Are we up to the challenges today?

Part of the article on youth and world peace I have been rading;  "“The Education of Young People – A Statement at the Dawn of the 21st Century”. The five organisations (World YMCA, World YWCA, WOSM, WAGGGS and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies), which together “…actively involve in excess of 100 million young people” feel that the value of nonformal education is “…often underestimated and its benefits undervalued” and they call for recognition that “…non-formal education is an essential part of the educational process” and therefore that “…the contribution made by non-formal education organisations” deserves appreciation and support."

More from Baden Powell and World Scouting:  "The idea of world brotherhood is indeed deeply rooted in B-P’s thinking. Already in 1921, he wrote in “Jamboree”: “How God must laugh at the little differences that we set up amongst ourselves under the camouflage of religion, politics, patriotism or class, to the neglect of a far greater tie – that of the Brotherhood in the Human Family.”

"""The Humble, Meek, Merciful, Just,  Pious and Devout Souls,   are everywhere of one Religion;    and when Death has taken off the Mask, they will know one another, 

tho' the divers Liveries they wear here make them Strangers.""""    #519.  from “Some Fruits of Solitude” 1682   = William Penn (1644-1718) -

'"""Hath not a (insert human group)  hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer as a (insert your own human group)  is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? """   = W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice (adapted) =

“Underneath,  We’re All the Same” 

“He prayed  --  It wasn’t my religion.

He ate --  It wasn’t what I ate.

He spoke --  It wasn’t my language.

He dressed --  It wasn’t what I wore.

He took my hand --  It wasn’t the color of mine.

But when he laughed  --  it was how I laughed,

And when he cried  --  it was how I cried.”

=  Amy Maddox, age 16, Franklin Community High School, Bargerville IN =

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Amy has a good heart.  But I seriously ask if sameness is the path to brotherhood, to use the old word.

In terms of basic human rights, all  should be equal in the eyes of the law - in all nations.

We ought to love our human brothers, to use the old word, for what they are, including their diversity - members of our single race.

I was reared to appreciate diversity, family guidance supported by my extremely diverse Boy Scout Troop in my youth.  But that did not presume homogeneity - far from it.    E.g.: Our brilliant  Chinese exchange student just could not "get" why my son's extremely large classmate was called "Tiny."  He found it neither humorous or even comprehensible.  "Tiny," he had learned, meant small, not 6'5' and 260 pounds.   "Crazy," it turned out, was a word well known to him, like "OK." (And  he WOULD only sharpen a knife with a single bevel, like a chisel.)

My biological brothers shared some beliefs and behaviors with me, but were not the same.  The one still left alive would not speak to me for forty-three years in order to obey the doctrine of his church not to associate in a non-business setting with those not of that faith ("bad association").  Then his wife passed on, and we can communicate again, carefully avoiding political issues.

Until being the "other" does not bring fear and hate, we are doomed to repeat the past.  "Getting along" would be an historic improvement.  There have been at least two wars going on every year of my life, most getting no coverage in the U.S. media because not everyone matters.  Most of these wars, like the Western Sahara War of 1975-1991, in which tens of thousands died, was a war of independence between different ethnic groups.  It goes on to this day as lower-intensity unrest and violence.  Or Google " Tamil Tigers to learn about a twenty-one year civil war on religious and ethnic lines that relates to historic wrongs over seventy-five years and is in recess.

I think this is a matter of substance, not being picky.  

8 hours ago, SSScout said:

... But when he laughed  --  it was how I laughed, And when he cried  --  it was how I cried.”

=  Amy Maddox, age 16, Franklin Community High School, Bargerville IN =

But when he went to The Summit and took an ambient temperature shower, his shriek had an accent!