• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I struggle though with how to reconcile the gains and successes we've had as a country in the last 50 years.  Even in my lifetime, I see a noticeable difference in the amount of racism and increase in

We're talking different things here. I started my comments in this thread saying that national needs to reduce fees.  I believe that $15-$20 a month for dues is too much - but mostly because ther

A friend of mine is an accountant and did see the books. There is no accounting system set up for my council. There is only one account. Nobody could ask, for example, what is the net on a summer camp

Posted Images

Now, in the past few minutes my insider is saying its not an additional fee and shouldnt have been included in the recharter letter we got.  

That is something kinda big that should have been proofed better I think.  I am interested to know WHAT it is if its not included in the fees.

1 hour ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I am in Circle Ten Council.  I am also Key 3, so I got the recharter info today.  

Surprised by an additional $30 "Council Membership Fee" for all youth and adults.

$96 for a kid and $72 for adults all of a sudden

I would guess that a lot of people are going to be surprised/upset about the fee increases.  BSA is testing out the market to find out how much scouts and scouters are willing to pay for its product.  This is no different than what any other business might do.  Every business wants to get the maximum price it can for its product.

How much would you be willing to spend?  

1 hour ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I am in Circle Ten Council.  I am also Key 3, so I got the recharter info today.  

Surprised by an additional $30 "Council Membership Fee" for all youth and adults.

$96 for a kid and $72 for adults all of a sudden

you're getting off cheap.  My council took full advantage of the nationally approved council service fee.  It will be $126/youth for my kids to recharter for next year($66 national and $60 Council because they announced before National did), $75 or so dollars for adults.

4 hours ago, walk in the woods said:

you're getting off cheap.  My council took full advantage of the nationally approved council service fee.  It will be $126/youth for my kids to recharter for next year($66 national and $60 Council because they announced before National did), $75 or so dollars for adults.

The same for us plus big local dues for total fee last year of $200 and likely to increase a good bit again this year. At the same time, all the youth organizations around here have refunded or discounted rates. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another example of the inefficiency of the BSA structure.  

• $66 to pay for national
  • $30 to pay for council

I don't mind that we have to pay, but $66 to national seems like a lot now that we have to pay council fees too.  Would be a good time for national to figure out how to get that to $20 a year per scout.

• Upvote 1

$66 to National for youth

$60 to Council for youth

$48 to National for adults

$12 to Council for adults (Insurance)

Brand new Scouts have a $25 Joining Fee when they first register.

This Scouting year is going to break me in fees alone.   We normally pay for our older kids and grandkids Scouting fees.  Told the adult kids they now have to pay their own way, we will still pay for the grandkids.  Still, have myself, husband, Life Scout daughter, and Wolf grandson.  Then for 3 years straight, we add a Lion to our growing Scouting family!

CCJJ

9 hours ago, ParkMan said:

I don't mind that we have to pay, but $66 to national seems like a lot now that we have to pay council fees too.  Would be a good time for national to figure out how to get that to $20 a year per scout.

Never going to happen. They won't go backwards on this, much less to THAT extent. And financially, they can't.

2010 - $10 to $15
2014 - $15 to $24
2017 - $24 to $33
2020 - $33 to $60
2021 - $60 to $66

What's changed since the time of the $10 fee for national? Bankruptcy, potentially a BILLION dollars in liability, LDS leaving, membership collapse in general, insurance premiums skyrocketing, etc.

In 2010, the Cash and cash equivalents coming in was 42,127,000. In 2019 it was 198,914,000. Sounds great, right?

In 2010, total liabilities was 327,312,000. In 2019 it was 616,677,000 and that was DOWN from 645,360,000 in 2018.

There's no going back to $20.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, CynicalScouter said:

Never going to happen. They won't go backwards on this, much less to THAT extent. And financially, they can't.

2010 - $10 to $15
2014 - $15 to $24
2017 - $24 to $33
2020 - $33 to $60
2021 - $60 to $66

What's changed since the time of the $10 fee for national? Bankruptcy, potentially a BILLION dollars in liability, LDS leaving, membership collapse in general, insurance premiums skyrocketing, etc.

In 2010, the Cash and cash equivalents coming in was 42,127,000. In 2019 it was 198,914,000. Sounds great, right?

In 2010, total liabilities was 327,312,000. In 2019 it was 616,677,000 and that was DOWN from 645,360,000 in 2018.

There's no going back to $20.

Interesting analysis.

What was the cause of the significant increase in liabilities?

1 hour ago, ParkMan said:

Interesting analysis.

What was the cause of the significant increase in liabilities?

Here's what I found. https://www.scouting.org/about/annual-report/

Accounts payable and accrued liabilities

Gift annuities

Unearned fees and subscriptions

Notes payable including line of credit

Insurance reserves

Payable upon return of securities loaned

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Thanks 2
On 9/3/2020 at 1:21 PM, 5thGenTexan said:

Now, in the past few minutes my insider is saying its not an additional fee and shouldnt have been included in the recharter letter we got.  

That is something kinda big that should have been proofed better I think.  I am interested to know WHAT it is if its not included in the fees.

Unless Circle Ten is deciding to walk back the council fee, that pricing is right in line with what we will pay here in Central Florida Council.

I would hope that other councils will do as ours has, in that when they announced back in January that this fee would be coming, (only thing we were not aware of was the new $25 joining fee, which I think is a mistake by national) they also announced that beginning in 2021 there would no longer be any charge for district level events.  Families that have been used to paying $35 per person for Cub Family Camp or district camporee will no longer pay anything for those events.  Even if they only attend 2 district events like that each year, they will come out ahead.

6 hours ago, CynicalScouter said:

Here's what I found. https://www.scouting.org/about/annual-report/

Accounts payable and accrued liabilities

Gift annuities

Unearned fees and subscriptions

Notes payable including line of credit

Insurance reserves

Payable upon return of securities loaned

Fascinating - thank you.  It sure looks like the BSA has been taking on a lot of debt for some reason - the Summit I imagine. 

I'm not on to blame national for stuff - but I do think that national really ought to focus to get fees down and if these are in the way, national needs to restructure.  Hopefully coming out of bankruptcy whatever remains will have a significantly reduced need for a large national fee.  $66 a year to national, $48 to a council, and $100 to a unit is getting very expensive.  $15 or $20 a month for dues isn't a lot of money to some, but it's a lot of money to ask when you are trying to grow membership.  

40 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

$15 or $20 a month for dues isn't a lot of money to some, but it's a lot of money to ask when you are trying to grow membership.  

But to many $15-$20/ month for dues alone IS a lot of money. Only thing that helped me out was camps being cancelled. Between summer camp deposits and budgeted food saved, I got enough to pay for 2020 recharter.

• Upvote 1