Jump to content
Eagle94-A1

New National Fees Announced.

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, swilliams said:

That would bring council/national fees to $96.  Our troop has always set fees at $100 (and did so last year, even with the increase).  There's no way we get by only getting $4 from scouts for the year.  That doesn't even cover the cost of the handbook (Troop provided), let alone the class B shirt and neckerchief we give new scouts, rank patches and MB patches, etc.

Its just pennies a day,, other activities cost more, just sell more popcorn, have a carwash...     Thats all the pig lipstick I can think of right now to rationalize the increases.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious....has anyone ever had a potential new Scout's parent tell you that they were joining because this is such a great value and way cheaper than the X activity we were going to sign him up to do.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PACAN said:

Just curious....has anyone ever had a potential new Scout's parent tell you that they were joining because this is such a great value and way cheaper than the X activity we were going to sign him up to do.

Yes. Obviously the parents who join think it's worth the cost ... even after I describe the clothing and gear that the scout will be buying over time - especially if he's nuts about Jambo or other HA's ... doubly if the parent dives in as well.

Many of them also "get" that vetting adults ain't cheap.

But, for the parent who's paying for school tuition, sports fees, music lessons, church camp, etc ... they are going to think twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, qwazse said:

Yes. Obviously the parents who join think it's worth the cost ... even after I describe the clothing and gear that the scout will be buying over time - especially if he's nuts about Jambo or other HA's

Yes, it is obvious.  A scout who can afford jamborees and high adventure trips is not likely to care about increased fees.  It's the scouting families who can't afford the high-end stuff that I'm worried about.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David CO said:

Yes, it is obvious.  A scout who can afford jamborees and high adventure trips is not likely to care about increased fees.  It's the scouting families who can't afford the high-end stuff that I'm worried about.  

It's funny what people think they can and cannot afford. I'm more likely to take flack from big-ticket scouting parents over registration fees than I am from a parent with four kids and barely two sticks to rub together. But, that parent of little means probably does not have college debt, has settled for public school, vacations are c/o grandparents, and they aren't investing boatloads in housing (or boats).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since it was brought up, our council's jamboree cost for next year is $2300+.  That's for one scout.  Crazy since the jamboree event alone is about $1100.  I don't see a lot of High Adventure or Jamborees in my future.  Since I've been to Philmont 3X and a Natl Jambo once.  I have to just shake my head. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here is a question on a possible loophole.  If a new scout joins BSA before 1 Aug, do they skip the $25 one-time registration fee.  If so, I can see a big push to save money and sign up early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PACAN said:

Just curious....has anyone ever had a potential new Scout's parent tell you that they were joining because this is such a great value and way cheaper than the X activity we were going to sign him up to do.

Never. And that's why that argument makes no sense. People join because it gives their kids something they can't get elsewhere. But they will only put up with it or seek it out if it's affordable and not too stressful to belong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 7:38 PM, Double Eagle said:

So here is a question on a possible loophole.  If a new scout joins BSA before 1 Aug, do they skip the $25 one-time registration fee.  If so, I can see a big push to save money and sign up early.

Yes, our Council is pushing that very thing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...