Civil Protest, Policing, Moving Forward

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think discussion would be fine. However, I'm not seeing discussion. Minds are already made up. We may be polite-ish about speaking our minds but I'm not sure anyone has ever changed their mind readi

Yes. The prime reason scouting is in such a dire place is because of deep rooted, long term internal problems. BSA should never have allowed a single religion to run a shadow program within a program

I disagree with your characterization of liberals. Almost all of them I know do defend the right for others to have contrary opinions. The idea that they all want these banned or criminalized , no.  R

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Troop75Eagle said:

That’s a great idea.  I have looked at bugling again and that definitely has a long and meaningful tradition in scouting everywhere. I saw the Braden Powell scouting does Ham Radio

From Baden-Powell's 1938 POR (Policy, Organization, & Rules)

http://www.inquiry.net/traditional/por/proficiency_badges.htm

Wirelessman

506.      (1)        Have an elementary knowledge of how a thermionic valve works as-

(a)        H.F. Amplifier.

(b)        Detector.

(c)        L.F. Amplifier

In a wireless set, and also how a "Westector" works

(2)        Know the functions of condenser, resistance, inductance, reaction and mains rectifier, transformer.

(3)        Know how to cure hum OR how to build a cheap mains eliminator.

(4)        Know how to locate and cure a simple fault in a wireless set.

(5)        Show a working knowledge of moving coil loud-speakers, both permanent magnet and mains energised  types.

(6)        Draw a simple diagram showing the way to connect up a stage of "resistance coupled" L.F. amplification, and another to illustrate the connections of a "L.F. transformer," and show a knowledge of the principles involved.

(7)        Read a technical diagram and interpret all the symbols ordinarily employed.

(8)        Have assembled a simple wireless receiver which works satisfactorily and know all the distress signals.

(9)        Know the methods of charging and looking after accumulators.

27 minutes ago, Kudu said:

From Baden-Powell's 1938 POR (Policy, Organization, & Rules)

http://www.inquiry.net/traditional/por/proficiency_badges.htm

Wirelessman

506.      (1)        Have an elementary knowledge of how a thermionic valve works as-

(a)        H.F. Amplifier.

(b)        Detector.

(c)        L.F. Amplifier

In a wireless set, and also how a "Westector" works

(2)        Know the functions of condenser, resistance, inductance, reaction and mains rectifier, transformer.

(3)        Know how to cure hum OR how to build a cheap mains eliminator.

(4)        Know how to locate and cure a simple fault in a wireless set.

(5)        Show a working knowledge of moving coil loud-speakers, both permanent magnet and mains energised  types.

(6)        Draw a simple diagram showing the way to connect up a stage of "resistance coupled" L.F. amplification, and another to illustrate the connections of a "L.F. transformer," and show a knowledge of the principles involved.

(7)        Read a technical diagram and interpret all the symbols ordinarily employed.

(8)        Have assembled a simple wireless receiver which works satisfactorily and know all the distress signals.

(9)        Know the methods of charging and looking after accumulators.

I’ve thought on and off about getting ham license as a challenge to myself at age 52.  Covid and travel have thumped that for a while.  Considered bugling too but I’m afraid my wife would wrap it around my neck

22 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

The nature of "virtue signaling" is hypocrisy.   

Not sure about virtue signaling...

im familiar with idealized virtues from antiquity and then knightly virtues

• Love God
  • Love your neighbour
  • Give alms to the poor
  • Entertain strangers
  • Visit the sick
  • Be merciful to prisoners
  • Do ill to no man, nor consent unto such
  • Forgive as ye hope to be forgiven
  • Redeem the captive
  • Help the oppressed
  • Defend the cause of the widow and orphan
  • Render righteous judgement
  • Do not consent to any wrong
  • Persevere not in wrath
  • Shun excess in eating and drinking
  • Be humble and kind
  • Serve your liege lord faithfully
  • Do not steal
  • Do not perjure yourself, nor let others do so
  • Envy, hatred and violence separate men from the Kingdom of God
  • Defend the Church and promote her cause.

Some of these need to be updated, with removals and additions but in principle they can be good personal benchmarks.  If signally means public display, then maybe that warrants caution.  Silent personal unostentatious practice is probably wiser.

11 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Fortunately, much of the population has the means to resist a new Reign of Terror.

That's true that many have the means, but how many will have the mindset to resist?  Far too many will comply, at least until it is too late to recognize that the time to resist has passed, at which point they may no longer have the means.

• Upvote 2

Absolutely, we have too many testimonials from survivors that their families and neighbors were complying, because, being the good citizens, that is what you did.  How different might things have looked in the early- to mid- 1900s if millions had resisted early, instead of complying.  I'm afraid that we will have a similar view in hindsight. 

Edited by awanatech
  • Upvote 1

"Virtue signaling" is a vendor of luxury vacations which I have never heard of  sending me an ad in which he asserts "We are all in this together."  Or decrying the mind-rending but statistically minor killing of civilians by Police while ignoring the several orders of magnitude greater rates of civilian-on-civilian homicides, typically of like-on-like.  

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Troop75Eagle said:

Considered bugling too but I’m afraid my wife would wrap it around my neck

My wife and kids protested at my bugling when I started...you can buy a mute that helps...nothing flashy...just a $10-15 model from Amazon.

Go in a room, close the door, use the mute, and you will keep the peace ;)

• Upvote 1

""Show mw what a man makes with his hands that I may know his heart" = Amish adage =

We are what we do, or don't do.  

No, I am NOT going to mention a fictional bi-pedal being......  

I’d forgotten that clip but remember the line. When I first saw the movie I was taken with it but never really thought it had much widespread application.  I’ve read a lot about wars, atrocities, cultural and human genocides but always figured they were perpetrators and those swept along.  I assumed all these had variations on a theme with a mix of criminal purpose, revenge, entitlement or some other similar human emotion and desire.  I figured there were layers created to evade responsibility by euphemism, analogy, suggestion or some unspoken communal awareness.  It’s only recently,  and in this country, that I have begun to realize That there are indeed a number of people whose only desire is ‘watching the world burn’.   I figured anarchists wanted change to something else and that while the change was deliberately extreme, it was to a new form and shape.  Instead, it seems that there are simply people that are disinhibited and devoid of purpose except deconstruction and disorder.  Their love, if it can be regarded as such, is simply to destroy.  So when Washington and Jefferson are torn down, next it’s whoever the replacements are. In a way, they act as anti-matter.