Trailer frame spare tire mount recommendation needed.

I am the Quarter Master for our Troop and am looking for recommendations for a spare tire mount that we can get to put on the outside of the A frame in the front.

I see several ranging from $15-$45.

I would love to hear from anyone that has mounted one and where did you get it? Thanks in advance.

I find it hard to believe that in these times of cancelled meetings, meeting places unavailable,  no campouts, cancelled summer camps and High Adventure activities, etc. that a Troop Committee would get bogged down in the minutia of whether a spare tire holder should be powder coated or galvanized.  Come on people! 

Measure distance between the lug holes in the spare wheel.  Go to Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight or equivalent and buy a looong square u-bolt  to match  the distance. Four nuts and four big fender washers to fit.  Decide on location on front or rear door of trailer, drill holes in wall/door. Reinforce with a piece of scrap lumber inside if deemed necessary. U-bolt thru wall, run first pair of washers/nuts down. seal with appropriate goo against water infiltration.  Mount spare, run second pair of washers/nuts down to hold.  If you are lucky, the u-bolt thread will match the wheel lug thread(ours did) and you can use extra lug nuts to hold spare on.  Total cost about $20.  Leaves tow bar empty of obstructions. Doesn't catch rain, promote rust.  Go to Action Auto, buy a cover for the spare, paint a smiley Scout face on it .  

• Upvote 1