Troop is Off to Summit's Merit Badge Camp

When Camp Powhattan closed for the summer, we took advantage of the opportunity to transfer to Summit's merit badge camp at the same price. During the pandemic, I started with a new company (doing the same job), so even though I'm the scoutmaster, I don't have enough PTO to do both this and Northern Tier (fingers crossed).

Summit had multiple Zoom presentations and I have to say I am very impressed with the people who are running the program. We've never been there, but they certainly give one confidence.

I'm of course hoping that all the evidence that outdoor activities are safe and kids rarely (not never) have problems with Covid-19 holds true.

We have a fairly big group of first year scouts doing the Brownsea Island program. Of course they did not have an opportunity to be a part of our troop as they usually would due to the pandemic. Everyone will be tenting solo as one of the many Covid-19 precautions, so I hope all of these young scouts do well with this new experience. They did do a Wild Webelos campout that was not family camping, so it won't be their first time without mom and dad.

Wishing all the scouts and scouters a great time and good health!

• Upvote 1

69RoadRunner,

I really hope your scouts have a great time. Even though I've never liked "merit badge" themed programs, I've had to learn to get over it. There sounds like lots of opportunity for fun at this camp as well.

You mention Camp Powhatan. I have many memories of that camp, as well as Camp Ottari. I'm from elsewhere in Virginia, but as a long time scoutmaster (now former), these programs always excelled way beyond our local camp, and we considered them our home camps.. That, and the fact that my parents are from that area and I got to visit a bit during the camp week.

Somewhere along the line, units will be able to start meeting and going on camping trips again. I'm concerned that in my area, many units will not start up again. They'll say they want to wait until the fall and gather themselves. That ain't going to happen. If the troop that I support starts meeting again, I see many challenges to getting its program back to where it was. I also will be surprised if half the scouts show back up. That prior statement is based on my experiences as a scout leader, and the fragile economic state we are in.

Power on 68RoadRunner. Keep the spirit alive.

sst3rd

• Sad 1
17 minutes ago, sst3rd said:

69RoadRunner,

I really hope your scouts have a great time. Even though I've never liked "merit badge" themed programs, I've had to learn to get over it. There sounds like lots of opportunity for fun at this camp as well.

You mention Camp Powhatan. I have many memories of that camp, as well as Camp Ottari. I'm from elsewhere in Virginia, but as a long time scoutmaster (now former), these programs always excelled way beyond our local camp, and we considered them our home camps.. That, and the fact that my parents are from that area and I got to visit a bit during the camp week.

Somewhere along the line, units will be able to start meeting and going on camping trips again. I'm concerned that in my area, many units will not start up again. They'll say they want to wait until the fall and gather themselves. That ain't going to happen. If the troop that I support starts meeting again, I see many challenges to getting its program back to where it was. I also will be surprised if half the scouts show back up. That prior statement is based on my experiences as a scout leader, and the fragile economic state we are in.

Power on 68RoadRunner. Keep the spirit alive.

sst3rd

Thanks. We're actually from just outside DC in Springfield, VA, but since I've been in the troop, we always went to Ottari. This year we were going to change things up a tad and do Powhatan.

While this part of Summit is a merit badge camp, it is not exclusively that. There are many activities for scouts to try.  I'm of course hoping everyone comes back healthy and telling stories of the great time they had. I hope they all learned valuable scout skills, particularly our new scouts. My son and our Troop Guide worked with most of them to get their Scout rank (or most of it).

I'm thankful for our ASM who did so much work bouncing between camps and dates to make this happen. So much has been canceled for these kids.

3 hours ago, sst3rd said:

Somewhere along the line, units will be able to start meeting and going on camping trips again. I'm concerned that in my area, many units will not start up again.

Depending on where you are at, there's going to be units-on-paper that last because they can recharter in August with what they have on paper now as people wait it out.

For the December recharters, let's see. THAT will be the real telling factor. Random, wild,  speculation: 20-40% unit collapse.

6 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

I'm of course hoping that all the evidence that outdoor activities are safe and kids rarely (not never) have problems with Covid-19 holds true.

Wishing all the scouts and scouters a great time and good health!

I also hope your scouts and scouters have a great time and stay in good health. 

I also wish the same for everyone they encounter in West Virginia as well and hope they are mindful that the county you are traveling from has five times the COVID death rate as the entire state of West Virginia. Compared state to state, Virginia has 17 times the number of deaths as West Virginia. According to CDC recommendations, we were not supposed to be doing this -- sending kids from higher transmission areas into lower transmission areas. West Virginia has so far escaped the worst of this. I am hoping that Summit is completely self contained and that everyone gets through it safely. 

3 minutes ago, yknot said:

I also hope your scouts and scouters have a great time and stay in good health. 

I also wish the same for everyone they encounter in West Virginia as well and hope they are mindful that the county you are traveling from has five times the COVID death rate as the entire state of West Virginia. Compared state to state, Virginia has 17 times the number of deaths as West Virginia. According to CDC recommendations, we were not supposed to be doing this -- sending kids from higher transmission areas into lower transmission areas. West Virginia has so far escaped the worst of this. I am hoping that Summit is completely self contained and that everyone gets through it safely. 

That is the way they described Summit. It's basically a self-contained community.

Our crew was only to stop for a bathroom break. They took bag lunches. They all had to take their temps for 5 days leading up to arrival. Any adults who were just drivers had to remain in their vehicles at dropoff.

They will have no interaction with the residents outside of camp. 

The changes they made to prevent spread of Covid-19 at camp are extensive.  Little time will be spent inside.

Virginia is about to go to phase 3 of reopening.

If massive outdoor gatherings with zero social distancing is allowed for protests, these kids should be able to attend summer camp where there are a great deal more protections in place.

1 hour ago, 69RoadRunner said:

That is the way they described Summit. It's basically a self-contained community.

Our crew was only to stop for a bathroom break. They took bag lunches. They all had to take their temps for 5 days leading up to arrival. Any adults who were just drivers had to remain in their vehicles at dropoff.

They will have no interaction with the residents outside of camp. 

The changes they made to prevent spread of Covid-19 at camp are extensive.  Little time will be spent inside.

Virginia is about to go to phase 3 of reopening.

If massive outdoor gatherings with zero social distancing is allowed for protests, these kids should be able to attend summer camp where there are a great deal more protections in place.

Well, as long as the camp staff and employees don't leave Summit for the summer and bring it back to their families and communities. Keep in mind that temp taking is mostly a feel good measure because a significant percentage of COVID cases don't have fevers or don't develop them until after they are infectious. It's more predictive where you came from and who you might have been exposed to, which is why the histories are probably the most effective tool. That's good if they actually tell people to stay home or leave. Also, questionable protester behavior shouldn't inform scout behavior... we're supposed to be more civic minded.  

I understand the need to get kids into some kind of normalcy, I'm just not seeing why 

2 minutes ago, yknot said:

Well, as long as the camp staff and employees don't leave Summit for the summer and bring it back to their families and communities. Keep in mind that temp taking is mostly a feel good measure because a significant percentage of COVID cases don't have fevers or don't develop them until after they are infectious. It's more predictive where you came from and who you might have been exposed to, which is why the histories are probably the most effective tool. That's good if they actually tell people to stay home or leave. Also, questionable protester behavior shouldn't inform scout behavior... we're supposed to be more civic minded.  

I understand the need to get kids into some kind of normalcy, I'm just not seeing why 

But the public health experts told us the protests were fine.

5 minutes ago, 69RoadRunner said:

But the public health experts told us the protests were fine.

I know. But it's becoming pretty obvious that protests, bars, and tattoos have not been a great idea. 

48 minutes ago, yknot said:

I know. But it's becoming pretty obvious that protests, bars, and tattoos have not been a great idea. 

My understanding is indoor crowds (bars and tattoo parlors) are much worse than outdoor crowds. A fair amount of analysis has gone into this. I'm cautiously optimistic those scouts have a fun safe trip. That would be wonderful news. 

69roadrunner, keep us informed till a few weeks after they get back.