Hit Me with Court of Honor Ideas

As of this moment, our council is still not allowing any in-person scouting, despite the NJ governor giving the okay for meetings of up to 25 people, as long as masks are worn and distancing takes place.  So... this means that unless something changes very soon, we will be having our end-of-school-year COH online.  

I'm so Covid'ed out that I think maybe we should cancel the whole thing.  My 'Cheerful' is gone.   The best I can muster might be a lackluster persistence.  In any case, I'll still try to come up with at least one or two ideas for presenting our Troop's scouts with their two rank advancements and four merit badges (sad, sad).

Interested in hearing what others are doing/have done.

Also, we have one scout who has reached the amazing feat of over 300 hours of service in his time as a scout.  Any cool ideas for that?  Our troop wants to get him a plaque, which is nice, but also kind of lackluster, imho.  Whatever we do for him, I want to make sure it will fit in a pillowcase.  When he was SPL, he instituted the practice of giving 'awards' at the end of the Troop meetings, and having scouts pick something from a pillowcase of stuff (little things like a foam airplane, a mini soccer ball, water balloons, etc.)  Of course, this became known as "J***'s sack'.  Cue the inappropriate but very funny scout comments.  In his honor, I think we MUST present whatever it is in a sack.

1 hour ago, swilliams said:

Also, we have one scout who has reached the amazing feat of over 300 hours of service in his time as a scout.  Any cool ideas for that? 

Sounds easy. A sack full of silly toys along with a nice plaque buried down in the toys. A nice mix of fun and serious.

• Upvote 1

If I were in your shoes ... my feet might hurt. But let me just throw this out there:

Instead of a Pope-mobile, have a scout-mobile!

Find an outdoor location or set of streets that form a safely driveable block. See if someone can loan you a convertable or two, or a pick-up truck with a lounge chair ... or bicycles pulling wagons ... or chariots* ... Scout families take their place around the walk/drive. SPL shouts for the colorguard to "advance", i.e. get in the cars and be driven to central locations where they can raise colors prominently. To deliver awards, one would "drive" a vehicle up to the scout in question, transport him to the SPL, who dispenses awards. You then transport the scout around the arena proclaiming, "Behold, ___ is now a tenderfoot scout." Repeat for the rest of the group.

*If you were near me, I have a couple of biers on which to place chairs to carry a candidate. :cool: Mrs. Q would be happy to see me part with them.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, qwazse said:

If I were in your shoes ... my feet might hurt. But let me just throw this out there:

Instead of a Pope-mobile, have a scout-mobile!

Find an outdoor location or set of streets that form a safely driveable block. See if someone can loan you a convertable or two, or a pick-up truck with a lounge chair ... or bicycles pulling wagons ... or chariots* ... Scout families take their place around the walk/drive. SPL shouts for the colorguard to "advance", i.e. get in the cars and be driven to central locations where they can raise colors prominently. To deliver awards, one would "drive" a vehicle up to the scout in question, transport him to the SPL, who dispenses awards. You then transport the scout around the arena proclaiming, "Behold, ___ is now a tenderfoot scout." Repeat for the rest of the group.

*If you were near me, I have a couple of biers on which to place chairs to carry a candidate. :cool: Mrs. Q would be happy to see me part with them.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but need to point out it is illegal is most states for kids to ride in the back of a pickup on any public road. It is also disallowed in GTSS on lands public or private. For good reason I think? All of the times I have been in the back of a pick up truck have been just one click away from mayhem and maiming lol. 

Instead of a plaque for the kid who did 300 hours of service (very impressive) what about small donations in his honor by his buddies to some of the recipients of his service? I'd rather have that than a plaque. If the kid is that driven to help others, that will mean more to him as well, right? The note card explaining the honor and perhaps listing the donations could be buried in a pillow case of cheap gag or fun gifts as someone else suggested. A rolled up certificate as well. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, yknot said:

I appreciate your enthusiasm but need to point out it is illegal is most states for kids to ride in the back of a pickup on any public road. It is also disallowed in GTSS on lands public or private. For good reason I think? All of the times I have been in the back of a pick up truck have been just one click away from mayhem and maiming lol. 

Instead of a plaque for the kid who did 300 hours of service (very impressive) what about small donations in his honor by his buddies to some of the recipients of his service? I'd rather have that than a plaque. If the kid is that driven to help others, that will mean more to him as well, right? The note card explaining the honor and perhaps listing the donations could be buried in a pillow case of cheap gag or fun gifts as someone else suggested. A rolled up certificate as well. 

There is a very large parking lot adjacent to one of the schools. I’ll check, but I’d think that if you’re not on the roads, it would be okay. It sounds like fun. Something that’s been sorely missing lately. 

Maybe even make a chariot pulled by a bicycle or something similar. 

1 hour ago, yknot said:

I appreciate your enthusiasm but need to point out it is illegal is most states for kids to ride in the back of a pickup on any public road. It is also disallowed in GTSS on lands public or private. For good reason I think? All of the times I have been in the back of a pick up truck have been just one click away from mayhem and maiming lol.  ...

Yeah, I guess there's no replicating my early career as a paperweight when the drivers of dad's beer truck were too lazy to anchor the tarp. :ph34r:

Replace "pickup truck" with "parade float" and we'll be in compliance.

31 minutes ago, swilliams said:

... Maybe even make a chariot pulled by a bicycle or something similar. 

And if the reporters show up and ask, be sure to tell them you got the idea from some stranger on the internet!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, DuctTape said:

Have you asked the PLC what they are planning? It is their Court after all.

We’re all (scouts, SM, ASMs, and committee) supposed to come up with ideas. We’re ‘meeting’ tomorrow night to put the ideas forward. 

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, swilliams said:

We’re all (scouts, SM, ASMs, and committee) supposed to come up with ideas. We’re ‘meeting’ tomorrow night to put the ideas forward. 

Might I suggest holding off on adults putting forth ideas and wait for the scouts to ask?  A simple reminder from the SM to the SPL that "if they are stuck, he is willing to help with a suggestion or two". Even during these times, maintaining the Patrol Method, scout-led, and other structural devices is important. Knowing the different adult roles, and how to not over-step is key. Scouts and adults have different roles, and adults should be careful to not blur the lines. 

• Upvote 1

We are in NJ too. We have decided to not meet in person until July/August the earliest. We will have our COH virtually, but not sure what/how we will do it. I would not not have it. The scouts that earned MBs or rank need to be awarded sooner rather than later. And this is something uplifting during these times. Our scouts will guide how it happens, but I heard talk of dropping the awards off with the parents beforehand. Then when the award is announced virtually the parent can give it out.

Mimic some of our graduation ceremonies:   Our high school had a parade.  Decorated cars and the graduate rode in the car to wave at everyone.  Middle school set up a podium with their awards in front of the school and the students walked single file, 6 feet apart in front of the podium, were handed their awards.  They then walked directly to their parents cars.  We were parked in the school parking lot watching and listening to their names being called over the local radio station.   
I’ve seen some cubs where the cubmaster and den leaders went from house to hose to present awards.  One carried their bridge with them so the scouts could bridge up to the next rank.  Another pack set up their awards at a set location and scheduled times for each scout and a parent to come be presented their awards.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 3:55 PM, qwazse said:

And if the reporters show up and ask, be sure to tell them you got the idea from some stranger on the internet!

There ya go,  make the effort, local paper, local TV station, County Cable channel, Community Facebook page,  Neighborhood link,,,,,    How's the "reporter"  going to come if you don't tell them ?

On 6/11/2020 at 12:54 AM, Mom2a said:

We were parked in the school parking lot watching and listening to their names being called over the local radio station.  

Brilliant !  Absolutely Brilliant !  That is the local point I mean...    Might even invite Jane Pauley and "Sunday Morning" from CBS to come by !