New York Attorney General Sues N.R.A. and Seeks Its Closure

5 hours ago, fred8033 said:

I'm not a NRA fan, but the charges seem reasonable, ... BUT ... 

Dissolving the non-profit (aka NRA)?  If the top officers of a non-profit are effectively embezzling funds for their own purpose, then it's right to prosecute.  BUT, the original non-profit has been around for almost 148 years.  The intention of donors / members is well understood.  So, the result of successful prosecution should be the returning of the funds to the non-profit for their original non-profit purpose. 

Even the idea of returning money?  Much of the money has been legitimately spent or won't be recoverable.  Every member gets $10 back of their original $45 membership fee?  I seem to remember that the intention of the donor (aka member) is to be honored when it's difficult to resolve such complexities.  So, if NRA can't be fixed, another 2nd amendment defending non-profit should be funded as honoring the donor intentions.  Or, simply replace the top NRA leadership and keep the long-standing non-profit running.

I don't disagree. I'm sure the AG thinks that she's going to strike a big blow against 2A advocacy, but that money is just going to move to other 2A orgs if she dissolves the NRA. Modern day Pyrrhus. Accidentally, she's doing Gun Owners a favor, because that money is currently being blown on expensive suits and vacations, rather than campaigning for gun rights, or paying lawyers to find solid cases to challenge laws. 

3 hours ago, Sentinel947 said:

I don't disagree. I'm sure the AG thinks that she's going to strike a big blow against 2A advocacy, but that money is just going to move to other 2A orgs if she dissolves the NRA. Modern day Pyrrhus. Accidentally, she's doing Gun Owners a favor, because that money is currently being blown on expensive suits and vacations, rather than campaigning for gun rights, or paying lawyers to find solid cases to challenge laws. 

That's what I was thinking.  If money is recovered, it would go back to the non-profit (or an equivalent non-profit).  In a way, it could financially help the NRA.  ... Unless this is all a publicity stunt. ... I just can't see the NRA dissolved.  This appears like the AG is more concerned about damaging the image than applying law. 

Edited by fred8033