Looking for troop leaders to try out wellness initiatives

Hi everyone. I am a professor and health promotion researcher at Kansas State University (https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=WWR1ybMAAAAJ&hl=en). I have been working with Girl Scouts troops in Kansas for several years, trying to figure out ways to build in opportunities for healthy eating, exercise, and other aspects of wellness while still having fun scouting. I am working on a grant proposal now, and am looking for councils, service units, and troops that may be interested in partnering to try out some wellness initiatives. The general idea is to build in some routine opportunities for healthy eating and physical activity when you meet, without disrupting the "normal" activities of scouting. You can check out some of the resources we have been developing to support scouting here http://www.scoutswellness.org/. Thanks for reading!

-Ric

19 hours ago, RicRosenkranz said:

Good point, TWCub. We are gradually working toward providing additional gender-neutral materials and resources. Most of the ideas there are gender neutral though.  

A noble cause. If involves boys, just add bacon. That’s their main motivator, it seems. That and deep fried chocolate chip cookies. :mad:

To be clear, the website is not about curriculum--you already have most or all of that. It's about incorporating wellness (social connection, less sitting, more moving, healthy snacks and water) into what you and the kids want to do. We need your help as partners in trying to figure out the best ways to build in opportunities for wellness while still having fun scouting. 

Edited by RicRosenkranz