Son starting Lions

Hello, happy to find this forum.

I was a Brownie and Junior Girl Scout, and have very fond memories of my time in scouting. My son just turned 5, so we're visiting a Lion's Den meeting this week in the Triangle region of North Carolina. 

Looking forward to learn from you all as I learn about Scout BSA's culture and program.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome. My advice would be find another activity for your son.  Scouting is in a death spiral.

Old Eagle Scout and new Lion Dad here... I’m jumping back into scouting with a kindergarten daughter. That’s not something I would have ever dreamed of when I was a scout, and I couldn’t be more excit

This is the part of the forum to welcome new members.  Coming into this forum and telling a new, enthusiastic parent that: Is just picking on a new member. You want to have that conversati

On 9/17/2020 at 10:09 PM, heres_a_llama said:

Hello, happy to find this forum.

I was a Brownie and Junior Girl Scout, and have very fond memories of my time in scouting. My son just turned 5, so we're visiting a Lion's Den meeting this week in the Triangle region of North Carolina. 

Looking forward to learn from you all as I learn about Scout BSA's culture and program.

1) WELCOME TO DA FORUMS!

2) Occonneechee Council is a really good one that offers lots of opportunities.

Just now, SemperParatus said:

Welcome.

My advice would be find another activity for your son.  Scouting is in a death spiral.

Scouting is done best at the unit level.  What happens in a local den and pack is one of the most important parts of Scouting to a Lion.  As a Cub Scout, I knew next to nothing of the world outside my pack.  Lawsuits, bankruptcies, councils, you name it - they are all interesting and somewhat relevant to adults, but not to most youth, and even more so not at the Cub Scout level.

I wouldn't sweat all the distractions and discussions that permeate much of the focus of these forums.

• Upvote 2

When the BSA is no more...units will no longer exist.  Heck, units are disbanding right and left around the country as CO's are compelled to disassociate themselves from the BSA. Why invest energy into an activity that has a very good chance of shutting down in the not too distant future? Fond memories of scouting will not save the BSA (and units).

• Downvote 4
10 minutes ago, SemperParatus said:

When the BSA is no more...units will no longer exist.  Heck, units are disbanding right and left around the country as CO's are compelled to disassociate themselves from the BSA. Why invest energy into an activity that has a very good chance of shutting down in the not too distant future? Fond memories of scouting will not save the BSA (and units).

I've seen no COs disassociate from the BSA in the past few years.  This is simply not true.

Everyone involved knows that the bankruptcy is related to actions many years ago and is not representative of actions of the BSA today.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
29 minutes ago, SemperParatus said:

@SemperParatus you've got quite the tenure here! Thanks for your service to Scouting, past or present. 

That being said, you clearly aren't happy with the BSA for untold reasons. So why are you still participating here? Don't you have something better to do? 

• Upvote 4