• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There can be no doubt that BSA refusal to include homosexuals or girls until forced to do so due to social and financial pressure has had an impact on membership. It might not have affected it in term

Wow. I don't think the problem is girls or girl parents at all. The problem is that not enough kids are interested in the program to begin with and that not enough people of any kind are growing up wi

I don't mind that you keep saying that you're better than us.  The thing I do mind is that you describe yourself as humble while you are saying that you're better than us.  

Posted Images

On 10/31/2020 at 12:59 AM, 5thGenTexan said:

I have decided when my son finishes AOL, I will not be crossing over with him in a Troop leadership position.  I have zero interest in continuing in any leadership role.

Why?

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, ParkMan said:

Why?

Not finishing Wood Badge shows I have problems working with others.  That's a self esteem problem that sticking it out and "having fun" isnt going to fix.

From a strictly Scout perspective...  No Wood Badge = Not Worth a Damn Leader

The WB cheerleaders have made it quite clear what they think of me.  I know I shouldnt be concerned about people from the internet, but I have heard the message loud and clear.  I had a good ass chewing from a local District volunteer as well.

One thing they are right about, Wood Badge was a life changing experience.  I fell back into a depressed self hating place

1 hour ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Not finishing Wood Badge shows I have problems working with others.  That's a self esteem problem that sticking it out and "having fun" isnt going to fix.

The WB cheerleaders have made it quite clear what they think of me.  I know I shouldnt be concerned about people from the internet, but I have heard the message loud and clear.  I had a good ass chewing from a local District volunteer as well.

One thing they are right about, Wood Badge was a life changing experience.  I fell back into a depressed self hating place

Stop it. Stop it right now. I've read your posts before and had no idea you had such confidence issues. You don't come off that way in print. Get out of that Troop and find better people to hang with. You have a tremendous amount to offer. You also need to learn how to leave this negativity behind for the sake of your own kid. You are his/her leader. Find someplace where you can grow in comfort and be a good example for them. 

1 hour ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I'm sorry if you ever got that message here.  I'm probably the biggest WB cheerleader here and I've never once thought anything even close to that.  Anyone who tells you that completing Wood Badge means anything about you as a person is full of crap.  If your pack is telling you that, find a new pack.  It breaks my heart to think that you ever internalized that message.

I wish I knew you outside of some forum posts so that I could express how earnestly I mean this.  We are all lucky to have you involved in Scouting.  Don't give up on Scouting and know that you've got a number of friends here that want you to keep going.  

1 hour ago, ParkMan said:

I'm sorry if you ever got that message here.  I'm probably the biggest WB cheerleader here and I've never once thought anything even close to that.  Anyone who tells you that completing Wood Badge means anything about you as a person is full of crap.  If your pack is telling you that, find a new pack.  It breaks my heart to think that you ever internalized that message.

I wish I knew you outside of some forum posts so that I could express how earnestly I mean this.  We are all lucky to have you involved in Scouting.  Don't give up on Scouting and know that you've got a number of friends here that want you to keep going.  

A fair number on "Talk About Scouting!" on Facebook telling me I suck and should move on.  They are probably right...  

30 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

A fair number on "Talk About Scouting!" on Facebook telling me I suck and should move on.  They are probably right...  

No, they are not right. Facebook is not where you need to be. It's a bully pulpit for bullies. Where exactly are you? Everyone is depressed and not functioning optimally during Covid. You need to take a breath and get some perspective.  I know you are in Texas. Who on this forum is in Texas? Please reach out to this guy. 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

As someone who attended WB back in the day when you had to be invited to attend, I can tell you unequivocally that I know a great many outstanding leaders who are not WB'ers.  I also know leaders who wear 2, 3, or in a couple of cases 4 beads who have no idea how to relate to a Scout on their level or to successfully plan and conduct a quality event.  Before you posted your concerns about attending and the issues you had on that first day, based on prior posts I saw you a leader who cares about his unit and his Scouts.  That opinion has not changed.

As for those people denigrating you on Facebook because of your reaction to WB, as @yknot stated, even on Scouting pages Facebook is filled with bullies who hide behind a keyboard a screen to say what they would never have the courage to say to someone face to face.  Do not let the opinions of internet trolls influence you. 

There are two people you have to satisfy and be true to, you and your Scout.  Do that, and continue to show the care for the Scouts in your unit that we have all seen in your other posts, and you will be successful, beads or no beads.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
10 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

BS ...oops forgot the A. Good campfire discussion here, please tell us how to improve.

Please reflect on the good you have done for your scouts and community. Look at the photos, see their scout smiles and remember their scout voices. Maybe they seem small steps with small results now but their value will be long-lasting.

Could others have done better? Unlikely, they did not step up. As you have found, not all advice, manuals, or training courses may provide what you need or even be KIND...yeah so... you and your son's journey continues be it in Scouting or elsewhere.  How can we help?

Throughout adult nonsense, spend time with your son. Help him become a man. Childhood is short, nothing like being a Dad.

Thank you for stepping up. Isn't that where all leaders start?

My $0.02,

RS not a WBer and never lost sleep over it

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

To quote Col. Sherman T. Potter, "HORSEHOCKEY!" Not doing WB means you got other things you think are more valuable, like your time, sanity, and your Scout(s).

Again as Col. Potter would say, "HORSEHOCKEY!" (shouting in the original quote ;) )As others pointed out some of those 2, 3, and 4 beaders who could NOT counsel a homesick Scout, let alone work with a group of experienced Scouts. The beads do not make the Scouter. I know folks who have never been to WB, and they are far better Scouters than some who have. As for the District volunteer, chewing you out, WHAT ABOUT 'EM! FORGET THEM! The 3 questions you need to ask are the following:

Is it best for MY CHILD?

Is it best for MY SCOUTS?

Is it Best for MY UNIT?

11 hours ago, yknot said:

Stop it. Stop it right now. I've read your posts before and had no idea you had such confidence issues. You don't come off that way in print. Get out of that Troop and find better people to hang with. You have a tremendous amount to offer. You also need to learn how to leave this negativity behind for the sake of your own kid. You are his/her leader. Find someplace where you can grow in comfort and be a good example for them. 

Good advice. One other piece of advice, talk to someone, anyone you trust, about this. A counselor, minister, friend, ANYONE! You need to take care of yourself for your child.

9 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Have you read some of the "HORSEHOCKEY" these folks are saying? Some of these "experts" have no clue what they are talking about.  I have been involved in Scouting for nearly 40 years in a variety of capacities: youth, unit volunteer, district/council volunteer, council employee,  DE, and national employee. I know a lot about Scouting. Yet I have had folks tell me I am wrong, do not know what I am talking about, useless, I am a disgrace as leader, they are glad their child is not in my unit, ad nauseum. All because I tell them the truth, and not what they want to hear.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM AS THEY ARE WRONG! (emphasis this time ;) )

Good luck, I am praying for you.

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I rarely check Facebook anymore.  Sorry that a bunch of folks were critical over there.

What I always dislike about Wood Badge threads is that they always result in a whole bunch of comments about whether WB is good or bad.  WB is just a course, a tool so to speak.  People take it, some learn some things, some don't.  It doesn't make you a better person or worse person.  30 years ago it was an invite course, and so it meant something to be invited to the course.  It was like receiving an award or recognition.  But that's not how it works today and that's a good thing - Scouting doesn't need royalty.

Scouting needs people who want to deliver a great experience to kids.  You strike me as someone who wants to do that.  So, ignore the folks over there on Facebook.  Focus on having fun as a volunteer, helping kids to have a great experience, and you'll be an overwhelming success.

On 10/31/2020 at 12:59 AM, 5thGenTexan said:

I have decided when my son finishes AOL, I will not be crossing over with him in a Troop leadership position.  I have zero interest in continuing in any leadership role.

Based on your experience with other scouters in your vicinity, you might be right. You've seen through some of the rah--rah mentality. They've grated on your nerves, and you're not inclined to keep knocking your head against the wall to get rid of the headache.

The question then becomes: how have the scouts been treating you? Would you like that to continue?

1 hour ago, ParkMan said:

rarely check Facebook anymore.  Sorry that a bunch of folks were critical over there.

What I always dislike about Wood Badge threads is that they always result in a whole bunch of comments about whether WB is good or bad.  WB is just a course, a tool so to speak.  People take it, some learn some things, some don't.  It doesn't make you a better person or worse person.  30 years ago it was an invite course, and so it meant something to be invited to the course.  It was like receiving an award or recognition.  But that's not how it works today and that's a good thing - Scouting doesn't need royalty.

Scouting needs people who want to deliver a great experience to kids.  You strike me as someone who wants to do that.  So, ignore the folks over there on Facebook.  Focus on having fun as a volunteer, helping kids to have a great experience, and you'll be an overwhelming success.

Given the goal of the first Course, knowing and being able to teach outdoor skills through First Class, I never "got" the invitation part.  BSA wanted some Scouters less competent in teaching outdoor skills?  On the other paw, having brand new, totally untrained learners, as I personally experienced, take a course that assumes and "builds on"  certain base knowledge that they lack, also seems odd.   But, gotta' "Fill the Course."  

1 minute ago, TAHAWK said:

Given the goal of the first Course, knowing and being able to teach outdoor skills through First Class, I never "got" the invitation part.  BSA wanted some Scouters less competent in teaching outdoor skills?  On the other paw, having brand new, totally untrained learners, as I personally experienced, take a course that assumes and "builds on"  certain base knowledge that they lack, also seems odd.   But, gotta' "Fill the Course."  

I don't know the mindset at the time as it predates me, but I can only guess it had something to do with making the course seem desirable by making it exclusive.  By creating something with status that can be seen as an award, it then makes it something to strive for.  The OA isn't all that different for youth.  By creating an honor, we make it more desirable.  There's probably some logic about human nature in that, but it seems to have created a bunch of issues amongst the volunteers by doing it.

Today that fill the class mentality is an unfortunate by product of the process.  It makes sense that if you're going to have a course that you have a full course.  Unfortunately, instead of leveraging that as an opportunity to encourage those who could benefit to take it, you end up with the "gotta fill the class" byproduct.  I'm not sure how to resolve that one - maybe fewer classes?