Recruiting/Round up ideas

My Troop is working on hosting a Boy Scout Round up event next month. As we start to set up the program for the day, we are looking for ideas to make this activity a fun and exciting day for the perspective new members who attend. Does anyone have any ideas for specific activities we could have available for boys coming to investigate Scouting. Anyone have stories of past Round Up Success stories? I have had 1 father tell me that the best we can expect is to gain "maybe" 1 or 2 boys at the most. While that would be fine I would really like to give this event as much of a chance at success as possible.

Welllll,

Considering you posted this question over 24 hours ago and have had no responses, maybe there are not a lot of success stories about a scout round-up :)

Round-ups seem to work well with cubs, but our greatest success comes from word-of-mouth. I've heard of folks setting up camp sites, and doing some cooking. Or having a lot of pictures of events your troop has done. Remember desire: it works for beer comercials. Not for the opposite sex, but for things a kid can't do in front of a TV.

Here's wishing you well....

bd

What I have done, is I try too recreate a little bit of summer camp. I go too the local school and do a boy talk. Post flyers around town, contact the ranger at my local state park, arrange for campsites, have my scouts set up tents and have skills demonstations,and close the evening with a hotdog roast, songs, and skits. I have done this for two years and usually gain at least 5 new scouts.

Yours In Scouting,

Jay Harris