Annual Health and Medical Record/Medical Form - policy against digital ?

Another pro tip...

Carry a few copies of the BSA Health and Supplemental Insurance Form (or other form if you have a different insurance) in your medical binder.  If you give those to the provider and explain it is supplemental, you can save parents aome headaches and bucks down the road.

Our supplemental insurance through our council covers any co-pays...

https://www.hsri.com/forms/claim forms-approved/Boy Scouts of America/Boy Scouts of America - Council & Unit.pdf

You will still need to fill out and get a form signed at your council office when you return home, though, in order for the claim to be processed.

Uber-pro tip...

If you have any Scouts or Scouters who are covered by TRICARE (health insurance for military members, retirees, and their dependents), then BSA Health and Supplemental, by federal law, becomes primary, and provides full coverage.  No claims should be filed with TRICARE.  Again, if this applies, it could save some headaches.  Providers will need the same form as above, or your whoever your insurer is...

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

An interesting twist is Michigan Crossroads Council has moved to an online WebDic or something.

This would be great. I wouldn’t even mind if I had to print a consolidated report. 

Please national, take $4 of our fee and do something like this. Make our lives easier. 

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

Please national, take $4 of our fee and do something like this. Make our lives easier. 

Going to have to budget for non registered folks who participate.    Probably upwards of $6 per participant, per year for a nationwide solution.    Willing to add that on, or subsidize it let me know.   

13 minutes ago, RichardB said:

Or a more positive way of looking at this would be these venues offer an opportunity of proof of concepts at scale.  

Agreed...and they have already done it.  But download the form, then get it filled out/signed, then uploaded again is horrible.  

Even the government has figured this one out...the FAA has an online "secure" medical clearance website called MedXpress. 

https://medxpress.faa.gov/medxpress/

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/medxpress.pdf

Aviators and air traffic controllers (in the works) create an account, and put in all their medical info before their provider visit.  At the visit, the provider logs in to complete some additional data and "clear" the pilot to fly.  Bada bing, bada boom...you have an FAA Medical Certificate and are flying in/managing our national airspace.

With standardized data, you can easily pull an "caution" report for your outing.  Print out forms if you are going someplace with no access...

The hurdle here is cost (of course) and to get parents on board for A&B, and providers on board for Part C, with accounts to log in and provide data and clearance.  But, with  (from 2019 Annual Report) 2.1M youth and 800K adult volunteers, plus outing visitors (yes, all participants must have the form) that could possibly be the largest medical database in existence.

Possible, but highly improbable this would ever come to be...

10 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Agreed...and they have already done it.  But download the form, then get it filled out/signed, then uploaded again is horrible.  

Even the government has figured this one out...the FAA has an online "secure" medical clearance website called MedXpress. 

https://medxpress.faa.gov/medxpress/

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/medxpress.pdf

Aviators and air traffic controllers (in the works) create an account, and put in all their medical info before their provider visit.  At the visit, the provider logs in to complete some additional data and "clear" the pilot to fly.  Bada bing, bada boom...you have an FAA Medical Certificate and are flying in/managing our national airspace.

With standardized data, you can easily pull an "caution" report for your outing.  Print out forms if you are going someplace with no access...

The hurdle here is cost (of course) and to get parents on board for A&B, and providers on board for Part C, with accounts to log in and provide data and clearance.  But, with  (from 2019 Annual Report) 2.1M youth and 800K adult volunteers, plus outing visitors (yes, all participants must have the form) that could possibly be the largest medical database in existence.

Possible, but highly improbable this would ever come to be...

But doesn't your "provider" have to be a FAA approved Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) for this online system?

1 minute ago, RememberSchiff said:

But doesn't your "provider" have to be a FAA approved Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) for this online system?

Yes, but any licensed provider could do it.  They just have to enter their info, just as on the BSA form.

And yes, people cheat.  We have had parents fake Part C's before, and called them on it, discretely of course.

• Thanks 1

How can we make something so simple, so complicated?

PDF the forms of the entire troop, Scouts and Scouters.  
Put them in a folder, then zip the folder with a passcode.
Put it on selected Scouters smartphones for the camp out. 
At the end of camp, have the Scouters delete the zip file. 

Problem, solved. 

21 minutes ago, John-in-KC said:

How can we make something so simple, so complicated?

PDF the forms of the entire troop, Scouts and Scouters.  
Put them in a folder, then zip the folder with a passcode.
Put it on selected Scouters smartphones for the camp out. 
At the end of camp, have the Scouters delete the zip file. 

Problem, solved. 

something like this is what I would like to do.   But...

On 9/17/2020 at 11:58 AM, CynicalScouter said:

Same reason why adult applications and 90% of the registration process is paper: institutional inertia and (most recently) the mass layoff at National crippled their ability to anything new.

I always thought it was because our events have more trees than power outlets.  :)

Edited by fred8033
  • Haha 1

A few comments.  

• I have no issue with people scanning records.  
  • If scanned, you need to assume it will exist for a long time ... longer than you planned and ... in more hands than you'd ever expect. 
    • It's unrealistic to expect volunteer parents to cleanly purge records.  
    • It's unrealistic to expect volunteer parents to cleanly follow paperwork procedures. 
    • At least with paper, it's a physical limitation.  Where's the paper ?  It takes space.  It requires explicit hand off.  They don't proliferate without action. 
    • I've found paper records from 20+ years ago.  As I've found old paper records, I've also found old electronic records ... in weird spots. 
    • All it takes is a volunteer change.  One volunteer has one procedure.  The next has a different one.  
    • If your troop changes the volunteer lead for each campout, I'd expect electronic records to spread wide and fast. 
  • Our troop procedure
    • Our SM / camping coordinator shared responsibility for the health forms.  
    • On many trips, there was a two gallon zip lock bag stored strategically in the scoutmasters backpack. 
    • Other times, it was in the troop trailer in a small locked cabinet.
    • Other times, it was with the official medicine person if we had one.
  • Usefulness
    • Hospitals / emergencies ... I've found doctors don't really trust the form in emergencies.  They glance at it, but then need to still do everything.  ... And sadly, I've probably been involved in 5 to 10 ER trips.  ... Thankfully, none in the last four years.  
    • Troop volunteers ... I've found the form most useful to the key adults in the troop to know how to dispense medicine or handle emergencies inside the troop.

I find the whole medical form thing to be way more debated / stressed than it really needs to be.  Get a paper copy.  But it in a binder or a zip lock bag alphabetically.  Then, move on.

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 2