Best edition for bsa handbook

14 minutes ago, mtlangst said:

So what is the best handbook edition to get alongside the current issue?  An edition that has the “old school” scouting in it?  Is it a good idea to reference both while going through the current version?

:D I like this guy. I like my 1959 edition and reference it often. 

Hopefully others with more extensive collections will advise. 

The 6th edition is highly regarded. I'm also partial to the ninth edition since I have a copy signed by the author. Wish the original owner hadn't drawn on it. 

You can also find the 1st edition BSA book or Baden Powells original "Scouting for Boys" online for free if you want a good peek at Scouting and life in pre WWI period.  

20170225_210937 (1).jpg

• Upvote 1

I own seven versions, but I've only actively used four versions.  I prefer the 11th edition, but then again it might be the case of liking the version when scouting was fresh to me.  I don't necessarily see the 12th, 13th and 14th versions as improvements ... but the look shiny.

Edited by fred8033
On 8/29/2020 at 12:14 PM, Sentinel947 said:

The 6th edition is highly regarded.

The 6th edition is the one I used when I was a new 11 year old scout.  I have had and used every version since.  

I also have several older versions, the oldest originals in my collection being the 1924 handbook for boys and the 1929 handbook for scoutmasters.

• Upvote 1

When I first assisted teaching IOLS, I suggested to my professor that we include some copied pages from my 1959 edition FieldBook.  He agreed, and those pages have been included in every IOLS syllabus since.   I once assisted another districts IOLS, and when I noticed they had their campfire building before the  Wood's Tools, and shouldn't the Scout learn to use his axe BEFORE he cuts up firewood, they said "we never noticed that....".  

3 hours ago, SSScout said:

When I first assisted teaching IOLS, I suggested to my professor that we include some copied pages from my 1959 edition FieldBook.  He agreed, and those pages have been included in every IOLS syllabus since.   I once assisted another districts IOLS, and when I noticed they had their campfire building before the  Wood's Tools, and shouldn't the Scout learn to use his axe BEFORE he cuts up firewood, they said "we never noticed that....".  

When I taught woods tools it was immediately before the firebuilding station. I had the participants bring the wood, kindling, etc... they processed from my area to the next.

2 hours ago, DuctTape said:

When I taught woods tools it was immediately before the firebuilding station. I had the participants bring the wood, kindling, etc... they processed from my area to the next.

Eggs axe lee

• Like 1