GTSS does not prohibit numismatics, philatelists, pannapictagraphists, flautists, falerists, or vexillophiles

Though today, numismatics are fewer in number. 

Link below has a brief history of the Coin Collecting Merit Badge and an offer from the American Numismatic Association

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/young-numismatists-and-the-coin-collecting-merit-badge/

:)

Edited by RememberSchiff
title change

Yep.  I earned that MB.  One of my "specialties" was the Franklin half dollar.  My dad had dealings with our local bank, and one of the tellers (wife of a Lion's Club member, in which my dad was very active) had nothing much to do one afternoon (!) and took it upon herself to scan several hundred (!!) dollars worth of halves and found the one date I was looking for....   

• Like 1

Oh, let me share a coin  horror story.

While working as a Transit Bus Driver, in rush hour, it was not unusual for folks to pay the fare with a handful of coins, carefully dribbled into the electric farebox. I had a lady board and proceed to unroll a penny roll and carefully line'm up into the slot. It took a few seconds for me to realize THEY WERE BRIGHT UNCIRCULATED STEEL CENTS.  I put my hand over the farebox and asked her where she had got that roll.  She responded out of her husbands desk drawer, as she needed money for the farebox.  I explained to her that each of those "pennies"  were probably worth a couple of dollars EACH.  She still had about 2/3 of the roll left, but I explained that neither I nor her would ever see those pennies again..... 

• Sad 2

Horror story II : My nephew while visiting one summer raided a coin jar I'd kept since I was a kid into which I threw every steel penny, wheat ear penny, Mercury dime, buffalo nickel, and silver quarter that I found. He kept asking for snack and ice cream money and while I thought he was snagging the random bucks I left all over he was actually fascinated with the coin jug. I was standing with him one afternoon in front of the ice cream truck when I saw what he had in his hand. I said, "Holy Cow! Where'd you find those?" and he said, "In the jug in your office" LOL.. Thank goodness the really important stuff was boxed away. 

• Sad 1

After my parents passed, I was cleaning out drawers and collected a trove of coins, many silver.  I checked the dates against an old coin catalogue, then took them to a local dealer and let him know I had checked the dates.  Three, I think, of the silver ones were worth more as collector items than the silver, and he took that into account.  I ended up with close to $400 in silver content, plus a few bucks for some older pennies.  I still have a jar of the lead ones I think, just for fun.  Had a smaller jar that I took to scouts and new boys were given on when we did our first review.  Have run out of those now.  Most had no idea what it was.

It is a good thing falerists are not banned, or memorabilia collectors would be in a panic.

What are coins? I mean, credit cards are starting to become obsolete.

My wife would go nuts if I started a collection. I already have many collections - old tools, old cameras, old calculators and the biggest: old junk.

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

"Coins"?  The items replacing paper currency of small denominations in First World nations.

A8uZeyn.png

Kind of like how this one is?

1280px-1_Dollar_(United_States),_front.j

Unfortunately, I haven't used bills or coins since covid started.  Neither the hardware stores nor grocery stores are too keen on them. Ahh, to go someplace that uses cash .... Some day.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, MattR said:

What are coins? I mean, credit cards are starting to become obsolete.

So true. Most of the scouts and families in our unit use Venmo, CashApp or something like it. No one writes checks or uses cash much anymore. The good side of it is that I see younger and younger kids learning how to manage their own funds on their cell phones. The bad side is that it's yet another reason why it's getting hard to unplug them.  

Edited by yknot