Tampa Bay Council will not host Civil War Reenactment

Since 1991, the Greater Tampa Bay Area Council has hosted the Brooksville Raid (1864) Reenactment at their 1,300-acre Sand Hill Scout Reservation. Now Council has decided not to renew the agreement with event co-sponsors, the Hernando Historical Museum Association and the North Pinellas County Scout Sertoma Club. The next reenactment in January would have been the 40th anniversary of the event.

“There were several issues that were discussed and contributed to the decision,” said Jim Rees, chief executive officer for the council. “Ultimately, the committee determined it was not in the best interest of the scout council to continue.” He provided no other specifics.

On their Facebook page, Brooksville Raid organizers cited the pandemic and declining profitability as factors.

Organizers and those who commented on the post also mentioned declining interest among young people in joining the reenactment community and the recent racial unrest across the country.

Will other Scout councils and units withdraw from reenactment events?

Photos and more at source:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/hernando/2020/07/20/living-history-or-playing-war-brooksville-raid-reenactment-ends-after-40-years/

image.png.fea9d0e3f18af32de0776dc580dbb751.png

Edited by RememberSchiff

just thinking about reenactments a few days ago.  I love history, enjoyed going to reenactments and historical sites as a child and it was usually cheap for my poor mother.  I've taken my family to several.  I've never owned a confederate flag but I wonder how any event like this can survive in a society that has become intolerant of just about everything.  The gray army gets no insignia?  But then people are still imitating traitors and the wrong side.  Blue army vs blue army?  I'm sure WWII reenactments will probably suffer because of this increased scrutiny too.  Conneaut OH has a very large D-Day reenactment that many troops volunteer at and everyone has a great time while learning.

34 minutes ago, thrifty said:

just thinking about reenactments a few days ago.  I love history, enjoyed going to reenactments and historical sites as a child and it was usually cheap for my poor mother.  I've taken my family to several.  I've never owned a confederate flag but I wonder how any event like this can survive in a society that has become intolerant of just about everything.  The gray army gets no insignia?  But then people are still imitating traitors and the wrong side.  Blue army vs blue army?  I'm sure WWII reenactments will probably suffer because of this increased scrutiny too.  Conneaut OH has a very large D-Day reenactment that many troops volunteer at and everyone has a great time while learning.

You do not think there is a difference in conducting a reenactment with some authenticity such as the confederate flag and someone displaying it at work or on their car/NASCAR/on a shirt?

• Upvote 1
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 3:09 PM, thrifty said:

Not sure how someone could find fault in WWII?  We only entered war after we were attacked and then also went to Europe to help end the Holocaust and stomp out the Nazi's.  I guess there is so people who will argue America's use of internment camps and dropping the bombs.  But I guess I stand with the "Don't poke the bear and they wont attack you" lot.    War is h#ll no matter which way you look at it. 

I am in Florida had have attended some reenactments a long time ago.  I think if we erase history, people are doomed to repeat it.  Why can't people look at it like 1/2 the nation was willing to fight for what was wrong and end slavery?   The North ultimately "won" the war, so why not celebrate that?  If you are cancelling history, then you will only create fiction to fit your narrative. 

Gosh I try to not get political but this cancel culture is going to doom our country.   This is why not everyone should get a trophy.    Life has disappointments at times and that is something people need to learn how to cope with.  

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 3:45 PM, Navybone said:

You do not think there is a difference in conducting a reenactment with some authenticity such as the confederate flag and someone displaying it at work or on their car/NASCAR/on a shirt?

Its not important what I think.  What's important is what other people think.  Other people find the flag offensive to see or be displayed and that is exactly what happens at any civil war reenactment.  Earlier this month, there was protesting for the local county fair to publicly ban the confederate flag because one vendor, listed as a Civil War memorabilia seller, sold items with the flag on it.  I don't know anything about the vendor, maybe he was selling baseball hats with the flag instead of chasseuer caps but I am very familiar with the fair and the blowout was total nonsense.

On 7/20/2020 at 2:45 PM, Navybone said:

Yes, I do think there is a difference.

If I understand the history correctly, stock car racing (now called NASCAR) was started by prohibition era bootleggers who wanted to show off their souped-up cars and compete against each other.  It was a celebration of lawlessness.  The confederate battle-flag was used primarily as a symbol of their lawlessness.  

I am generally uncomfortable with those who glorify lawlessness, whether it be NASCAR, movie studios, or music groups.  For that reason alone, I think we should support a change in symbolism and attitudes.  The irony is not lost on me that BLM, a group that promotes and glorifies lawlessness, is objecting to other groups who use historical symbols to promote and glorify lawlessness.  

Sadly, scouting is losing popularity, possibly because it doesn't promote and glorify lawlessness.

10 hours ago, thrifty said:

Its not important what I think.  What's important is what other people think. 

Sorry, other people don't get to tell me what symbols mean to me.  They can ask me what they mean to me, we can talk about it, but they don't get to define meaning nor action to be taken.  It's lost on the postmodern crowd that by giving words and symbols control over their emotions they infantilize themselves.

• Upvote 2
11 hours ago, walk in the woods said:

... They can ask me what they mean to me, we can talk about it, but they don't get to define meaning nor action to be taken.  ...

We used to do this more in Scouting... explain, in your own words, the meaning of the flag, Pledge of Allegiance, National Anthem, Scout Oath and Law, Scout badge,...and often the scout thoughts expressed were priceless.  How can we develop leaders without asking what they think and giving them the freedom to do so?

For example, old Tenderfoot requirements  2. ...Describe Scout Badge & explain its meaning...memorize 12 words of the Law and explaining their meaning in your own words

My $0.02,

Edited by RememberSchiff
clarity
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

We used to do this more in Scouting... explain, in your own words, the meaning of the flag, Pledge of Allegiance, National Anthem, Scout Oath and Law, Scout badge,...and often the scout thoughts expressed were priceless.  How can we develop leaders without asking what they think and giving them the freedom to do so?

For example, old Tenderfoot requirements  2. ...Describe Scout Badge & explain its meaning...memorize 12 words of the Law and explaining their meaning in your own words

My $0.02,

Cub Scouts: Webelos/AOL Scouting Adventure Requirement 1a-e

1. Prepare yourself to join a troop by completing at least a-c below:

1. Repeat from memory the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout motto, and Scout slogan. In your own words, explain their meanings to your den leader, parent, or guardian.
  2. Explain what Scout spirit is. Describe for your den leader, parent, or guardian some ways you have shown Scout spirit by conducting yourself according to the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout motto, and Scout slogan.
  3. Give the Scout sign, salute, and handshake. Explain when to use each.
  4. Describe the First Class Scout badge, and tell what each part stands for. Explain the significance of the First Class Scout badge.
  5. Repeat from memory the Pledge of Allegiance. In your own words, explain its meaning

Scouts, BSA Scout Rank Requirement 1

a. Repeat from memory the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout motto, and Scout slogan. In your own words, explain their meaning

b. Explain what Scout spirit is. Describe some ways you have shown Scout spirit by practicing the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout motto, and Scout slogan.

c. Demonstrate the Scout sign, salute, and handshake. Explain when they should be used.

d. Describe the First Class Scout badge and tell what each part stands for. Explain the significance of the First Class Scout badge.

e. Repeat from memory the Outdoor Code. In your own words, explain what the Outdoor Code means to you.

f. Repeat from memory the Pledge of Allegiance. In your own words, explain its meaning.

The Scout Oath and/or Law are a part of every rank requirement. The Oath is mentioned 16 times between Scout and Eagle rank. The Law 19 times.

There are three separate references to the U.S. flag or pledging allegiance to it.

Scout Rank
1f. Repeat from memory the Pledge of Allegiance. In your own words, explain its meaning

Second Class
8a. Participate in a flag ceremony for your school, religious institution, chartered organization, community, or Scouting activity.
8b. Explain what respect is due the flag of the United States.

What, precisely, more do you want?

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for correction. I was looking at an old link with these requirements this morning. Sorry about that.

Scout Joining Requirements:

1. Meet age requirements. Be a boy who has completed the fifth grade or is 11 years old, or has earned the Arrow of Light Award but is under 18 years old.
  2. Complete a Boy Scout application and health history signed by your parent or guardian.
  3. Find a Scout troop near your home.
  4. Repeat the Pledge of Allegiance.
  5. Demonstrate the Scout sign, salute, and handshake.
  6. Demonstrate tying the square knot (a joining knot).
  7. Understand and agree to live by the Scout Oath, Scout Law, motto, and slogan, and the Outdoor Code.
  8. Describe the Scout badge.
  9. Complete the pamphlet exercises. With your parent or guardian, complete the exercises in the pamphlet How to Protect Your Children from Child Abuse: A Parent's Guide.
  10. Participate in a Scoutmaster conference. Turn in your Boy Scout application and health history form signed by your parent or guardian, then participate in a Scoutmaster conference.

44 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Scout Joining Requirements:

Yep. Scout is now a rank. When it was just join, the meanings were still in tenderfoot. It was honestly confusing to keep track of what was where.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

Back to OP,

June: Due to covid and lack of profit,  Greater Tampa Bay Council cancels Jan, 2021 Civil War Reenactment at 1200 acre Sand Hill Scout Reservation (event would have been 40th reenactment of Brooksville Raid).

Nov: Greater Tampa Bay Council okays SEED Foundation's Snow Bash public event for Nov 28 at Sand Hill Scout Reservation.

http://www.suncoastnews.com/news/brooksville-raid-organizer-sees-hypocrisy-over-use-of-boy-scout-reservation/article_b50827e6-2f2c-11eb-a4d2-e340fa1ad6ba.html