20 hours ago, David CO said:

Scouts can participate in youth sports in school or other youth leagues.  They just can't do it as a scouting activity.  For example, scouts can play on their school football team, but they cannot play football at as a scouting activity.  I don't think this would prohibit boys from bringing a rubber football to the beach and tossing it around.  

Where you and I may recognize the difference in playing football vs. tossing it around a little, when a Scout twists his ankle while tossing the ball, that report is going to be written up as an injury while playing football.  If asked, the Scout will say they were playing football. At that point, he was engaged in a prohibited activity.  Insurance claim denied. I don't think that we should have to coach our Scouts on how to use the correct verbiage to make sure that we are jumping through all the proper hoops. We would have to make sure that little Johnny knows to say that they were "just throwing the ball", rather than playing football.

Edited by awanatech
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, awanatech said:

Where you and I may recognize the difference in playing football vs. tossing it around a little, when a Scout twists his ankle while tossing the ball, that report is going to be written up as an injury while playing football.  

You may be right.  Charlie Brown got injured playing football, and he never even touched the ball.  I wonder what the lawyers would make of that.  Good grief!

On 8/15/2020 at 2:27 PM, walk in the woods said:

You are operating under the false premise that the G2SS is about safety.  It's not.  It's about BSA image management.  They don't want boys competing with each other one-on -one for fear someone might feel bad.  

That's nonsense. We have competitions all the time. One on one, whether a single scout, patrol or troop were always the highlight of every campout and camporee I went on or organized. From axe competitions to tug-o-war, fire building to relay races through the woods, home made sleds to lashed travois, scouts have a lot of fun competing.

I suppose fencing could be fun with good leadership but I could see a lot of mangled equipment, so this is a non starter for me.