BSA's Commitment to Act Against Racial Injustice

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone, it's me, again, a moderator. It seems that the temperature on social media has gone up in the past week. I've seen some really ugly things posted on facebook recently by scouters I k

The main problems with the "local option" argument are: 1.That is exactly what allowed segregation to exist in BSA troops until the 1970s.  2. Hypocritically, it was some outside COs, troops

Why would the BSA feel the need to wade into this?  Does National not know the Scout oath and the Scout law?  I just marked a Scouts rank advancement tonight about how he lives the law and the oath in

On 7/3/2020 at 1:55 PM, John-in-KC said:

My two cents:  If she donated the property and built the building, and the Council opts to rename them, then the Council owes her heirs the money back, with interest equal to the annual rates of inflation. 

It’s the right thing to do. 

My two cents: Once a gift is given, it is the recipients to do with as they please. If it was a conditional use agreement, where they can use the property/ building as long as it stays named after her, then that is a different situation.

16 minutes ago, awanatech said:

My two cents: Once a gift is given, it is the recipients to do with as they please. If it was a conditional use agreement, where they can use the property/ building as long as it stays named after her, then that is a different situation.

EVANS v. ABNEY(1970) Gives you a basis.  Don’t know how it would fly today but that is a precedent I learned in law school.

EVANS v. ABNEY is precedent but immaterial to the issue being discussed.  The restriction created by the settlor in that case - use of the property by Whites only - was held unenforceable under federal law, causing the trust to fail under Georgia state law.  The trust having failed, the property reverted to the heirs of the settlor of the trust, the odious Senator Bacon, as a matter of Georgia law.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, TAHAWK said:

EVANS v. ABNEY is precedent but immaterial to the issue being discussed.  The restriction created by the settlor in that case - use of the property by Whites only - was held unenforceable under federal law, causing the trust to fail under Georgia state law.  The trust having failed, the property reverted to the heirs of the settlor of the trust, the odious Senator Bacon, as a matter of Georgia law.

That is true, but I was responding to the idea of conditions in a previous comment demonstrating where such things have precedent.  The particulars of this are certainly not the same, but the idea of having to give back a gift is not new, even when times and sentiments change. 

On 7/4/2020 at 12:06 AM, yknot said:

I sure hope so. He's (Hornaday ~RS)  one of the ones who is hard to defend. 

William Boyce would be another.

Back to the OP,  whatever new literature (program or merit badges) comes, there should be an accurate historical account of the BSA in this regards. Discuss Negro scout troops, Interracial Service, Japanese-American scouts during WW2, how we can be a character building organization with flawed characters, ...There is bad but IMHO more good in our history, and the lessons to be learned support our mission - prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.

A young boy when the attacks on Pearl Harbor occurred, Shishima has vivid memories of the dehumanizing treatment (internment camp) he endured. One of the things that helped him maintain his youth and humanity was his participation in the Boy Scouts at Heart Mountain Relocation Center in Wyoming, which had enough troops to have its own Boy Scout council. "Scouting," Shishima says in a short video filmed at JANM, "that was my life, actually." After World War II, he went on to serve in the military and later returned to become a scout leader. Today, Shishima travels across the United States sharing his story of survival and speaking out in favor of civil rights and against social injustice.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/boy-scouts-and-barracks-learning-about-japanese-american-incarceration-ahead-national-youth

My $0.02,

Edited by RememberSchiff
added videos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On the speaking of Japanese BSA scouts. On ebay i bought a patrol leaders handbook from 1929. I found a name in the book and did some research. I reached out to the family and found out that it was his and they were very happy that I have it and will keep it safe.

It was owned by Jiro Aratani.  A little google sleuthing got me to this info about Mr. Aratani.  Mr. Aratani was interned in a Japanese relocation camp in WW2.

• Upvote 2
On 7/5/2020 at 3:33 PM, mashmaster said:

On the speaking of Japanese BSA scouts. On ebay i bought a patrol leaders handbook from 1929. I found a name in the book and did some research. I reached out to the family and found out that it was his and they were very happy that I have it and will keep it safe.

It was owned by Jiro Aratani.  A little google sleuthing got me to this info about Mr. Aratani.  Mr. Aratani was interned in a Japanese relocation camp in WW2.

And yes, he was a scout in the interment camp. I can't imagine how that worked out.

My family sadly were is different camps in Europe, but that is a different story.

• Sad 1
On 6/26/2020 at 11:10 AM, RememberSchiff said:

There are at least two topic threads here. One relating to the OP/BSA and the other a much larger view of civil disobedience/justice.

While trying to maintain discussion flow , I moved off-topic posts of the latter subject area to this new topic 

~ RS

ditto.. more wandering off OP BSA's Commitment to Act Against Racial Injustice.

I will again lock topic and move posts to 

Edited by RememberSchiff