Help me find a uniform for my sensory kid

My daughter loves the way her uniform shirt looks, but she hates the way it feels and can only stand to wear it for short periods of time. She likes the pants she has, so we are good there.

The uniform we have is 67% cotton, and the weave is a little stiff. I know there have been a lot of different materials available in the last 20 or so years! At one point there was a soft, supple nylon uniform shirt. Was that the Centennial uniform? I just can't recall. I never liked them much and always stuck with vintage 90's shirts for myself and my older kids. What would you search for on eBay to find a soft and flexible sort of uniform shirt? 

My daughter wears a girls' 14 and could probably do well with a Youth Large or XL, or Ladies' small to give her some growing room. She's very tall for her age (10). Her current uniform shirt is a Boy's cut, pre-ScoutsBSA, Youth Size Large. 

I'm looking at this one and thinking I could convert it to a Class A with the right patch placement (I have some Boy Scouts of America strips I can sew on the front). https://ebay.us/lwximt - or maybe this onehttps://ebay.us/p3fInN 

10 minutes ago, Liz said:

My daughter loves the way her uniform shirt looks, but she hates the way it feels and can only stand to wear it for short periods of time. She likes the pants she has, so we are good there.

The uniform we have is 67% cotton, and the weave is a little stiff. I know there have been a lot of different materials available in the last 20 or so years! At one point there was a soft, supple nylon uniform shirt. Was that the Centennial uniform? I just can't recall. I never liked them much and always stuck with vintage 90's shirts for myself and my older kids. What would you search for on eBay to find a soft and flexible sort of uniform shirt? 

My daughter wears a girls' 14 and could probably do well with a Youth Large or XL, or Ladies' small to give her some growing room. She's very tall for her age (10). Her current uniform shirt is a Boy's cut, pre-ScoutsBSA, Youth Size Large. 

I'm looking at this one and thinking I could convert it to a Class A with the right patch placement (I have some Boy Scouts of America strips I can sew on the front). https://ebay.us/lwximt - or maybe this onehttps://ebay.us/p3fInN 

I feel for you. I have the same issue as do both my sons. There is a shirt style I bought a few years ago that is 100 % polyester that both did OK with. It was very soft and pretty breathable for polyester. We mostly can't wear anything but soft cotton, certain kinds of polyester, and cotton lycra. I don't remember if they made youth sizes because all of mine are men's, the smallest being men's small. I would bet you would be able to find in hand me down bins in one of your other local troops if you explained your problem and asked or maybe on ebay. The other thing I tried to do with those scratchy stiff cotton shirts was to wash the heck out of them and again look for well worn hand me downs that had softened up a bit. The uniform is one of my issues with scouts. It's expensive, often uncomfortable, and mostly impractical for what these kids are doing. Good luck. 

I totally agree with your daughter.  I too am fabric sensitive.  All of the scout shirts feel horrible to me.  I won't wear one.  So I don't wear the uniform.  Uniforms aren't required to participate in scouting.  

I am hesitant to recommend that anyone alter a uniform shirt, or customize a different shirt to resemble a uniform shirt.  I also don't go along with wearing parts of the uniform with non-uniform wear.  In my mind, it is all-or-nothing.  Wear the uniform or don't wear it.  Your choice.

All of my shirts are made of French terry knit cotton.  Incredibly comfortable.  Very practical outdoors.  Looks a little casual for dress wear, but it doesn't show much if you wear it with a nice sweater or sports jacket.  A teacher can get away with it.  I think it would be a great material for scout uniform shirts.

Edited by David CO
18 minutes ago, yknot said:

I feel for you. I have the same issue as do both my sons. There is a shirt style I bought a few years ago that is 100 % polyester that both did OK with. 

Does this look like the same shirt as the one you had? https://ebay.us/8GVbTk 

I don't like that the patches are glued on, but I can sew velcro over the patch placements and never have to look at it again.

21 minutes ago, David CO said:

I am hesitant to recommend that anyone alter a uniform shirt, or customize a different shirt to resemble a uniform shirt.  I also don't go along with wearing parts of the uniform with non-uniform wear.  In my mind, it is all-or-nothing.  Wear the uniform or don't wear it.  Your choice.

All of my shirts are made of French terry knit cotton.  Incredibly comfortable.  Very practical outdoors.  Looks a little casual for dress wear, but it doesn't show much if you wear it with a nice sweater or sports jacket.  I think it would be a great material for scout uniform shirts.

I totally hear where you are coming from. My daughter is proud of her uniform and WANTS to wear it, she just starts begging to take it off halfway through the meeting. The shirt I'm looking at is an official BSA shirt, just not technically a uniform shirt. As far as I can tell the only difference is the lack of a flag patch (easily fixable), the lack of the red lettering above the front pocket (also easily fixable), and the insignia which I'll have to apply to any shirt anyway. 

Or... maybe if she likes it, she can just wear it as a "Class B." I wish I knew what it felt like. 

The shirts you describe sound like they'd make a great uniform. I'd love to be on the uniform revision team. *sigh*

14 minutes ago, Liz said:

Does this look like the same shirt as the one you had? https://ebay.us/8GVbTk 

I don't like that the patches are glued on, but I can sew velcro over the patch placements and never have to look at it again.

Yes it looks the same with the same label and same net vent over the shoulders. I don't know what your daughter's specific sensitivity issue is but the fabric is soft, light, and not scratchy. 

17 minutes ago, yknot said:

Yes it looks the same with the same label and same net vent over the shoulders. I don't know what your daughter's specific sensitivity issue is but the fabric is soft, light, and not scratchy. 

I don't really know what it is either! She isn't actually THAT picky about her clothing, but then again I don't think she owns anything that's as stiff as her uniform shirt either. She has a difficult time describing abstract feelings or concepts so the best I can get out of her is "It's uncomfortable." She does like soft things though. So I'm hoping this will work. I think it's worth a shot. If she likes it I can keep an eye out for bigger sizes. :) 

The microfiber shirt is softer.  

You violate the rules "making" a BS shirt out of a different brand.  "It's OK to break the rules, Honey, if we really want to."

A "uniform" would all look the same.  BSA ended uniforms years ago on the grounds that it would increase revenue to increase choice.  Now they have a brand of assorted garments they wish you to buy

59 minutes ago, David CO said:

I totally agree with your daughter.  I too am fabric sensitive.  All of the scout shirts feel horrible to me.  I won't wear one.  So I don't wear the uniform.  Uniforms aren't required to participate in scouting.  

All of my shirts are made of French terry knit cotton.  Incredibly comfortable.  Very practical outdoors.  Looks a little casual for dress wear, but it doesn't show much if you wear it with a nice sweater or sports jacket.  A teacher can get away with it.  I think it would be a great material for scout uniform shirts.

BSA "Sanforized" cotton shorts, shorts,, and trousers, back when there was a uniform, got softer and softer as worn and washed.   After a few months, they felt great!   Repeated washing of the 100% cotton short should soften it.   To me, the cotton/polyester blend feels worst of the choices - slippery when you perspire and never softens.

5 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

The microfiber shirt is softer.  

You violate the rules "making" a BS shirt out of a different brand.  "It's OK to break the rules, Honey, if we really want to."

A "uniform" would all look the same.  BSA ended uniforms years ago on the grounds that it would increase revenue to increase choice.  Now they have a brand of assorted garments they wish you to buy

Relax, I am going to try the Microfiber official uniform one first. :) 

I wasn't planning to make one out of a different brand; I was just considering taking an official BSA "not really a uniform because it doesn't have the insignia" shirt and adding insignia to it. But it still fits the "brand of assorted garments they wish you to buy" standard. 

But really I'd prefer an official uniform if I can find one that makes my kiddo happy to wear it. 

1 minute ago, TAHAWK said:

BSA "Sanforized" cotton shorts, shorts,, and trousers, back when there was a uniform, got softer and softer as worn and washed.   After a few months, they felt great!   Repeated washing of the 100% cotton short should soften it.   To me, the cotton/polyester blend feels worst of the choices - slippery when you perspire and never softens.

She was fine with her blue shirt, which was softer and probably more pre-loved than her tan one. Maybe I wash the heck out of it, it will get more comfortable, but I'm not sure it will happen with her cotton/poly blend. But let's see how she does with the microfiber.  

48 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

You violate the rules "making" a BS shirt out of a different brand.  

Though calling it a BS shirt would more accurately convey my feelings about the scout uniform,  I think I'll stick to calling it either a scout uniform or a BSA uniform.  ;)  I never know when the nuns might be standing behind me with a ruler in their hands.

Edited by David CO
1 hour ago, Liz said:

Relax, I am going to try the Microfiber official uniform one first. :) 

I wasn't planning to make one out of a different brand; I was just considering taking an official BSA "not really a uniform because it doesn't have the insignia" shirt and adding insignia to it. But it still fits the "brand of assorted garments they wish you to buy" standard. 

But really I'd prefer an official uniform if I can find one that makes my kiddo happy to wear it. 

She was fine with her blue shirt, which was softer and probably more pre-loved than her tan one. Maybe I wash the heck out of it, it will get more comfortable, but I'm not sure it will happen with her cotton/poly blend. But let's see how she does with the microfiber.  

Chill.  I am low on the Uniform Police scale because I don't see a "uniform."  If BSA  restored a uniform, I  would reconsider.

3 hours ago, yknot said:

The last thing I can suggest if you still have trouble is a light cotton t shirt or Class B t shirt underneath. This helps if it isn't too hot for layers.

That's more or less what we do anyway. I actually have her wear a plain white "under shirt" under the uniform at all times, partly to help her have something softer against her skin and partly so she can remove the outer layer if she really needs to. Sometimes she wears a different t-shirt under it.