5thGenTexan

New Council Fee

4 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

That's unfortunate.  

The Scouting world has such a weird dynamic to it.  Professionals, council boards, council volunteers vs. district volunteers vs. unit volunteers.  For a movement that is all about developing leaders, we seem to know so little about how to develop leadership in adult volunteers.  It's very strange.

BSA often does not follow what they teach about leadership or values.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sentinel947 said:

De facto vs de jure. De facto discrimination is alive and well. De jure discrimination is mostly gone, although there are some places where laws are passed because they disproportionately effect people in one group or another. Discrimination today is typically much more subtle and less overt than in the 1960's, making it easier for people to pretend it doesn't exist. 

I struggle though with how to reconcile the gains and successes we've had as a country in the last 50 years.  Even in my lifetime, I see a noticeable difference in the amount of racism and increase in the amount of equality in our social structures.  I applaud that we continue to focus on rooting out discrimination and racism.

Yet, to listen to my teenage kids talk, our country is an awful place full of racists.

I don't know how to communicate to my kids with any credibility that we've come so far as a country from what it was 50, 100, or more years ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Passing judgment when ignorant of the facts is simple.  Those who know the facts find it harder to judge.

On 9/19/2020 at 7:09 PM, ParkMan said:

I struggle though with how to reconcile the gains and successes we've had as a country in the last 50 years.  Even in my lifetime, I see a noticeable difference in the amount of racism and increase in the amount of equality in our social structures.  I applaud that we continue to focus on rooting out discrimination and racism.

Yet, to listen to my teenage kids talk, our country is an awful place full of racists.

I don't know how to communicate to my kids with any credibility that we've come so far as a country from what it was 50, 100, or more years ago.

That's the beauty of postmodern philosophy invading every aspect of culture, media, and education.  There are no objective truths, there are no facts outside of their interpretation by the receiver, there is no objective reality.  Your personal feelings are as good as actual facts, because, facts are filtered by the power structure. 

Your kids believe America is an awful place because some teacher, media person, pop culture personality told them so.  The personal also told them that any "facts" that contradict that feeling are racist because facts are a tool of the oppressor class.  This creates an unfalsifiable premise because anything that contradicts the premise is deemed racist (or sexist or homophobic or islamaphobic or genderphobic or whatever the case may be).  When confronted with actual facts or data, the postmodern simply has to say "I don't feel like that's true" and the debate is over.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/postmodernism-philosophy

https://areomagazine.com/2017/03/27/how-french-intellectuals-ruined-the-west-postmodernism-and-its-impact-explained/

• Upvote 1