Corona Virus "friendly" service ideas

On 8/8/2020 at 8:34 AM, Eagle94-A1 said:

@Momleader,

Please let your Scout come up with ideas on their own based upon the requirements in the MB. The more you try and "help," the more opportunities you take away.

This is an opportunity for your Scout to do research, and come up with ideas, thinking outside of the box if needed. If you give them ideas for the project you are taking away the opportunity for them to think on their own. 

If your Scout is having challenges, then the MBC is the one who should be asked, and by the Scout.

The kids in my pack  aren’t the ones asking. I was just throwing out some ideas for the original poster who asked for for suggestions.   Maybe the MBC is someone meeting with the scout virtually or maybe the scout has other issues the parents are aware of and didn’t get into on here.  These are unprecedented times and a little grace for others goes a long way. 

8 hours ago, Momleader said:

The kids in my pack  aren’t the ones asking. I was just throwing out some ideas for the original poster who asked for for suggestions.   Maybe the MBC is someone meeting with the scout virtually or maybe the scout has other issues the parents are aware of and didn’t get into on here.  These are unprecedented times and a little grace for others goes a long way. 

My apologies. The similarities in names got to me.

As for meeting with MBCs virtually, one of the many reasons I dislike it is that the lack of personal contact. Local MBCs know the community, and can help guide the Scouts. Having an MBC in Hawaii working with a Maine Scout does not know the community the Scout is living in, and cannot help much.

And I do stand by my comment, even in these unprecedented times. This is a great opportunity for the Scout to get out of their comfort zone, think outside the box, and learn to do things on their own. The more I work with high school and college age students, the more I am seeing a complete dependence on parents and other adults to tell them what to do. They cannot think for themselves. I'm seeing it now with the number of students registering for classes who have parents with them, and the parents are the ones picking classes.

My son is kind of in the same boat, but he's got the triple whammy of trying to finish off his hours for Citizenship in the Community, plus the hours for his rank advancement, plus hours he needs for his Confirmation (non-Scout, but still...).  His issue was that he had already started his hours at the local charity for Cit. in the Comm. MB and was half way done when COVID hit.  The charity has reopened, but in light of COVID and a scandal involving a director there and an underage volunteer, the volunteer program is on hold and is being re-evaluated. His choice was to wait out the charity, or to re-do his hours elsewhere.  Not normally a problem, considering the other hours he still needs to fill.  The challenge he's seeing in our area is that, in light of COVID, youth volunteers are getting sidelined, either for safety reasons because he's a minor, or because there are actually qualified adults the charity would rather take over the inexperienced youth.  (The animal shelter he looked into as part of his MB, for example, has an influx of former professional pet groomers and veterinary college students that were sent home.)  There's an increase in Scouts and students looking for a dwindling number of service hour opportunities and the only thing he can do is keep plugging away.