We're a troop. Our committee is active and well-functioning.

There are about 15 families in the troop and nearly every one has a representative on the committee. We ask that new families provide one adult to serve on the committee for one year. However, we have yet to have one ask to step down after that first year. Most of the families who do not have a committee member have a parent serving as an ASM.

Our committee meets once a month, for about an hour or so. We have good participation, except for the summer months. The SM (me) and the ASMs are invited to join, and usually do. While not members of the committee, it allows us to cover more details and improves communications.

Most committee members have a specific role (treasurer, secretary, activities, advancement, fund-raising, etc.). Some do their job well, others do no. For example, I handle a great deal of the advancement responsibilities, since they are somewhat undependable.

Only a few of the members are trained. I'm really trying to get them to do that. I've even purchased the troop committee training kit for ourselves since our district didn't own one. I had a heart-to-heart with them back a few months ago where I pleaded with them to do their job, and allow me to do mine. It helped, and I hope the spirit continues. They have difficulty grasping what's their responsibility and what is mine. I think the Troop committee challenge would help with that.

1) What type of scouting unit is it? Pack.

2) Do you feel you have a well functioning committee? No.

3) How many memebers are on it and what are their specific assignments? 4 MCs total with specific assignments a tough area--currently only PWD & B&G Banquet assigned to MCs.

= = = And the other unit I serve: = = = = =

1) What type of scouting unit is it? Troop.

I>2) Do you feel you have a well functioning committee? Yes. I went to the first meeting tonight, having recently transferred my membership from one troop to another, and serve as MC. Great team of people who work well together--what a pleasure to work with!

3) How many memebers are on it and what are their specific assignments? CC: sets agenda, this one being a list of committees/roles that were filled along with those not yet filled, and during the meeting most were filled. He also acts as service coordinator, but he asks for different parents or MCs to serve in organizing each different project. He is also very supportive of the SM, working closely with him. MCs each take on the following roles (either doing themselves or putting together a committee to handle them): Advancement, Membership, Camping Coordinator (local tour permit, secure reservations), Secretary (minutes and correspondence), Treasurer, Marketing and Recruiting, Webelos contact (4 local packs to recruit from), Newsletter, Webmaster, Adult Coaches to Librarian, Historian, QM, and Scribe, and a few others that I don't recall but did take notes on.

1) What type of scouting unit is it?

New troop with 10 scouts registered currently.

2) Do you feel you have a well functioning committee?

Yes. We have no "trouble makers". Everyone has a role and fulfills their responsibilities, are committed, gets along and works well as a team. Some are fully trained and some partially trained. We have only been a troop since June and the people who are not trained will be attending the Troop Committee Challenge and other training at POW WOW Plus (Scouting University) during the first weekend of November.

2) How many memebers are on it and what are their specific assignments?

We currently have 6 committee members. We have the chairperson, a treasurer, equipment coordinator, secretary, advancement chair and fundraising coordinator. The SM is our District Training Chair and functions as the troop training chair, I'm an ASM and serve as the activity/camping coordinator and our other ASM serves as Chaplain.

EagleinKY,

I found it curious that you say you and the ASM's are invited and usually attend. From my viewpoint, it is essential that you attend. Your SPL should be there too. While a lot of "business" can take place offline during the month, the committee meeting is where the boy and adult leaders should be reporting on how the program is going and making known any needs they have. It is true that SM's and ASM's are not "voting" members, but they are an integral part of the committee process.

Beaver - Good catch. I guess I should have said that I "always" attend. The ASMs usually attend (they all have crazy travel schedules). The SPL (and sometimes the ASPL) attends at the beginning when we talk about activities, but doesn't stay for the whole meeting.

) What type of scouting unit is it?

Troop

If I have to answer yes or no only, I would say yes.

2) How many memebers are on it and what are their specific assignments?

About 12.

Chair, Advancement, hospitality, adult quartermaster, transportation, treasurer, charter org. rep., chaplain, newsletter, the rest help out when they can.

1) What type of scouting unit is it?

Troop

No. I assumed the SM position in December after the troop was foundering with an absent SM and trying to run the troop by committee (too many cooks!). Now the CC is unwilling to give up control so the program can function as it was designed to. Other members are confused by what is happening and don't know how to help the situation.

3) How many members are on it and what are their specific assignments?

12 members. 6 have specif jobs; CC, Advancement chair, treasurer, secretary, quartermaster and COR are the only ones with specific duties. Our secretary also handles fundraising.

Spider,

I was going to suggest that you urge your committee to go get training. But there is a better answer. Since you have 12 on your committee, ask the District Training chair or his representative to come to your committee and provide the training to everyone at the same time. It can be custom fit to your needs with group discussion taking place in the meeting. Everyone receives the same training at the same time and hopefully will all be singing from the same page afterwards.

1. troop

2. committee is not working as well as it should. This is partly because of inexperience on their parts but mostly because there is no representation on it by the CO. I think training would help. It would be even better if the CO became active in its support and those members got the training.

3. We only have about 6 who are fully active and they are multitasking. We need more members.

Pack Committee. We function quite well, IMHO! We have... Committee Chair, Cubmaster, Entertainment person, Newsletter/Webmaster (me), Advancement Chair/Hikemaster (my husband, who doesn't always attend meetings since I go), Treasurer, and 3-4 "Members At Large". We take turns being point person for events and work together to keep things moving and make Scouting a great experience for the boys. :) We meet once a month except for July.

Thank you, SR540Beaver, for your advice.

Three quarters of the committee has had training. The sad thing is the Committee Chair, Secretary and I took training together and at one time we were all on the same page. Last night they had an emergency committee meeting and I am expecting a confrontation at tonite's meeting. I have always been included in committee meetings except for this one so I assume I was the reason for the meeting. I have written out my plan for the troop and I will offer it up to them tonite. We will see if their understanding of the program is still the same as mine. Wish me luck!