is the support network for them?  COVID has caused many volunteers to 'check out' and fast tracking these ladies when many boys are floundering has already caused resentment, particularly when the boys know that Council level volunteers are laying out the red carpet for their daughters...

I agree with your post fully. I lost Scouts because of this. They didn't see the point anymore. Not saying that is right or wrong, everyone has their own opinions. They were disgusted and discouraged that the females were becoming Eagles in less than two years. Just as Faithful said, they were highly encouraged and setup to do so. I do not agree with this short time span either. I would never encourage one of my Scouts to earn Eagle in less than two years. If you do I feel you are missing the point.  It's not a contest. Its not a race. I feel it was turned into that though. We will continue to keep a steady and sure pace in my Troop. 

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, tnmule20 said:

They were disgusted and discouraged that the females were becoming Eagles in less than two years. Just as Faithful said, they were highly encouraged and setup to do so. I do not agree with this short time span either. I would never encourage one of my Scouts to earn Eagle in less than two years. 

Every scout has always had the option to earn Eagle in less than two years.  I agree that it does not produce the best result.  Scouting is a journey of experiences; not an award.  .... I'd ask a question though.  You do not encourage, fine.  I fully agree.  ... But do you discourage scouts earning in less than two years?  I see far too many scouters actually trying to slow down scouts.  I just don't think that's an example we should be setting.  

I pray that I've never "slowed down" a scout.  I say that because of a memory when I was new parent in Boy Scouts.  The troop had a scout that was all excitement and energy.  He'd earn awards as fast as he could.  He loved completing requirements and doing new things.  It wasn't his parents.  It was him.   A few ASMs told him multiple times to relax; slow down; you've got time.  Sadly, he left and went to do other things.  He was at least first class and way, way more merit badges than needed for Eagle.  Camped monthly with us for at least two years.  The kid basically had completed all requirements for Eagle except a project.  ... I saw that holding him back as a major cause of him choosing to spend his time elsewhere.  I'll always be sad he did not finish. 

Each scout has his own journey.   Our job is to let each scout have his own journey, experiences ... and time-frame.   

39 minutes ago, tnmule20 said:

It's not a contest. Its not a race. I feel it was turned into that though. We will continue to keep a steady and sure pace in my Troop. 

As earning Eagle is highly valued, opening the door to new Eagle candidates was gauranteed to be a race.  A race to be first.  A race against time.  ... "Inaugural class" is the best way to recognize that it's not a race and it's about the journey.   BSA is not recognizing the fastest.  Rather, BSA is recognizing the huge transition welcoming girls to scouting.

This has needed to happen for a long time.  We should celebrate.  I hope we tell our male scouts that too.

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 3

I have seen far too many Scouts slowed down because they 'have time'.  I have seen Scouts who weren't favored by their Scoutmaster maliciously delayed in their journey to Eagle.  If everyone followed the rules we wouldn't have these issues, but all Scouts aren't being given the same playing field and it unfortunately does lead to resentment.  

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

But do you discourage scouts earning in less than two years?

No. I don't have to. 

There is a maturity gap between males and females at this age and the boys tend not to be as motivated as the girls are.  We all knew it would be that way when the BSA allowed girls. 

Thanks for your insight.