Command to stop saluting?

I have two (2) questions regarding the command to lower a hand salute (i.e., stop saluting). I have been discussing this with some long time Scouters and none of us seem to know!

1.) What is the correct spelling, "to", "too", or "two"?

2.) What is the origin of this command, i.e., is it short for some longer forgotten phrase? Or, is it some way derived from an "order arms" command?

Thanks, if you know!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've wondered about this myself. I would expect that the proper spelling is "two".

Most close order drill commands have a cadence of their own. There is the preparatory command and the execution command. In the case of "order arms" the people already are at "present arms" and know that the next command can only be to return to attention. The word "order" tells them what to do and "arms" tells them when to do it.

So my speculation is that the "two" is the execution for dropping the salute, but what is the first part of the command?

This is just a shot in the dark, but when I was in a Drum and Bugle Corps as a youngster, we used the military designations for "Attention", "Parade Rest", etc. At one point there was a complaint because it was too militaristic (you have to remember the 'peace-loving' 70's!) so those same terms were simply numbered as position 1, position 2.

When I was in High School, the marching band used those same terms, but dropped the 'position' calling it 'one' and 'two'.

Some of the older scouters on here might know better, but could it be the same type of situation where instead of saying 'at ease' the phrase was just made to be 'two' for position two.

Just a wild thought in the early morning ...

It has been customary for our troop to render a hand salute in the following fashion:

The SPL will say, "Troop, Attention!"

"Salute by the numbers....One!" The salute is then given and held until the SPL says, "Two!" The salute is then finished and the hand is returned to the side.

Some of our leaders that are veterans say that this is correct.

Here's my understanding, fwiw:

The salute is not just a hand position. It is the quick motion into the salute position, held for the appropriate amount of time, followed by the quick motion back to attention. In other words, a two part action: "up" and "down".

In order to synchronize multiple saluters, you need commands for both parts:

"hand salute"

"two" (second part of the salute)

Note that this is not just "to stop saluting" but "to perform the second part of the salute" (subtle difference, I suppose).

Thank you all, especially Uncleguinea. I did an AOL search for "Command Two Salute" and came up with similar results the best was this one.

http://www.chadduck.com/ymarines/drill/salute.htm

This page is from The Website for Young Marines

The command is hand, SALUTE; TWO.

1.) When SALUTE is given,

raise your right hand smartly in the most direct manner until the tip of your forefinger touches the lower part of the headdress above and slightly to the right of your right eye.

Your thumb and fingers should be straight and touch each other.

You should be able to see your entire palm when looking straight ahead.

Your upper arm should be level with the deck and forearm at a 45-degree angle.

Your wrist and hand should be straight, a continuation of the line made by your forearm.

At the same time, if not in ranks, turn your head and eyes toward the person or color you are saluting.

2.) At the command TWO, return to attention.

Move your hand smartly in the most direct manner back to its normal position by your side.

To insure simultaneous execution of the second movement of the hand salute when troops are in formation, the preparatory command, "ready" will be used prior to the command of execution, TWO.

Trail Pounder, I don't know if the "wishy washy hippie dippies" changed our command. It seems to be normal military protocol from The Website for Young Marines:

"Whenever the command present, ARMS is given (since Young Marines do not bear arms), you will execute the hand salute on the command ARMS. Stay at that position until the command ARMS of order, ARMS is given. This salute is normally used during parades, ceremonies, etc. whenever there are male marines carrying arms present. Whichever command is given -- present, ARMS or hand SALUTE --Young Marines will acknowledge said command."

(since Young Marines do not bear arms) and neither do Boy scouts I think we are okay with "two"! Trail Pounder, of course if you want to upset the "wishy washy hippie dippies" I will fully support you! I find upsetting "wishy washy hippie dippies" with traditional conservative ideals and actions to be a very cathartic and gratifying experience! Usually wearing a complete "Class A" Uniform, with my militaristic "Campaign Hat" is enough to get them riled!

I appreciate everyone's input!

Perhaps half the fun of this type of information is not knowing it, wondering, and then researching it for yourself, and then spreading it by word of mouth, but...

Wouldn't it be great if BSA published a book of this kind of protocol and trivia, for reference by scouts and leaders? Have they? If they haven't, I think it an idea whose time has come.

The Sea Scouts are on the ball when it comes to drill. They are Official BSA, and they have a drill manual. PDF files available at the page!

http://www.seascout.org/about/program/advancement/able.html

Drill: Demonstrate your ability to give and execute commands in close-order drill.

Reference: See "Techniques for Close-Order Drill" on page 45.

Web Reference: Drill

Web Reference: Sea Scout Drill Manual

Also a non-official site which is very informative:

http://www.sss601.org/drill.html

SEA SCOUT DRILL MANUAL

Purposes of Drill

Drill has many purposes, contrary to popular belief. Drill accustoms individuals to working as a member of a team -- a team moving confidently together in unison and to a measured cadence. Drill is also used to move a unit from one place to another in a standard, orderly manner. Drill also teaches discipline by instilling habits of precision and automatic response to orders. Drill improves morale by developing team spirit. It also gives younger petty officers the confidence of command and experience in giving proper commands.

The most common call to salute I hear used in Scouting is "hand salute" which makes sense since we have three different salutes for scouts and leaders in uniform plus the civilian hand salute for those present not in uniform.

And remember that the handbook tells the scout to drop the salute by returning the arm to your side in a relaxed manner. You do not slap your leg when dropping the Scout hand salute.(This message has been edited by Bob White)