Virtual Summer Camps and MBs

What are your thoughts about councils running Virtual Summer camps which are really MB events ?

Prices?   I've heard of $5 up to $25 per badge .  Also seen where they charge for Totem Chip and Fireman Chits and early scout skills.

A few other evening events such as a campfire and OA socials.

1 hour ago, PACAN said:

What are your thoughts about councils running Virtual Summer camps which are really MB events ?

Prices?   I've heard of $5 up to $25 per badge .  Also seen where they charge for Totem Chip and Fireman Chits and early scout skills.

A few other evening events such as a campfire and OA socials.

Not a fan...but then I've not like the merit badge universities either.

Not only NO, but HECK NO!  I've heard stories of over 100 Scouts in a "class." I took two online classes for one of my masters. One class had over 80 students, and I know the teacher did not read all the work turned in. Thank goodness the class was something I had experience in.In addition to the large class numbers, I am hearing about paperwork not being given to the Scouts once they complete the requirements. We had zoom meetings while we were not able to meet, and we did some MB work. Even in a small group like my troop, I have caught Scouts goofing off playing video games, walking away from meetings and doing other things, etc.

And here is the part I hate: you have qualified MBCs locally for the bulk of the MBs, and all you need to do is make a phone call to get in touch with them. One of my Scouts is pushing to get Eagle before he turns 18. He needs 6 Eagle required MBs, including 2 with 90 day requirements. His parents wanted him to do all 6 at an online summer camp paying over $150 to do them. We have at least 2 MBCs in the troop for each MB he needs.