AK-Eagle and I were talking about this last night on MSN. We were discussing parts of the Lost Scout incident, etc and I got to saying that I was looking into joining a SAR team when I turn 16. Problem was that the team is located over an hour away and I wouldnt want to have to go that far all the time.

Anyway, he suggested that I should start a SAR Crew. I liked the idea, though I doubt it would work too well here because I dont see there being a lot of participation that would be had.

I thought I would put it out here anyway and see what you guys think.

One question, just to clarify... A SO of PD, EMS etc could be a chartering org, correct?

Also, I've thought about talking with the Police Chief who is fairly new and is working on a lot of great stuff here about a LE Explorer group.

Let me know what you think. thanks:)

Venture Crew or Explorer Post? SAR could go either way.

I worked with an SAR Crew as a commissioner for a while. They were chartered by a volunteer fire department (some parts of the world, that's all they have) and focused mostly on scuba searches. However, they also trained for other emergency stuff. Most of it's members had no intention of a career in SAR, because they don't plan to move from their small town.

Hops, I think it's probable that you have volunteer fire departments in your neck of the woods. Talk to them and run your idea past them. If you get some interest, call your council office.

Good luck!

Unc.

Along the lines, but not quite SAR, would be a Venture Crew chartered to a downhill ski business. I'm sure they have people who patrol the hill for skiers in trouble (I forget what the term is, I don't ski) and I'm sure those guys and gals would be happy to train competent, serious teens, to take over when they're old enough.

Oh yeah -- ski patrol! That's the name. It even sounds like Scouting!

Unc.

Perception is simply a matter of reading the greens correctly for your putt. Not for everyone's putt.

To Hops:

Ta-Da! Talk around and soon you'll have a Crew, or a Post, depending on good advice from your council office and/or excited entity wanting help.

Good luck!

unc.

• 1 month later...

Start at the very first fire department you run across. I doubt you will get any discouragement from any of them, and I'll bet you will get more than a few interested departments. It sounds like a winner to me.

Best of Luck to you!

ASM1