Civil Protest, Policing, Moving Forward

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think discussion would be fine. However, I'm not seeing discussion. Minds are already made up. We may be polite-ish about speaking our minds but I'm not sure anyone has ever changed their mind readi

Yes. The prime reason scouting is in such a dire place is because of deep rooted, long term internal problems. BSA should never have allowed a single religion to run a shadow program within a program

I disagree with your characterization of liberals. Almost all of them I know do defend the right for others to have contrary opinions. The idea that they all want these banned or criminalized , no.  R

Posted Images

• 3 months later...
On 7/12/2020 at 8:54 PM, walk in the woods said:

So what generation were all those politicians that passed the civil rights legislation and voting rights legislation in the 60s?

Mostly Republicans with white hair - "old White men."

On 7/12/2020 at 10:53 PM, David CO said:

Now look who is engaging in historical revisionism.  

Actually, it's reality.  Anyone could quoite pages and pages of statements by every rebel state and every Coinfederate cabinet member that it was all about slavery.    Anyone who can use Goiogle can find them.   My Grandmother was National Commander of the Daughters of the Confederacy and National Chairperson of the drive to raise funds to buld a Jefferson Davis Monumnent nto match the Washington Monument (in Davis' home town in Kentucky - the lesser monument actually built still stands)., so I heard THAT side over and over.  But I also read the contemporary newspapers and books written by rebel leaders.  

"Our doctrine is this: WE ARE FIGHTING FOR INDEPENDENCE THAT OUR GREAT AND NECESSARY DOMESTIC INSTITUTION OF SLAVERY SHALL BE PRESERVED, and for the preservation of other institutions of which slavery is the groundwork."

On 7/12/2020 at 9:25 PM, Navybone said:

There are 17 different items BLM is supporting In their mission.  You have identified one and disparage the rest of the organization and their goals for that?  And it does NOT call for the destruction of the family, rather it calls for recognition that extended families and villages have a significant pace in today’s society.  Do we not want equality under law for all Americans, regardless of race?  Do we not understand that a significant portion of our population is disenfranchised and there is room and opportunity to heal the Division that occurs.  

And for Duckworth, her comments are for being willing to having a dialogue.  Do we not want open discussion and debate?  Are we so closed minded?  Cultural Marxism is a new-con wet- dream to encourage right wing conservative government, not an engaged government willing to talk to the people, and understand their concerns. 

what are you listening to?  

I am listening to SBLM.  And some of their goals are fine.  But far more than one is abhorent.  I would be happy toilist them.

On 7/13/2020 at 1:38 AM, David CO said:

Yes, but you are cherry picking.  Only 5 of the seceding states chose to issue a declaration of causes.  In those 5, it was clearly stated that they had other causes in addition to slavery.  Texas, for example, pointed out that if they did not secede, they would no longer be contiguous with the rest of the United States (because all of their border states had already seceded).  They would have been forced go to war with with an enemy army that could easily surround them.  This was a very serious issue in the Texas secession debates, as you might well imagine.

Likewise, some Southern states voted to not secede.  This wasn't because they were unsympathetic to the rebel cause.  They were on the border with Northern states, and knew they couldn't hold out against the federal army.   

And Texas bordered The New Mexiso Territory and the Indian Territory - of th United States.  A minority of their border was with Arkansas and Louisiana., and Texas left BEFORE Arkansas.

"DECLARATION OF CAUSES: February 2, 1861
A declaration of the causes which impel the State of Texas to secede from the Federal Union.

She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits--a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. Her institutions and geographical position established the strongest ties between her and other slave-holding States of the confederacy. Those ties have been strengthened by association. But what has been the course of the government of the United States, and of the people and authorities of the non-slave-holding States, since our connection with them?

The controlling majority of the Federal Government, under various pretences and disguises, has so administered the same as to exclude the citizens of the Southern States, unless under odious and unconstitutional restrictions, from all the immense territory owned in common by all the States on the Pacific Ocean, for the avowed purpose of acquiring sufficient power in the common government to use it as a means of destroying the institutions of Texas and her sister slave-holding States.

By the disloyalty of the Northern States and their citizens and the imbecility of the Federal Government, infamous combinations of incendiaries and outlaws have been permitted in those States and the common territory of Kansas to trample upon the federal laws, to war upon the lives and property of Southern citizens in that territory, and finally, by violence and mob law, to usurp the possession of the same as exclusively the property of the Northern States."

On 7/16/2020 at 11:49 PM, MattR said:

Someone made one mistake and it was pulled down. That doesn't sound like much of a trend to worry about. However, if they had, for example, lied 20000 times in 4 years, then you'd have something to talk about.

Someone lied 20,000 times in four years., "Moderator."  Are you thinking of Kevin Trudeau?  He's still in prison.

On 7/17/2020 at 2:55 PM, Navybone said:

Where are you seeing BLM advocating replacing our system over government?  I just  looked all through their site and do not see anything about a revolution or changing any of the principle documents of government.  Do they think that there is a significant racism issue in this country, yes.  But I do not see them pushing for a new constitution, maybe just ensuring they get the rights that the constitution affords them.  You cannot legislate away racism.  

"We are Marxists"

If we don't get what we want, "burn it down."

• 3 weeks later...

HAPPY NEW YEAR IN PORTLAND>

"Portland rang in the new year with a riot — as vandals wreaked havoc throughout the Oregon city, tossing Molotov cocktails and attacking law enforcement with rocks and bricks, police said.

The crowd convened around 7:45 p.m. near Chapman Square downtown, the heart of protests that raged in the city throughout 2020.

Portland police said at least two Molotov cocktails were thrown and commercial-grade fireworks were launched at the federal courthouse and Justice Center, which some rioters attempted to break into.

The crowd also set multiple fires and chucked rocks, bricks and frozen water bottles at officers from the Federal Protective Services and Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office. Some were struck by paint-filled balloons, which Portland police said may have been “laced with a caustic substance as it caused burning to the skin.”

SOURCE: Washington Post.  Accord: The Hill; CBS; Daulycaller.com; Newsweek, MSN, and many others.  Not covered by  CNN.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

SEATTLE (KOMO) — KOMO News aired a 90-minute documentary Saturday evening examining the decay, chaos and business closures that have resulted from the drug culture that lives on in Seattle.

Caption: 'Fight for the Soul of Seattle'

KOMO News anchor/reporter Eric Johnson presented “The Fight for the Soul of Seattle,” a follow-up to 2019's “Seattle is Dying,” which debuted in March 2019. The original program has been viewed more than 10 million times across multiple platforms and was the recipient of an Edward R. Murrow Regional Award for documentary as well as a Northwest NATAS Emmy Award for Documentary.

The new program will also re-air on Jan. 2, 2021 at 2:30 p.m. It can also be viewed on the KOMO-TV YouTube page by clicking here.

During the documentary, KOMO News and Johnson examine the role of the Seattle City Council in allowing the situation to reach what many experts consider epidemic levels under the guise of a compassionate approach to people who suffer from substance addiction and who commit crimes to feed their habit.

"The 'Fight for the Soul of Seattle' is an essay, really," Johnson said. "It's a stark, frank look at a philosophy that has taken hold in Seattle, and that I believe is destroying not only our city, but countless lives that are left to languish in misery all around us. The philosophy is this: Seattle no longer feels the need to stop anyone from doing anything. My hope is that the show doesn't become a political football. A blame game. An us-versus-them talking point that results in nothing but division."

“Fight for the Soul of Seattle” documents the heartbreaking condition of people on the streets, and the crushing decisions Seattle entrepreneurs are forced to contemplate as their life savings and dreams are destroyed by theft, vandalism and a dwindling customer base. This documentary also explores potential bold solutions to treat those living on the streets and pair them with agencies and assistance that can provide a clear path away from the endless circle of addiction and crime.

Edited by MattR
No videos, please summarize.

I just spent too much time watching that. I've stated before and I'll repeat it now. Summarize the videos. Did you even watch all of this? This is not about BLM in the least, or even Seattle's CHOP zone. It's about mental health.

But I did like the interview of the scout that got hooked on oxycontin and nearly died, so I guess that's why it's related to scouting? Or maybe it's that the US is a third world country, with how it treats the poor/those with mental health problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, MattR, I watched it all.  I only post links to videos I have watched 100%.  I think the issue of what to do to stop the death of our cities by social experiment is worth the time routinely devoted to half an NFL game.  YMMMV.

Later in the video, they present suggestions for handling the drug and mental illness crises - other than letting addicts and mentally ill people do whatever they elect to do.  

• Upvote 2