setting up a program in Frederick ok

I have been involved in cub scouts but never tried to set a program up. Where I live at there is no program around for about 50 miles. We have reached out to the closest council to try to get things set up, and it seems like we are getting the run around. My question is. How do we set it up and how does funding work. I was initial told about the charter dues which were $42. Now they are saying that each individual is $250. Can someone give me some guidance. 

Welcome to the forum, @SWOKlahoma

The numbers you mention are local, not national. The charter organization is who owns the unit. The unit also resides in a council. Those two groups can have fees, one of which you should have some say. The $250 can't be a council fee for reasons that are too complicated to explain.

The real question is why won't your district help you set things up?

There are two offices you can call for help. The Lawton office is the closest for you, but the OKC office will have someone who can help as well.  The present situation of the program is pretty dynamic. Fees being one of the challenges. I would ask specifically for the Field Director. They are close to the program and know who should be your professional contact.

Barry

• Upvote 1

The Last Frontier Council office in Lawton is your right starting place.  You don’t mention a chartered partner. Is there one? That’s the civic organization that wants to sponsor scouting in your community. 

Do you have five kids and five adults who want to be part of the game with a purpose?

@Eagledad (Barry), you’re up in the City. @SR540Beaver, you too. Can you guys help?

55 minutes ago, SWOKlahoma said:

I have been involved in cub scouts but never tried to set a program up. Where I live at there is no program around for about 50 miles. We have reached out to the closest council to try to get things set up, and it seems like we are getting the run around. My question is. How do we set it up and how does funding work. I was initial told about the charter dues which were $42. Now they are saying that each individual is $250. Can someone give me some guidance. 

You are in Last Frontier Council’s Kickingbird District. I am the Council Training Chair and know the Field Dire for for your Service Area. Private message me your contact info and I’ll see that someone who can help you will contact you. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, SWOKlahoma said:

I have been involved in cub scouts but never tried to set a program up. Where I live at there is no program around for about 50 miles. 

I would start off by registering your kids as Lone Scouts.  This way, you can get the kids started right away while you are trying to organize a unit.  It would also help demonstrate, to potential Chartered Organizations, the need for a scout unit in your area.  Good luck.

9 minutes ago, SWOKlahoma said:

I appreciate everyone assistance. so far we are getting our information from the Lawton Counsel. Which it doesn't seem very accurate. How do i start the lone Scouts?

Lawton is the southern office in the Last Frontier Council. Call the OKC office, which is the main office for the Council and ask for the Field Director because that position knows exactly who you should talk to. If they point you back to the Lawton Office, then explain your frustration. You may not be asking the right questions. Fees, while important, are not really your starting place. As John-In -KC stated, you need a charter organization and a few youth ready to join. Lone Scouts might be an option, but even then you still need to understand how the program works and that requires guidance and training.

Barry 

• Upvote 1