Son starting Lions

23 minutes ago, MattR said:

A lab/golden mix ...

@MattR, It sounds like your son's dog is my dog's evil twin. (Someone's chocolate took a shining to someone's golden.) Yes, he needs to get out. He'll hike till he drops. Those poor hips aren't doing mine any favors.

And @heres_a_llama, being in GS/USA as long as you were, you understand the risks. People have not changed. @SemperParatus may have an axe to grind. But, his concern is valid. At the end of the day, people trust us adult leaders beyond the organization's ability to assure our integrity. Learning our Youth Protection Training is the best asset you and your son will have. If any of that unnerves you, post your concerns, we creepy strangers on the internet might be able to walk you through it.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome. My advice would be find another activity for your son.  Scouting is in a death spiral.

Old Eagle Scout and new Lion Dad here... I’m jumping back into scouting with a kindergarten daughter. That’s not something I would have ever dreamed of when I was a scout, and I couldn’t be more excit

This is the part of the forum to welcome new members.  Coming into this forum and telling a new, enthusiastic parent that: Is just picking on a new member. You want to have that conversati

Mama Llama, you are in Nawth Kay Row Linah.  I truthfully know nothing about your situation.   Up here in the Washington DC area, we have many active, wonderful  Packs and Troops of Jewish consideration. I have a good Scout buddy,  Scoutmaster of one, just earned his Wood Badge.

Here is a connection for you:    https://www.jewishscouting.org/ 

Remember the Cub Scout Mantra:   KiS MiF, KiS MiF... keep it simple, make it fun.

See you on the trail....   

1 hour ago, BlueandSilverBear said:

Old Eagle Scout and new Lion Dad here... I’m jumping back into scouting with a kindergarten daughter...

Have you bought your adult uniform yet? Might as well, it's just a matter of time if the Pack finds out you're an Eagle Scout, you'll find yourself "volunteered" for a uniformed position real soon. 😄

Welcome back!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, BlueandSilverBear said:

Old Eagle Scout and new Lion Dad here... I’m jumping back into scouting with a kindergarten daughter. That’s not something I would have ever dreamed of when I was a scout, and I couldn’t be more excited.

Scouting absolutely prepared me for life... and the Air Force Academy, 7 years on active duty, 4 (and counting) in the reserves, Wall Street, and everything in between. What else provides kids an opportunity to camp, hike, shoot, swim, sail, ride... and learn to lead and be good people along the way?

If that’s what you’re looking for, you’re in the right place. It’s only been a few weeks, but I haven’t seen any national issues affecting our Pack, just people passionate about developing our kids into leaders and citizens of character. 

I share your sentiments. Scouting isn't just an activity to me; it's a lifestyle. It is character development, it is patriotism and citizenship, it is outdoor skills, it is leadership, it is service to other, it is finding out who you are and what you're capable of, it is a worldwide mission and organization that recognizes and honors our differences and unites us in our many similarities. I don't see similar opportunities from soccer, karate, or piano, or at least not for the particular son I have. 

My cousins were MP in the Air Force. Stationed in Japan, Qatar, and Nebraska. Congratulations on Air Force Academy and a long and honorable career in service to our country. 

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, David CO said:

scouting has become an alternative lifestyle.

Every "style"  is an alternative.  Like the carny barker said, "ya pays yer money and takes yer cherce".  What we are doing, methinks, is making sure our Scouts understand better the choices. The 'alternatives'.  And the results of those choices. 

Some folks call it 'Karma', I guess.  

• Like 1
On 9/25/2020 at 10:08 PM, FireStone said:

Have you bought your adult uniform yet? Might as well, it's just a matter of time if the Pack finds out you're an Eagle Scout, you'll find yourself "volunteered" for a uniformed position real soon. 😄

Welcome back!

Haha that’s what the lady at the Scout Shop said, too! Honestly, I’ll be happy to jump in wherever I’m needed.

I haven’t bought a uniform yet, but I rounded up a bunch of old patches at my parents’ house just in case. We’re in the same Council where I was a scout, so I’m planning on rocking my 1990s CSP and early-2000s Lodge flap. 

Next weekend we’re going to a one day mini-day camp at one of our Council camps. The same camp where I went to day camp, camped with my Troop, took and staffed our Council pre-NYLT course, and completed my Ordeal. The same camp where my grandfather went to summer camp.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
On 9/27/2020 at 11:08 AM, BlueandSilverBear said:

Haha that’s what the lady at the Scout Shop said, too! Honestly, I’ll be happy to jump in wherever I’m needed.

I haven’t bought a uniform yet, but I rounded up a bunch of old patches at my parents’ house just in case. We’re in the same Council where I was a scout, so I’m planning on rocking my 1990s CSP and early-2000s Lodge flap. 

Next weekend we’re going to a one day mini-day camp at one of our Council camps. The same camp where I went to day camp, camped with my Troop, took and staffed our Council pre-NYLT course, and completed my Ordeal. The same camp where my grandfather went to summer camp.

Love it.  I wish I could say the same, but at least I was able to POINT at the Scout camp of my yoooth for my nascent Scoutson (Camp Roosevelt on the Chesapeake Bay, now part of the Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant).

*sigh*

Edited by SSScout
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 8:08 AM, BlueandSilverBear said:

Once you are in the OA, you have lifetime access to it and can re-join it at any time as an adult. If you haven't yet, this is a great time to renew your OA membership and yes, rock that ancient lodge flap!