Thermometers for Northern Tier

The latest update from NT says we need 2 thermometers. No contact ones are ideal for a mixed group out in the wilderness, but the lowest cost ones have poor reviews. The good ones are rather expensive for a troop to purchase 2.

For anyone else going this year, what are you doing to meet this requirement? My other idea is 2 cheaper digital oral thermometers and get disposable covers. I'm not sure if they're going to ask us to check everyone every day. That would require a lot of covers and wipes.

Buy once, cry once is a good motto for medical gear.  I've taken a fair number of temps lately for some reason.  

1) If you are using the cheap oral thermometers, you really need to wipe it down between and clean hands between each person.   Oh, and change your gloves each time.   

2) The no contact is the way to go.   Shoot the forehead from a gloved hand.   

• Upvote 1

As you'll probably need an accurate temperature if someone becomes ill, an oral thermometer (with fresh batteries) should be fine. Usually I take a forehead strip thermometer as it easily indicates a fever. It's very inexpensive, durable, and can easily be sanitized. 

• Upvote 1