Philmont forced to take another year off

Sadly Philmont has cancelled for 2020

It is with great disappointment that Philmont Scout Ranch announces the cancelation of all remaining programs for the 2020 summer season.  Due to the Governor’s COVID-19 guidelines, and the State of New Mexico Health Department’s restrictions regarding travel, our efforts to secure a portion of the summer season were denied.

The safety of our participants, staff and community has been and will remain our top priority. The Philmont staff were relentless in pursuing all options and will continue to assist participants as they navigate their options.

Key Points:

• The Reservation Contact and Lead Advisor for each crew were emailed a survey to complete after consulting with their crew.  
  • Philmont will waive the adult to youth ratio (if YPT guidelines are met) to accommodate Scouts who will “age out” by the time they are rescheduled through 2022. 
  • Philmont Training Center, Family Adventure Camp Participants, and NAYLE participants will receive a call next week (June 8-12) to discuss rescheduling options or refunds.
  • Individual Trek Participants were emailed a survey to complete.
  • Staff have received communication from the Seasonal Personnel office. 

https://www.philmontscoutranch.org/coronavirus/

Edited by RememberSchiff
added source link
  • Sad 3
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly Philmont has cancelled for 2020 It is with great disappointment that Philmont Scout Ranch announces the cancelation of all remaining programs for the 2020 summer season.  Due to the Governo

The virus does not distinguish between reasons for people gathering. Either it is safe or it is not safe.  If it is killing grandma to gather for one reason, it's killing grandma for all reasons.  If

The rules for this pandemic are now Calvinball.  Governors are extending lockdowns while participating in massive events with no social distancing.

NM seems to be implementing some extreme restrictions while other states are in the process of opening things up.  A week or so ago ABC News reported that states that began opening before May 4 saw no increase in deaths or infections.

I disagree with what NM is doing, but that doesn't really matter.  Sad news.

1 hour ago, 69RoadRunner said:

NM seems to be implementing some extreme restrictions while other states are in the process of opening things up.  A week or so ago ABC News reported that states that began opening before May 4 saw no increase in deaths or infections.

I disagree with what NM is doing, but that doesn't really matter.  Sad news.

NM seems to be one of the few sane states. It makes no sense to have kids coming in to your state from other geographic regions. This thing isn't knocked back yet. The focus needs to be on getting them back in school in the fall.  

• Upvote 1

Given that Philmont is now the only closed BSA HA base, and BSA needs cash immediately, do they sell it off this fall?  I hope not … but I'm' starting to get a bit concerned thinking that 2019 may have been the last year of Philmont Treks.  

Edit: Or perhaps, my optimistic thought, they can just exercise lines of credit against Philmont to get cash.

Edited by Eagle1993
hope
20 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

More likely Philmont was just stuck waiting for the state to make decisions on public openings and has ran out of time to have the camp ready.

Barry

Agreed, but an open Philmont would have generated positive cash for BSA.  Now that cash flow is gone, I'm concerned they will access debt against it or worse case sell it.

Hopefully not.

25 minutes ago, yknot said:

NM seems to be one of the few sane states. It makes no sense to have kids coming in to your state from other geographic regions. This thing isn't knocked back yet. The focus needs to be on getting them back in school in the fall. 

It's pretty certain that asymptomatic folks crossing your state line aren't going to bring in any more virus than your folks going out of state for business or pleasure.

At issue are bottlenecks. Lots of folks arriving by few mass transit hubs, checking in indoors, etc .... coupled with limited capacity to treat new cases. Contact tracing of post-modern nomads is a challenging exercise. And public health departments are putting the onus for accountability on camp staff. That's the real disappointment. From a public health perspective, camps would be ideal for training contact tracers ... an occupation we will certainly need come late fall. Forming the newly-unemployed into a Workman's Contact Tracing Corps would be a formidable endeavor, but the long-term payoff could be tremendous. But, I guess doing something of the sort would require a belief in big government that we all simply do not have.

1 hour ago, qwazse said:

Contact tracing of post-modern nomads is a challenging exercise.

Isn't the google/apple contact tracing app supposed to be ready real soon? I know the API has been out for a week or so.

1 hour ago, qwazse said:

It's pretty certain that asymptomatic folks crossing your state line aren't going to bring in any more virus than your folks going out of state for business or pleasure.

At issue are bottlenecks. Lots of folks arriving by few mass transit hubs, checking in indoors, etc .... coupled with limited capacity to treat new cases. Contact tracing of post-modern nomads is a challenging exercise. And public health departments are putting the onus for accountability on camp staff. That's the real disappointment. From a public health perspective, camps would be ideal for training contact tracers ... an occupation we will certainly need come late fall. Forming the newly-unemployed into a Workman's Contact Tracing Corps would be a formidable endeavor, but the long-term payoff could be tremendous. But, I guess doing something of the sort would require a belief in big government that we all simply do not have.

From an epidemiological standpoint, having a lot of people travel from places like NYC and MN to NM -- higher transmission areas to a lower transmission area -- is not a good idea.  Asymptomatic is not the same as non-infective.  

Also, you don't need a camp to be trained for contact tracing. I'm doing it online. It's very similar to BSA online training.  

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, yknot said:

Not really.  On May 28, ABC News tracked the 21 states that started opening up before May 4.  There was no major increase in deaths or infections.

Also, you can drive into NM and not have to do the 14 day quarantine.

1 hour ago, 69RoadRunner said:

Not really.  On May 28, ABC News tracked the 21 states that started opening up before May 4.  There was no major increase in deaths or infections.

Also, you can drive into NM and not have to do the 14 day quarantine.

You are proving my point. For the most part, routine national travel for business or pleasure has not resumed.  Businesses other than local are not sending their employees across the country. People are not traveling to weddings and graduations, and college students are not returning home from school because they are already there.  People so far have not resumed vacation travel. And we've been relatively OK. A trend to send people farther afield from one region into another will likely paint a different picture.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, yknot said:

You are proving my point. For the most part, routine national travel for business or pleasure has not resumed.  Businesses other than local are not sending their employees across the country. People are not traveling to weddings and graduations, and college students are not returning home from school because they are already there.  People so far have not resumed vacation travel. And we've been relatively OK. A trend to send people farther afield from one region into another will likely paint a different picture.

You're speculating.