What if someone buys the BSA during bankruptcy?

When I saw the post about the new GSUSA uniforms I was struck by how much they looked like BSA colors.  It got me to thinking - what if in the bankruptcy process the GSUSA makes an attempt to buy the assets of the BSA and effectivly merges the two organizations.

Possible, not possible?  What would you think?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the purchase of assets alone, liabilities of the seller do not pass with the assets. WOSM does not assert IP in "scouting," an English word. after all. 150 scouting organizations exist in

I don’t think GSUSA has an interest in being saddled with more land. With a motivated philanthropist, Trail Life USA could buy BSA. They seem to be expanding, but not rapidly enough to justify su

6 and 7 figure salaries of the Pros.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, ParkMan said:

When I saw the post about the new GSUSA uniforms I was struck by how much they looked like BSA colors.  It got me to thinking - what if in the bankruptcy process the GSUSA makes an attempt to buy the assets of the BSA and effectivly merges the two organizations.

GSUSA has net assets of $180 million. I don't see them being in a position to outright "buy" BSA's assets. But merger? Technically yes, but why would they want to? What's the case?

I don’t think GSUSA has an interest in being saddled with more land.

With a motivated philanthropist, Trail Life USA could buy BSA. They seem to be expanding, but not rapidly enough to justify such a move for the assets they may gain. And they’d still gain the liability of the legal actions.

I don’t think any other youth organization is up for a merger, at least not until the dust settles.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, qwazse said:

I don’t think GSUSA has an interest in being saddled with more land.

With a motivated philanthropist, Trail Life USA could buy BSA. They seem to be expanding, but not rapidly enough to justify such a move for the assets they may gain. And they’d still gain the liability of the legal actions.

I don’t think any other youth organization is up for a merger, at least not until the dust settles.

Agree, but there are other assets. What if the GSUSA wins their trademark infringement case and instead of the monetary damages (we might not have), they settle for the transfer of some BSA trademarks (we do have)?  

19 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Agree, but there are other assets. What if the GSUSA wins their trademark infringement case and instead of the monetary damages (we might not have), they settle for the transfer of some BSA trademarks (we do have)?  

Why would they want the trademarks? GSUSA isn't suing to get BSA's trademarks, they are suing to stop BSA from infringing on the trademarks owned by GSUSA.

Why would GSUSA want to muddle their own existing program by running or having the branding/labeling associated with Boy Scouts of America?

From my past readings, buying outright is not usually done for non-profits.  Assets often outweigh income making a purchase impossible. 

Rather, a court could transfer assets that are core to a beneficial public good to another similar non-profit.   Piece parts or everything could be liquefied to create cash to pay debt / damages.    Outright "buys" won't happen.  The land and intellectual property of BSA is too valuable for someone to outright buy as a single purchase and the income is too small.  

Perhaps another non-profit could toss in enough cash to absorb BSA and have the cash used for the lawsuit damages.   But it's not really a "buy".

Edited by fred8033

So, another "go get the stick" distraction.  Maybe we should simply "do our best" to save the basic and solid foundations and grow them with the youth in mind, no matter their variants in beliefs or other seemingly important distractions foisted by a messed up society.  Just saying; these scenarios are fun, and even have some place, but our focus needs to be where the compass point meets the direction arrow.

7 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

IMHO, ownership of one BSA trademark might stem the drain of girls to Boy Scouts and if not, the GSUSA would have license revenue from that drain and more.

In my mind, the most valuable parts of the BSA ot the GSUSA are:

• stop the loss of girls in Scouting to the BSA
  • two million boys in the Scouting program
  • efficiency in delivery of services

The BSA just made a play to establish co-ed Scouting.  Imagine if the GSUSA could do the same by purchasing the core program IP of the BSA.  All it would take to trigger mergers at the council level would be for the GSUSA to buy ownership of the BSA core program.  The GSUSA wouldn't have to compete with the BSA in starting a co-ed program, they could simply become a co-ed program in a matter of months.

15 hours ago, ParkMan said:

When I saw the post about the new GSUSA uniforms I was struck by how much they looked like BSA colors.

GSUSA has used a lot of different greens.   Really bright greens since around 1980.   Prior to that forest green (1960's, 1970's) and a lighter grey green (back to at least the 1940's).   (This is by memory,  I'm not checking dates.)   Earlier on they had a very brownish/tannish/olivish color.  (See https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1930s-Complete-Girl-Scout-Uniform-Dress-Hankie-Belt-Knife-Badges-Book/184410370576?hash=item2aefb6f210:g:YlwAAOSwAhtfPaAU) But I've never seen any girl scout uniforms that match the current BSA olive green.   And now GSUSA is making pants in a color that look very Boy Scout.   It was startling.  Especially if paired with a tan badge vest - which is not far from the color of a BSA shirt.  Very startling.  (Was it deliberate?  Or were they oblivious?)

On the other hand, describng this as a "uniform" goes too far.  The GSUSA website calls the set of new items for sale "the new Cadette, Senior, Ambassador uniforms and official apparel collection"  and the olive stuff does not appear in the "uniform" section of the shop https://www.girlscoutshop.com/GIRLS/UNIFORMS  

4 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

The BSA just made a play to establish co-ed Scouting.  Imagine if the GSUSA could do the same by purchasing the core program IP of the BSA.  All it would take to trigger mergers at the council level would be for the GSUSA to buy ownership of the BSA core program.  The GSUSA wouldn't have to compete with the BSA in starting a co-ed program, they could simply become a co-ed program in a matter of months.

GSUSA has shown no interest in co-ed.  At least they have been stressing the benefits of a girl-only environment.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Treflienne said:

GSUSA has shown no interest in co-ed.  At least they have been stressing the benefits of a girl-only environment.

What better way to stay gender segregated then to run both the "girls only" and "boys only" programs?  The GSUSA could run the GSUSA program for girls and the BSA program for boys.  Their professional staff could support both sides of the program.   

Cost of program would be less for the GSUSA and they wouldn't have to worry about serious competition.

16 hours ago, ParkMan said:

Mergers talks have gone on for decades. Rumor was it we got really close in the late 2000s/early 2010's, but then came crashing down. Some field offices even housed both organizations in preparation. 

If GS/USA does ever buy the BSA, it would just be to liquidate it, not save it. Of course, they do have a new CEO now so anything is possible. The last one was VERY anti-BSA. 

• Thanks 1