My editing skills aren't the greatest, but I put this together of our NT trip. I wish I'd captured more, but this gives a good idea of what it's like.

There are a few stills, particularly at the start, but it's mostly GoPro videos from the camera on a headstrap.

• Like 1

Nice video you got some great shots. It would great if you added the lake name each time you were somewhere new. This would be of a great help to someone who liked where  you went and wanted to see which lake you paddled through. 

I always do a long version and a short version of my videos - here is my short version from our BWAC trip this year - 

25 minutes ago, TMSM said:

Nice video you got some great shots. It would great if you added the lake name each time you were somewhere new. This would be of a great help to someone who liked where  you went and wanted to see which lake you paddled through. 

I always do a long version and a short version of my videos - here is my short version from our BWAC trip this year - 

Thanks. I actually didn't keep track of that. I perhaps tried a little too hard to just be along for the ride and let the scouts/interpreter run the show.  :)

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, TMSM said:

That video production is far better.  

But you guys cheated and did a shuttle boat.  :) 

14 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

That video production is far better.  

But you guys cheated and did a shuttle boat.  :) 

We did almost the same route but we went to Eddy Falls and decided to portage our way to Kekekebic from Eddy lake- taking the tow from Moose lake was a great way to get away from the motors as soon as possible.Screen_Shot_2020-07-25_at_8_23.08_PM.thumb.png.5116a9ce62dfd4d61a945afa2f673121.png

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, TMSM said:

We did almost the same route but we went to Eddy Falls and decided to portage our way to Kekekebic from Eddy lake- taking the tow from Moose lake was a great way to get away from the motors as soon as possible.Screen_Shot_2020-07-25_at_8_23.08_PM.thumb.png.5116a9ce62dfd4d61a945afa2f673121.png

Great video and route. Though it's more correct to say in your video you went to the Boundary Waters, as you did not go to Northern Tier.

37 minutes ago, Canoeon said:

Great video and route. Though it's more correct to say in your video you went to the Boundary Waters, as you did not go to Northern Tier.

Sure - But we did go to Northern Tier (Charles Sommer) and toured the facility, we copied their menus, followed the advisor guide and used a route that was part of their documentation. We used similiar equipment, let the scouts lead, cook and make all decisions. We told the stories of the fur trappers, indians and voyaguers around the campfire. We didnt go through Northern Tier to outfit us and provide an interpreter but I think the scouts had a very similiar experience.

That's kind of like backpacking the Valle Vidal unit of Carson National Forest on your own and saying you've gone to Philmont. Many of us have been to the Boundary Waters through an outfitter and taken units through Northern Tier. It's definitely not a similar experience, both are different. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Canoeon said:

That's kind of like backpacking the Valle Vidal unit of Carson National Forest on your own and saying you've gone to Philmont. Many of us have been to the Boundary Waters through an outfitter and taken units through Northern Tier. It's definitely not a similar experience, both are different. 

I kidded about taking the water taxi to start, but while our interpreter was great, I don't think using an outfitter results in a significantly different experience. This is particularly true this year when there is no program at NT base camp. You just get your gear, eat a few meals and stay in a cabin with just your crew.

3 hours ago, Canoeon said:

I am sure you are correct. These boys I went with dont really care about program and just want to go and explore on their own. Its a bit more like doing Baldy and Tooth of time without program. We did the exact same route, in the same place doing the same activity and eating the same food, sleeping in tents or hammocks, putting up bear bags, portaging and paddling. They were glad to miss the sing after me songs, opening and closing campfires etc.. This is not to say NT is not worth it just that our crew didnt need this to have a good high adventure. 

• 3 weeks later...

Depends if the outfitter comes with you, or you just rent their gear. I think it is comparable if you just rent gear. Prices vary with choices of gear and food as well. We always rented the higher priced Kevlar canoes because the lighter weight is very manageable for single person to portage. The outfitters usually know where to catch fish. We've never gone through the BSA NT base, but we have canoed some of the NT lakes and found the Canadian side Boundary Waters less populated. Canada does not allow motorized machinery on Boundary Waters. 

Barry

1 hour ago, mrkstvns said:

How do the total trek costs of an official NT trek compare to a "roll your own" trip using a commercial outfitter?

We paid $300 per person - 6 days on the water, canoe packs, kevlar canoe but no guide. This includes gas money to and from Chicago (1200 mile round trip). NT is $760 and includes a guide, tents, packs but not gas money.

1 hour ago, TMSM said:

NT is $760 and includes a guide, tents, packs but not gas money.

Sorry that $760 per crew per night. so 6 nights for 8 crew = $570. For 6 crew = $760. All camping gear is included tents and cooking gear but not sure about stoves.