Law Suits; And Now It Spreads

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem with the "silent majority" is the same problem I think of when I hear the quote "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - the problem in thinking,

A lot forum members don't realize they have a record of strong opinions on this forum. While they say National has failed, their posts appear more to just dislike the present scouting program, or just

From the research I did a long time ago, I would disagree with the bulk of the cases. The time period the bulk of the current lawsuit abuse claims occurred, the mandatory reporting laws were extr

6 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

A lot forum members don't realize they have a record of strong opinions on this forum. While they say National has failed, their posts appear more to just dislike the present scouting program, or just scouting. I am a consistent critic of National where I believe they have neglected the philosophical principles that drive the heart of the program. But the general structure and design works well. Killing the BSA or even making major changes would make no sense to me. As far as I'm concerned, all the BSA needs is an attitude adjustment at the lop leadership levels.

Barry

I could not agree more with your comments.

20 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

A lot forum members don't realize they have a record of strong opinions on this forum.

I think all of the forum members have the intelligence to recognize that.  To suggest otherwise is condescending. 

34 minutes ago, MattR said:

I'm not trying to muffle anyone. If you really want to keep arguing then I won't stop you. But wisdom is focusing on what you can control and being content with the rest. National is way beyond our control. So is starting a new program. Making this forum a welcome campfire so more people participate is within our grasp.

Give up discussing ideas and opinions simply on grounds of supposed futility?  Yet your statement itself expresses why we do it:  Weariness over the status quo, certainly, but also hope that somehow the potential of the forum can be achieved.  So it is with discussions about BSA and Scouting topics that appear to be beyond our control.  We want to express frustration.  We want to find out if others share our views.  We want to test our views to see if the premises are valid, or if we are missing something.  We want to see if someone can tell us something to help relieve our concerns or offer hope or a different perspective, or even change our minds.  We are here because we are all heavily invested in the program.  We are here because this forum helps us to stay invested in the program.  In the end, expressing our ideas and opinions isn't about whether we can change the program but whether we can (depending on the day or the issue) let off enough steam or stoke our fire enough to continue contributing to the program.  And maybe, just maybe, someday, somehow, the right person will read something here that will cause them to do something that makes a difference.

• Upvote 2
25 minutes ago, David CO said:

I think all of the forum members have the intelligence to recognize that.  To suggest otherwise is condescending. 

No, just observations. I really don't think all the members recognize it. Otherwise they would trolls. 

Barry

1 hour ago, dkurtenbach said:

Give up discussing ideas and opinions simply on grounds of supposed futility?  Yet your statement itself expresses why we do it:  Weariness over the status quo, certainly, but also hope that somehow the potential of the forum can be achieved.  So it is with discussions about BSA and Scouting topics that appear to be beyond our control.  We want to express frustration.  We want to find out if others share our views.  We want to test our views to see if the premises are valid, or if we are missing something.  We want to see if someone can tell us something to help relieve our concerns or offer hope or a different perspective, or even change our minds.  We are here because we are all heavily invested in the program.  We are here because this forum helps us to stay invested in the program.  In the end, expressing our ideas and opinions isn't about whether we can change the program but whether we can (depending on the day or the issue) let off enough steam or stoke our fire enough to continue contributing to the program.  And maybe, just maybe, someday, somehow, the right person will read something here that will cause them to do something that makes a difference.

What I'd like to see if an agreement that within the confines of this forum, we are all open and encouraged to share our opinions honestly. 

• I, for example, have no problem saying that I think that the professional structure is too autocratic and that this has a very negative result in how professionals interact with volunteers.  In a society which is moving in the direction of high skilled, knowledge based workers, too many of the structures we have in place in the BSA run contrary to that.

I would hope that we can find a way to generally agree that we have a shared goal of building a stronger Scouting program centered around the organization we know as the BSA.  We can debate and discuss the strengths, weaknesses of the BSA.  We can discuss how to deal with them.  We can discuss how to advocate for change in light of them.

As much as possible we need to try and rally around constructive solutions - even in the issues and politics part of the forum.

• I would like to see our collective knowledge help someone like @Eagle94-A1in his problems with a dysfunctional district/council.  We shouldn't leave him feeling like the only resolution to his problems is to have the BSA get liquidated.  I guarantee that it is possible for volunteers with the right acquired skills to reform his district.  We should be offering ways to accomplish that instead of commiserating about how awful the professionals are.

And yes, there are some things that we cannot change.  I think we should be free to remark about how stupid particular choices and decisions are - but then follow it up with strategies for making the most of them.  

My Scout law parts here are: helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, & cheerful.