GTSS does not prohibit numismatics, philatelists, pannapictagraphists, flautists, falerists, or vexillophiles

7 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

I like free checking, a paper trail, and the ability to cancel a check.

As do I. I actually still have this thing called a passbook for my savings account. Every time I pull up to the drive through window -- because I still do in person banking -- the kids look at me as if I've just produced an original copy of the Magna Carta. They think it's cute that I still use one, and they have to root around to find the special slips needed for me to do a withdrawal or deposit. Every time I have to get a new one they solemnly inform me they have had to create it "by hand" as if that is some kind of magical skill. I've also been warned that they are doing away with passbooks sometime soon and I'll have to switch. The good news is that my one son is a numismatist of sorts but his coin of the realm is cryptocurrency. He makes so much money fooling around with that, he doesn't need any money from me. Strange new world. 

While away at my first scout summer camp, my young brother sold my Green Lantern comic collection. He didn't see my problem, after all, each comic was already price-marked 10c or 12c..so surely for sale. no.gif:mad:

large-7846626.jpg?1530815135

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Haha 1
  • MONEY MONEY MONEY
  •  CREDIT CARDS
  • There were a total of 1.12 billion credit cards in 2018 and the projection for 2023 is more than 1.25 billion.
  • The number of credit cards from the four primary credit card networks (VISA, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover) was 679 million in 2018.

[T]he total number of credit card transactions in the U.S. was 40.8 billion in 2017, up from 37.3 billion in 2016

CURRENCY

There is a total of about $1.5 trillion in U.S. physical currency in circulation.

CHECKS

The United States is one of the few countries that still relies heavily on checks as payment; Americans wrote, on average, 38 checks in 2015. That might sound small, but the checks add up: In 2012, the total number of checks written by businesses or individuals totaled 21 billion checks. In all, the dollar amount added up to $26.83 trillion.

The love affair with checks may be strictly American — countries in Europe, like Poland, Denmark, Finland, and the Netherlands stopped issuing checks over the last two decades.

COINS

Our local NE Ohio businesses as of two weeks ago and as of this afternoon have signs asking that one pay with coins if possible due to a "shortage."

Checks. Cheques.       

True story:   Second World War.  American army officer.   Goes into a  British army officers' club as a guest.   For cash, he writes a "cheque" on a plain piece of paper (sometimes said to be the back of a cigarette package, but no matter), to be drawn on a local (to me) US bank.   The bank is so well known, (in Britain!) that the cheque is honored, and makes it's way, all the way, , back to the USA where it was , for a time, displayed in the bank. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I remember in Junior High, when we learned how to write checks, that the teacher said you could write a check on anything, and assuming the bank trusted you, would pay it. We thought that was cool. Never thought it happened, though.

On 8/19/2020 at 10:41 AM, skeptic said:

It is a good thing falerists are not banned, or memorabilia collectors would be in a panic.

Consider one John Pleasants.

He’s been collecting various items for decades now, ever since he attended the 1969 National Jamboree in Idaho as a scout himself with North Carolina’s Occoneechee Council Troop 7.

Take the short-lived Order of the Arrow Calusa Lodge 219 in Bradenton, Florida — Pleasants secured one of those coveted patches around the same time he and his wife, Jenny, were getting married. “It paid for my honeymoon,” he said.

He has a database of 3,000 people he’s traded with, and he created (and currently sells) the Patch Protection System, a waterproof slipcover design for storing patches in binders. But it’s never been just about the money or the collecting, Pleasants said — most of all, he cares about the history.

“I’m much less concerned about keeping it than making sure it goes to somebody that sees it,” he said. “The problem with Scout memorabilia, and the reason I spend so much time trying to dig it up, is not that it’s going to another collector — it’s going into the trash dump. We always say the best scouting museum is the landfill.”

More at source link:

https://www.chathamnewsrecord.com/stories/decades-on-john-pleasants-is-still-digging-collecting-boy-scouts-memorabilia,6459

• Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...

The Lawrence J. Gentile Sr. Memorial Award for Outstanding Adult Advisor

During the recent Chicago World’s Fair of Money, Coin Collecting Merit Badge Counselor and District Commissioner Tony Bonaro was awarded the Lawrence J. Gentile Sr. Memorial Award for Outstanding Adult Advisor by the American Numismatic Association’s (ANA).

...Tony Bonaro Bonaro is the director of youth activities for Florida United Numismatists (FUN), a position he has held since he joined the board 18 years ago. Under his guidance, FUN’s Young Numismatists (YN) program has developed into one of the best in the country, and he does an exceptional job educating youth in the art of coin collecting.

Bonaro is active in several other local and regional numismatic organizations, including the Greater Jacksonville Coin Club and St. Augustine Coin Club. The retired U.S. Marine Corps officer and former railroad employee devotes many hours to hobby activities. In addition to serving as treasurer of FUN, he works as a district commissioner of the Boy Scouts of America and volunteers at his church.

Wherever he goes, Bonaro shares the excitement of collecting with kids. He conducts four Boy Scout Coin Collecting Merit Badge classes each year. When Girl Scouts sign up, he covers the requirements for the Fun With Money patch. He also coordinates a popular YN trivia program for FUN. In each quarterly issue of FUNTopics, he includes an article for kids with trivia questions to encourage YNs to research more about the particular topic and send him their answers via email. Youngsters who send him their responses receive a coin in the mail. He says that dealers from all over the eastern United States stock his supply of donated inventory that he passes along to eager YNs.

Fascinated by the history behind coins, Bonaro encourages young hobbyists to investigate and learn about their pieces. He exhorts his students to “learn, read, research, and educate yourself as much as you can about the coins you like to collect” and ends his classes by telling his students, “Remember, there is a story behind every coin and piece of currency.”

His admonition to the next generation is not mere lip service. Bonaro also does his own research and enjoys writing about his findings. He has published articles in FUNTopics on a variety of subjects, including how to conduct Boy Scouts Merit Badge classes, the fascinating story behind “Short Snorter” bank notes, and Mormon gold and currency of 1837-60. He is currently working on a piece about U.S. Mint commemorative coins that relate to the history of the U.S. military.

Bonaro says he is honored to receive an award for simply doing what he loves. He serves the hobby community by sharing his knowledge because teaching others is something he truly enjoys. And because it’s fun, he adds.

Sources 👍 :

https://coinweek.com/coin-clubs/numismatic-leaders-recognized-ana-awards/

https://coinweek.com/coins/coin-collecting-strategies-2/tips-for-new-collectors/coin-collecting-merit-badge-tips-for-teachers-and-scouts/

Scout Salute,

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
On 8/17/2020 at 6:24 PM, RememberSchiff said:

Though today, numismatics are fewer in number. 

Link below has a brief history of the Coin Collecting Merit Badge and an offer from the American Numismatic Association

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/young-numismatists-and-the-coin-collecting-merit-badge/

:)

Back to OP,

This month, the National Advancement Committee revised requirements for Coin Collecting Merit Badge.

"These are the first major revisions to the requirements since the mid-2000s. These revisions expand a scout’s collecting experience by keeping pace with recent U.S. mint circulating coin series in addition to taking into account older coins found in circulation. Expanded use of the internet is encouraged as well (with adult approval). George Cuhaj led a team that included Tom Dodson and Jeffrey Swindling. These Scouters also worked with Cuhaj on the previous revision and formerly staffed the merit badge midway booth at several past national jamborees. The Coin Collecting merit badge was introduced in 1938."

New 2024 Requirements at source link:

https://www.numismaticnews.net/collecting-101/boy-scouts-revise-coin-collecting-merit-badge-requirements

Related link:

https://www.numismaticnews.net/collecting-101/bringing-the-hobby-to-younger-generations

No mention of bitcoins or wooden nickels.

My $0.02,

Edited by RememberSchiff