3 hours ago, mashmaster said:

On his first work day he had many members from his old troops so I think I can safely say it was ammicable.  Not sure why you would doubt that?  

Well, you're complaining that members of his former units weren't supporting his project.  Former being the operative word.  Just because one party believes a break up is amicable doesn't imply both parties do.  

You didn't answer my question though about his shipmates.  Did they show up to work?

1 hour ago, walk in the woods said:

Well, you're complaining that members of his former units weren't supporting his project.  Former being the operative word.  Just because one party believes a break up is amicable doesn't imply both parties do.  

You didn't answer my question though about his shipmates.  Did they show up to work?

Today was the second workday.  Only two scouts from the former troop and a member from the local Mountain biking community showed up.  If you read what I wrote, it wasn't that the former units were supporting his project.  The Scoutmasters asked him to send them the signup information and didn't send it out.  The Scoutmasters are not the unit, the youth are.

At the prior work day, there were members from his Ship, Crew, and two prior Troops showed up to work.  I am not sure what you are driving at with this question.   For his Ship, he reached out directly to them, Ships are much much smaller than Troops and he has had multiple members of that unit have supported and been there but even if the entire Ship showed up the number is 10.  The troops he was with are both around 60 scouts.

Don't know that I'm driving at anything.  I'm just confused.  In August of 2018 you wrote in your "OA Ordeal Question" thread:

Well, we just got back from a troop meeting where the Scoutmaster was disrespectful to my son, questioned everything, wouldn't sign a merit badge card because he has been busy attending Sea Scout meetings rather than the Troop meeting.  He asked me point blank in the car if he can quit the troop now or does he have to wait until after his Ordeal weekend.  Can he just go with being a member of the Ship vs. the Troop that voted him in?

Then in September 2018 in your "Some people have some nerve thread:

Not surprisingly my favorite scoutmaster put out an email that for anyone going to the OA Fall Assembly they needed to email her, then when emailed she said my son and I needed to see her first.  ummm, no, that isn't how it works she doesn't control OA attendance.  Some gaul she has....

then in your July 2019 thread "Invisible Scouts" thread:

So our Charter Org Rep makes a big deal about our troops first ever scout going to World Jamboree to the entire troop email and asks them to send him care packages.   The troop has been around for a long time so he is making a big deal so it makes sense.  Of course my son who is in the troop and also going to World Jamboree isn't mentioned at all....  He tells me at dinner tonight "they don't even know I exist".  He transferred in a year ago and basically feels invisible.   COR knows he is also going....

I feel like sending mail to the COR and saying "Way to go jerk....."

It just seems like you've had an adversarial relationship with the troop/troops for a while. 

4 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

Don't know that I'm driving at anything.  I'm just confused.  In August of 2018 you wrote in your "OA Ordeal Question" thread:

Then in September 2018 in your "Some people have some nerve thread:

then in your July 2019 thread "Invisible Scouts" thread:

It just seems like you've had an adversarial relationship with the troop/troops for a while. 

Well, that Scoutmaster is gone and the other Assistant Scoutmasters came to me with similar complaints.  So it wasn't just me.  In fact the Scoutmaster publicly shamed a boy and the boy quit scouting.   That was one of the last straws for the rest of the troop to see the true metal of the person.

And yes I have issues when Adults in scouting don't  operate in the best interest of the youth.

Ideally he should have asked for help from his current troop, and then reached out to the youth in his old troops. He also could have had friends from school and other organizations like youth group or sports teams assist him as well on the work party days. Part of learning to be a leader includes recruitment of helpers for work parties. 

On 6/29/2020 at 1:26 PM, Momleader said:

Ideally he should have asked for help from his current troop, and then reached out to the youth in his old troops. He also could have had friends from school and other organizations like youth group or sports teams assist him as well on the work party days. Part of learning to be a leader includes recruitment of helpers for work parties. 

He did do all of that.  His "Ship" is small, he reached out to them.  Also to the previous troops per the request of the Scoutmaster and to the local mountain biking community.  The mountain bikers have been extremely helpful in supporting him. 

• Upvote 1