Scouting/youth group hostels?

So confused with tags and such.  Just give me a basic forum and let me type.  

Anyway, we have an interesting possible opportunity locally with the closure of a major church with considerable property with its campus.  The church is being run by the Methodist District and there are plans in the works for using the property for outreach.  I have proposed that part of that be a distinctly inexpensive spot for traveling youth, Scouts or otherwise.  Also, picture us developing a resource center with historical material that can be reviewed and possibly utilized in modern context, or a "How it was" way.  It might include locally run uniform banks, even for non scout groups, a possible motor home capability with limits (it has a large parking lot), and some on site things like maybe a couple of compass/orienteering courses.  It is in a prime location in the middle of the city, and right acrross from the local JC as well.  In conjunction with local non-profits it likely will include homeless and indigent options, great service ops and the, or so it seems to me, a chance to just do what scouts do, at the core.  Any thoughts on how a hostel type thing could be included, and various ways the Scouting Community might be at the core?  

As an extension; are there similar options that in our re-inventioning phase might be considered on the BSA nationally.  

11 minutes ago, skeptic said:

Any thoughts on how a hostel type thing could be included, and various ways the Scouting Community might be at the core?     

No.  The scouting community has enough liability problems already.  It doesn't need to add another high liability project like a youth hostel.  YMCA got out of the youth hostels years ago because they were having major problems with it.  Nobody else seems to want them either.

Specifically VCC, Council 57.  The city is Ventura, and of course right on the beach, as well as fairly easy access to the larger So Cal area.  It is still in the early stages of local discussions, but some small uses may be allowed in the discussion periods.  My thing is doing whatever we can to display the best of Scouting and just do it.  That is the real challenge, not getting led from our primary reason to exist by ignorance and people with tunnel vision.

1 minute ago, skeptic said:

Specifically VCC, Council 57.  The city is Ventura, and of course right on the beach, as well as fairly easy access to the larger So Cal area.  It is still in the early stages of local discussions, but some small uses may be allowed in the discussion periods.  My thing is doing whatever we can to display the best of Scouting and just do it.  That is the real challenge, not getting led from our primary reason to exist by ignorance and people with tunnel vision.

You may have more legal hurdles than you can imagine. As others noted, hostels have tons of legal and liability issues, California in particular.

The hostel angle is just one of many to think about.  The main thing is to hopefully have usage for local youth and small groups in some manner while also having service opportunities for the serious needs that abound.  The church appears to already be decided on it being a place for outreach.