• 2 weeks later...

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss07/#b

See #13...

as the mom of a varsity level Fencer and Eagle Scout I can tell you  the protective equipment keeps the fencer safe. Literally scoring is done electronically meaning if the tip of the epee, foil or saber touches the opponent it’s considered a hit. And it doesn’t have to be a hard touch. 
 Once again - the lawyers at BubbleWrap, No BooBoos and Son have missed the point of something that kids can learn and have fun with. 

did you see that #14 includes no sock throwing game?  So the snowball fight in July with clean rolled up socks is off the calendar. And no, we’re not playing Red Rover Red Rover in its place - you might sweat or strain your vocal chords.  Go sit down and make slime

• Upvote 1
On 8/6/2020 at 6:45 AM, RichardB said:

We get back to interpretation; but this does appear to rule out fencing.  As noted of course, with proper supervision and equipment it is likely as safe as many other activities still allowed.  I am confused by the last one: "Intramural, interscholastic, or club sport competitions or activities".  Are they saying that scouts cannot participate in normal team sports in school or the various youth sports leagues?  That is what it appears to say to me, which makes not sense at all.  What am I missing on this one?

As a lifelong amateur swordsman, I found the original post absolutely delightful and it definitely made my day. 😄

As a lifelong amateur swordsman, there's no way in Heaven or Earth I would give my Scouts swords, even with all the protective equipment. I'll let them enjoy that activity under the watch of a trained professional and let somebody else deal with all the liabilities, thank you very much🤣

1 hour ago, skeptic said:

"Intramural, interscholastic, or club sport competitions or activities".  Are they saying that scouts cannot participate in normal team sports in school or the various youth sports leagues?  That is what it appears to say to me, which makes not sense at all.  What am I missing on this one?

Scouts can participate in youth sports in school or other youth leagues.  They just can't do it as a scouting activity.  For example, scouts can play on their school football team, but they cannot play football at as a scouting activity.  I don't think this would prohibit boys from bringing a rubber football to the beach and tossing it around.  

6 hours ago, Momleader said:

Once again - the lawyers at BubbleWrap

I agree.  It not only restricts boys from doing normal fun things at scout meetings, it also gives the rest of the world the impression that scouting is for wimps.

2 hours ago, skeptic said:

We get back to interpretation; but this does appear to rule out fencing.  As noted of course, with proper supervision and equipment it is likely as safe as many other activities still allowed.  I am confused by the last one: "Intramural, interscholastic, or club sport competitions or activities".  Are they saying that scouts cannot participate in normal team sports in school or the various youth sports leagues?  That is what it appears to say to me, which makes not sense at all.  What am I missing on this one?

Not sure if this helps, but there is a Prohibited Activities FAQs that says:

Q. Does the prohibition on club sports mean that my son or daughter can’t play basketball?

A. No. It means that the Scouting program does not exist to supply programming or insurance coverage to organizations that seek a charter only for a competitive sport. Our experience and the industry data have shown that this is a hazardous activity and risk, and it should not be a part of Scouting.

Edited by Thunderbird
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Thunderbird said:

Not sure if this helps, but there is a Prohibited Activities FAQs that says:

I see the BSA is still lying about Dodgeball stating it "has never been an authorized activity in Scouting" despite showing showing a national representative proof it has been an authorized activity and requesting they change the wording multiple times.

In case you don't believe the BSA is lying about this, here is an image from page 30 of the 2010 printing of the 1998 edition of the Scoutmaster Handbook.

image.thumb.png.6f016444d54447e9883adcd6fad24e50.png

Edited by Eagle94-A1
8 hours ago, Momleader said:

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss07/#b

See #13...

as the mom of a varsity level Fencer and Eagle Scout I can tell you  the protective equipment keeps the fencer safe. Literally scoring is done electronically meaning if the tip of the epee, foil or saber touches the opponent it’s considered a hit. And it doesn’t have to be a hard touch. 
 Once again - the lawyers at BubbleWrap, No BooBoos and Son have missed the point of something that kids can learn and have fun with. 

did you see that #14 includes no sock throwing game?  So the snowball fight in July with clean rolled up socks is off the calendar. And no, we’re not playing Red Rover Red Rover in its place - you might sweat or strain your vocal chords.  Go sit down and make slime

You are operating under the false premise that the G2SS is about safety.  It's not.  It's about BSA image management.  They don't want boys competing with each other one-on -one for fear someone might feel bad.  

3 hours ago, walk in the woods said:

You are operating under the false premise that the G2SS is about safety.  It's not.  It's about BSA image management.  They don't want boys competing with each other one-on -one for fear someone might feel bad.  

That makes me feel bad.

Oh for the days of yore...

My Cub Pack, back in paleolithic Scouting days,  played in a Cub Scout softball league. Each Pack in the area fielded a team, I seem to remember this was spring time and thru the summer too. Ribbons for the flag.  Tshirts and a REAL ball cap (wool !) for the Cubs.  This was in addition to the usual Den meetings, trips to the zoo, hay rides, fire station visits,  and movies, Cub-a-rees,  and Pack Meetings . My dad was one of the coaches, I was a first baseman owing (so they said) to my long arms (at age 8 and 9?) and reach.   

Competition with Little League?  Maybe,  it was softball, not hardball. Even I learned the softball didn't travel as far as a hardball when hit, but it did travel.   We learned alot about sportsmanship and tactics and predicting where that "lefty" would hit. 

No more Scout sports, eh?  Too bad...