GTSS does not prohibit numismatics, philatelists, pannapictagraphists, flautists, falerists, or vexillophiles

7 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

I like free checking, a paper trail, and the ability to cancel a check.

As do I. I actually still have this thing called a passbook for my savings account. Every time I pull up to the drive through window -- because I still do in person banking -- the kids look at me as if I've just produced an original copy of the Magna Carta. They think it's cute that I still use one, and they have to root around to find the special slips needed for me to do a withdrawal or deposit. Every time I have to get a new one they solemnly inform me they have had to create it "by hand" as if that is some kind of magical skill. I've also been warned that they are doing away with passbooks sometime soon and I'll have to switch. The good news is that my one son is a numismatist of sorts but his coin of the realm is cryptocurrency. He makes so much money fooling around with that, he doesn't need any money from me. Strange new world. 

While away at my first scout summer camp, my young brother sold my Green Lantern comic collection. He didn't see my problem, after all, each comic was already price-marked 10c or 12c..so surely for sale. no.gif:mad:

large-7846626.jpg?1530815135

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Haha 1
  • MONEY MONEY MONEY
  •  CREDIT CARDS
  • There were a total of 1.12 billion credit cards in 2018 and the projection for 2023 is more than 1.25 billion.
  • The number of credit cards from the four primary credit card networks (VISA, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover) was 679 million in 2018.

[T]he total number of credit card transactions in the U.S. was 40.8 billion in 2017, up from 37.3 billion in 2016

CURRENCY

There is a total of about $1.5 trillion in U.S. physical currency in circulation.

CHECKS

The United States is one of the few countries that still relies heavily on checks as payment; Americans wrote, on average, 38 checks in 2015. That might sound small, but the checks add up: In 2012, the total number of checks written by businesses or individuals totaled 21 billion checks. In all, the dollar amount added up to $26.83 trillion.

The love affair with checks may be strictly American — countries in Europe, like Poland, Denmark, Finland, and the Netherlands stopped issuing checks over the last two decades.

COINS

Our local NE Ohio businesses as of two weeks ago and as of this afternoon have signs asking that one pay with coins if possible due to a "shortage."

Checks. Cheques.       

True story:   Second World War.  American army officer.   Goes into a  British army officers' club as a guest.   For cash, he writes a "cheque" on a plain piece of paper (sometimes said to be the back of a cigarette package, but no matter), to be drawn on a local (to me) US bank.   The bank is so well known, (in Britain!) that the cheque is honored, and makes it's way, all the way, , back to the USA where it was , for a time, displayed in the bank. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I remember in Junior High, when we learned how to write checks, that the teacher said you could write a check on anything, and assuming the bank trusted you, would pay it. We thought that was cool. Never thought it happened, though.

On 8/19/2020 at 10:41 AM, skeptic said:

It is a good thing falerists are not banned, or memorabilia collectors would be in a panic.

Consider one John Pleasants.

He’s been collecting various items for decades now, ever since he attended the 1969 National Jamboree in Idaho as a scout himself with North Carolina’s Occoneechee Council Troop 7.

Take the short-lived Order of the Arrow Calusa Lodge 219 in Bradenton, Florida — Pleasants secured one of those coveted patches around the same time he and his wife, Jenny, were getting married. “It paid for my honeymoon,” he said.

He has a database of 3,000 people he’s traded with, and he created (and currently sells) the Patch Protection System, a waterproof slipcover design for storing patches in binders. But it’s never been just about the money or the collecting, Pleasants said — most of all, he cares about the history.

“I’m much less concerned about keeping it than making sure it goes to somebody that sees it,” he said. “The problem with Scout memorabilia, and the reason I spend so much time trying to dig it up, is not that it’s going to another collector — it’s going into the trash dump. We always say the best scouting museum is the landfill.”

More at source link:

https://www.chathamnewsrecord.com/stories/decades-on-john-pleasants-is-still-digging-collecting-boy-scouts-memorabilia,6459

• Thanks 1