First Blue & Gold Banquet

My first B&G as Cubmaster is tomorrow night.  (Better late than never).  Its going to be outside and spread out.  Im planning on ending with Scout Vespers and the the Scoutmasters Benediction.  Is that corny or is that the sort of thing we should be doing more of??  I do tend to second guess myself a lot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's not corny, it's what Scouts do.  You might want to have your local Troop on hand to help lead the song, or you may be the only one present who knows the words.  Also, might want to have them printed to hand out.   Thanks for continuing the traditions.

8 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

My first B&G as Cubmaster is tomorrow night.  (Better late than never).  Its going to be outside and spread out.  Im planning on ending with Scout Vespers and the the Scoutmasters Benediction.  Is that corny or is that the sort of thing we should be doing more of??  I do tend to second guess myself a lot.

Good on ya, mate.   My stints as Cubmaster and "First Assistant Everything Else"  for CSDC are some of the most fun I have ever had.   I still run across some of the "boys" in my travels and am remembered. One CUB made Eagle , is now head cashier at my  local bank . 

Not my story, but I can claim some credit.  One year, the CSDC theme was "Way Out West" and our District decided to tell the story of the Lewis and Clark expedition.  My partner, name of Ted, and I were the chief instigators.  Every morning at opening, we would "tell " a story about the L&C trek, and thus set the theme for the day.  We thus moved the expedition across the country. Ted did a cartoon French Voyageur accent ("augh augh augh, you tie ze  nout laak zis, an' zen you peek heem up laak zis,,,   augh augh augh, mes ami....") . We carried a canoe around the site, led the Scout Skills Pavilion to good effect. 

Ted once told me he and family were in the local Safeway when a young boy ran up to him, pointed his finger up at Ted, cried  "AUGH AUGH AUGH ! ! !"    and ran off.    Of such are reputations and memories made....

Lead your song.  Help the Scouts make the memories. 

AND... never forget , these are the people that will pick out your Assisted Living Facility. 

See you on the trail. 

• Like 1

I concur with the general sentiments here; it's a wonderful thing for you to offer vespers and a benediction at the close of your meeting. How corny they are depends only on how corny you make it, meaning they could be utterly sincere and heartfelt if that's the way you treat them. Coming from a deeply religious unit, we always begin and end our meetings with prayer, and very often a hymn will accompany the opening or closing of our meetings. It's can be a meaningful addition to your meetings, but as the one introducing them, remember that you set the tone, and others will follow. But judging by the fact that you were good enough to include them in the first place, I have great confidence that you'll make it just right for your pack and their families. Good on you for doing it. 👍

Bust  😭

I am near Dallas..  Its been over 100 for the past several days, and hasnt rained in weeks.

We haven done B&G yet due to Covid and were finally planning on today, outside with people in lawn chairs with enough distance.  I had programs printed, a powerpoint to project outside on a screen I made, awards all ready to go, ice cream.  

Wed decided that I am going to visit the different Den Meetings and have smaller award presentations.  There just isnt a good time to reschedule at this point.

This year sucks.  

37 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Yeah, we got about 3" of rain in a couple of hours and really really really bad lightning. 

Well, a plan to spread out on the field is standard operating procedure for lightning but convincing folks to part with the lawn chairs would be rough!

Emailing everyone vespers might be a good way to end the evening.

14 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

This year sucks. 

Yes it does. But it really helps when people like you try to make it better. Thank you for helping me keep my glass half full. Some day you will have that campfire.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2