New National Fees Announced.

2 hours ago, swilliams said:

That would bring council/national fees to $96.  Our troop has always set fees at $100 (and did so last year, even with the increase).  There's no way we get by only getting $4 from scouts for the year.  That doesn't even cover the cost of the handbook (Troop provided), let alone the class B shirt and neckerchief we give new scouts, rank patches and MB patches, etc.

Its just pennies a day,, other activities cost more, just sell more popcorn, have a carwash...     Thats all the pig lipstick I can think of right now to rationalize the increases.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It worked! She "helped aid the confusion"!

The out-of-pocket annual cost to fully participate in our troop (including registrations, summer camp, 8 weekend campouts, patches and just about everything else but high adventure) is around $1,000.

As I have watched the BSA over these last 50+ years I often wonder Do we raise money to have Scouts OR do we have Scout to be able to raise money?  Seems like so much of the professional time is

Posted Images

Just curious....has anyone ever had a potential new Scout's parent tell you that they were joining because this is such a great value and way cheaper than the X activity we were going to sign him up to do.

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, PACAN said:

Just curious....has anyone ever had a potential new Scout's parent tell you that they were joining because this is such a great value and way cheaper than the X activity we were going to sign him up to do.

Yes. Obviously the parents who join think it's worth the cost ... even after I describe the clothing and gear that the scout will be buying over time - especially if he's nuts about Jambo or other HA's ... doubly if the parent dives in as well.

Many of them also "get" that vetting adults ain't cheap.

But, for the parent who's paying for school tuition, sports fees, music lessons, church camp, etc ... they are going to think twice.

1 hour ago, qwazse said:

Yes. Obviously the parents who join think it's worth the cost ... even after I describe the clothing and gear that the scout will be buying over time - especially if he's nuts about Jambo or other HA's

Yes, it is obvious.  A scout who can afford jamborees and high adventure trips is not likely to care about increased fees.  It's the scouting families who can't afford the high-end stuff that I'm worried about.  

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, David CO said:

Yes, it is obvious.  A scout who can afford jamborees and high adventure trips is not likely to care about increased fees.  It's the scouting families who can't afford the high-end stuff that I'm worried about.  

It's funny what people think they can and cannot afford. I'm more likely to take flack from big-ticket scouting parents over registration fees than I am from a parent with four kids and barely two sticks to rub together. But, that parent of little means probably does not have college debt, has settled for public school, vacations are c/o grandparents, and they aren't investing boatloads in housing (or boats).

Since it was brought up, our council's jamboree cost for next year is $2300+.  That's for one scout.  Crazy since the jamboree event alone is about $1100.  I don't see a lot of High Adventure or Jamborees in my future.  Since I've been to Philmont 3X and a Natl Jambo once.  I have to just shake my head. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, PACAN said:

Never. And that's why that argument makes no sense. People join because it gives their kids something they can't get elsewhere. But they will only put up with it or seek it out if it's affordable and not too stressful to belong. 

On 6/3/2020 at 7:38 PM, Double Eagle said:

So here is a question on a possible loophole.  If a new scout joins BSA before 1 Aug, do they skip the $25 one-time registration fee.  If so, I can see a big push to save money and sign up early.

Yes, our Council is pushing that very thing.

• Upvote 1