so i have a question.... im supposed to take on cubmaster in December and idk if i can now. I was with my husband out at an event in town and we were messing around, he said something and I put my hand up and tripped as he reacted to me putting my hand up and resulted in him hitting me in the face.... total random accident... except someone at the event reported it as domestic violence and now cps showed up at my house. I have 20 witnesses, some I know and some I dont but who wrote statements for me saying it wasnt and the case is unfounded, obviously. BUT can I be a cub master now? Im freaking out and embarrassed beyond belief but need to know if i have to pass up cub master now? Its unfounded but idk if that matters on a backround check or if it shows up even. Ive never had to deal with cps or the police or anything. 

Any ideas on this!?

Hi Cubscoutgirlmom416, Welcome to the forum.

I would not think that you have anything to worry about.  As MattR mentioned, you might let the Chartered Organization Rep know what happened since you are worried about it. I probably wouldn't worry about it, but since someone got cps involved, in wouldn't be bad to mention it.  I would be really surprised if it went further than where it is now and should not necessitate changing plans to become Cubmaster.  

Thanks for the welcome and thanks so much for the replies. I didn't even know who Id have to talk exactly so that is super helpful! I definitely would rather be up front and honest with everyone, i know it was nothing but a mistake but still... i dont know how it shows up or if it shows up and I dont want the label. I love being a den leader in scouts and am looking forward to cub master, so I hope its all good. Such a crazy thing to happen i just cant quite fathom it still. 

Thank you again, I truly appreciate it

3 hours ago, Cubscoutgirlmom416 said:

I was with my husband out at an event in town and we were messing around, he said something and I put my hand up and tripped as he reacted to me putting my hand up and resulted in him hitting me in the face.... total random accident... except someone at the event reported it as domestic violence and now cps showed up at my house.

If I understand this correctly, the report alleges that you were the victim of domestic abuse.  Even if it were true, I can't imagine that it would disqualify you as a scout leader.  We don't blame the victim.  

You should be fine.  Just submit the application and if the CC and COR approve it, it will be submitted to BSA for the routine background investigation.  I sincerely doubt that the investigation would come back negative, since there were no charges filed and the case was "unfounded."  Welcome and let us know how it turns out.

Thank you so much! I will definitely let you know. I appreciate the feedback. I have been involved in scouts my whole life, when i was younger i was a girl scout, teens i was a explorer with bsa, and since then Ive had my nephew i raised and now my kids in it. Im at the point I can do more and hate that it might get ruined because someone misinterpreted something.

I appreciate the support

16 hours ago, David CO said:

If I understand this correctly, the report alleges that you were the victim of domestic abuse.  Even if it were true, I can't imagine that it would disqualify you as a scout leader.  We don't blame the victim.  

Well for whatever reasons i dont understand they thought i got abused at that moment and instead of the police they called cps who in turn checked on my children. Who were no where involved. I dont get it.

The BSA uses a commercial company to run background checks.  What they're going to pick up is things that are a public record, basically a credit report and a list of criminal convictions if any.  There is almost zero chance that what you're describing exists in any data base that anyone would be able to access.

Put in your application, don't worry,  and hope that this becomes a weird/funny story you tell in the coming years.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

I don't think it's an y issue to worry about. Certainly not anything that seems to have been elevated to the level of criminality in which anything would show up in a background check. And as already mentioned, even if it did, you would be the victim in the case.

The real concern here should be who the heck did you get on the bad side of to make them call in such a false accusation?? 😅

On 9/2/2020 at 5:34 PM, T2Eagle said:

The BSA uses a commercial company to run background checks.  What they're going to pick up is things that are a public record, basically a credit report and a list of criminal convictions if any.  There is almost zero chance that what you're describing exists in any data base that anyone would be able to access.

Put in your application, don't worry,  and hope that this becomes a weird/funny story you tell in the coming years.

Hopefully one day it will. Right now its just embarrassing and ridiculous. Thanks so much for the support and assurance. 

1 hour ago, FireStone said:

I don't think it's an y issue to worry about. Certainly not anything that seems to have been elevated to the level of criminality in which anything would show up in a background check. And as already mentioned, even if it did, you would be the victim in the case.

The real concern here should be who the heck did you get on the bad side of to make them call in such a false accusation?? 😅

Thanks so much! 

And oh my goodness! I wish I knew who it was. I mean the peope i knew all wrote statements so I dont who turned us in. We are new to this area so dont really have enemies, not that we did where we live before you know what I mean. But yeah... apparently someone isnt happy with us🤷‍♀️