BSA's Commitment to Act Against Racial Injustice

We condemn the murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and all those who are not named but are equally important. We hear the anguish, feel the heartbreak and join the country’s resolve to do better.

So we're going to introduce a new MERIT BADGE???!!!

Could there be a more trivial response to murder, anguish, and heartbreak?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone, it's me, again, a moderator. It seems that the temperature on social media has gone up in the past week. I've seen some really ugly things posted on facebook recently by scouters I k

The main problems with the "local option" argument are: 1.That is exactly what allowed segregation to exist in BSA troops until the 1970s.  2. Hypocritically, it was some outside COs, troops

Why would the BSA feel the need to wade into this?  Does National not know the Scout oath and the Scout law?  I just marked a Scouts rank advancement tonight about how he lives the law and the oath in

2 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

They wreak of knee jerk reaction 

No, I think they have been planning something like this for some time now.  They have probably been looking for a reason to impose their political correctness doctrine.  I don't think this is just a knee jerk reaction.  I think they are taking advantage of recent events to do what they have been wanting to do all along.

This won't be just about racism.  They will add the whole liberal grocery list.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Agree to that.  But these moves won't address any of that.  Stuff and fluff...

If there is a merit. Badge which discusses racism, discrimination, and how it is able to perpetuate, and how to see it and react, why is that a bad thing?How does that not help? Racism is learned, not an innate belief.     

• Upvote 1

Honest question 

Have you read BLMs manifesto?

Looked at their stated goals?

Can you honestly say they are  compatible with scouting?

As for me "bending the knee" and begging forgiveness for my "white guilt", not gonna happen.  I believe we once fought a war so that we could stop kneeling to King George III.  My ancestors fought the redcoats in that war, and died in the war to free the slaves 85 years later.  

• Thanks 1

While BSA has had Black scouts since its founding; as an organization it also allowed COs to continue racist membership policies such as segregation as recently as the 1970s. Residual racism still exists even if it is not overt. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Navybone said:

How does that not help?    

It doesn't help stop the rioting, looting, and arson.  I doesn't help show our support for law and order, or for the police who put their lives on the line to protect us every day.

The scouting program of my youth were unapologetically pro-military and pro-police.  

• Upvote 1

IMHO,  the larger issue is injustice... liberty and justice for all,  helping other people at all times is the Scout Way.

My $0.02,

P.S I wonder if Dan Beard Council will return $2.5M from the Marge Schott Foundation and drain Lake Marge Schott?

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Navybone said:

What Alternative would you propose?

Something much more like this:  https://www.scouts.org.uk/news/2020/june/a-statement-from-chief-scout-bear-grylls/   A statement of support; of the idea that justice, empathy, and peace are part of the very fabric of Scouting; that these events reinforce the necessity for each Scout, each Scouter, each unit, each Council, and every other component of the Boy Scouts of America to ensure that we are living and acting every day in accordance with those principles.  It must be deep, open-ended, and continuing. 

By responding with steps that are minor -- a merit badge, a sensitivity class, a review of property names -- BSA is saying that the underlying racial issues are minor.  And that is coming from an organization that just a few years ago was seen as one of the biggest advocates of discrimination and exclusion in America.  

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Navybone said:

What Alternative would you propose?

The alternative is quite simple. If BSA believes that BLM has merit, they should:

Encourage scouts to participate in the rallies in uniform either with the movement or with the police (both-and is possible), and help all participants maintain peace and order as they advocate their position.

No merit badges, no rank advancement ... just another good turn daily.

It's not original either. It's what we do. From two years ago: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39804471

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Agree to that.  But these moves won't address any of that.  Stuff and fluff...

What additional actions would you have BSA take to help eliminate discrimination?  Are there other best practices that they should follow and are not?

• Upvote 1