backpacking raingear consideration

I know this ribbon is about rain gear, but hey....

Some years ago, I bought a pair of Bundeswehr  (german army) winter trousers from my "surplus " store.  Most practical clothing I have ever seen.  Still use them when the weather turns really cold and it is time to  shovel the cars out of the snow, etc.  100% wool, double layer,  front layered with a plastic sheet, reinforced knees,  big pockets  everywhere, ribbons in the side pockets to tie your compass,  etc. to so they can't be lost.  No zippers to be frozen, only buttons.  Suspender buttons.  Waist adjustment by elastic and buttons.  Boot tie downs and cuff extensions so as to wear OVER boots.  

Such tailoring would probably cost alot of $$ but they were worth the "mark down"  I paid.  

56 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Some years ago, I bought a pair of Bundeswehr  (german army) winter trousers from my "surplus " store.  

You must have gotten the newer ones. Mine have no elastic. I do find the buttons difficult to work when it's cold and I really gotta go, but wool is great in the snow while active. Mine cost $15 army surplus but the price went up once everyone realized how great they are for snowshoeing.

But, back to rain. It's all about breathability. I'd think the skirt with summer weight gators might do the trick. 

Great days for buying surplus all those years ago when wool was replaced by polyester in all 1st World militaries.  The Swedish wool trpusers were pretty great too.

As the supply declined, the price rose.  Econ 101.

Love rain kilt, light, packable, breathable, easy to put on without taking off backpack. My boys did 50-milers and Philmont with it.